Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 01:14 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,133,498 times

Advertisements

After the GOP stops Trump, does the GOP plan to change any of its policies? I haven't heard anything from the GOP establishment magazines about the GOP planning to change anything so it seems like they plan to win them back with their current policies. I know that the GOP wants to ratify the TPP and bring in Indonesia, Cambodia, the Philippines, Bangladesh, India, South Korea, Laos, and etc into the TPP because the establishment is very sure this will make Trump voters happy since Trump voters love free trade and globalism. Furthermore, the GOP establishment is very sure that Trump voters love immigration and diversity since they have stated that they will reform immigration laws and H1B laws to let in more immigrants into the US. Clearly, the GOP establishment has a plan to win them back. With this leadership, the GOP has a bright future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 01:20 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,008,211 times
I understand you are being sarcastic, but to Trumps credit he has zeroed in on the Free Trade Agreements, you now hear even democratic candidates talking about trade reform, so I suspect thats going to be a low hanging fruit issue for politicians for the next couple of years.

Old 03-27-2016, 03:43 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Lightbulb What's next for the GOP

Step 1: Derail Trump

Step 2: Parachute in someone with zero primary votes as the nominee

Step 3: Get clobbered in November

But always stay on message.

Republican strategy...

Old 03-27-2016, 06:56 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
What any evil, grainy and power-mad Oligarch would do........try to get more power and control. I would guess something on the scale of Medicare Part-D.

Or better yet, put us into another ill-advised and illogical boots-on-the-ground war...that we will eventually lose.

Old 03-27-2016, 07:00 PM

35,690 posts, read 21,045,148 times
If the dems. do not win this election- its simply will be chaos come Nov - I can't see the humpty dumpy Reps being put back together again- the people have spoken-- NO more Republican hogwash

Old 03-28-2016, 08:26 AM

5,299 posts, read 6,177,484 times
The current Republican Party is too big a tent for the various ideologies comprising its supporters. I suggest that it split into 2 parties: 1. The "New Conservatives," where movement conservatives, neocons, free market/free trade types, big business types, some social conservatives and national defense types would find a home and 2. The "USA First" party, a paleo right wing group who are opposed to unfettered free trade, perpetual war, finance capital oligarchs, most all immigration and want to see the US industrial sector revived and revitalized and fiscal prudence practiced.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:30 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,542,326 times
The Republican Establishment Party will not be a national force in 2020 if Trump isn't nominated and they know it.

They have lost their base.

They will go the way of the Whigs.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:36 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
The current Republican Party is too big a tent for the various ideologies comprising its supporters. I suggest that it split into 2 parties: 1. The "New Conservatives," where movement conservatives, neocons, free market/free trade types, big business types, some social conservatives and national defense types would find a home and 2. The "USA First" party, a paleo right wing group who are opposed to unfettered free trade, perpetual war, finance capital oligarchs, most all immigration and want to see the US industrial sector revived and revitalized and fiscal prudence practiced.
The problem with this scenario is the Evangelicals. Does one of these parties adopt the anti-gay, anti-abortion wing of the party? You mentioned social conservatives in the first group, but I think in terms of economics, the rank and file fit more with the second.

The second group could actually win elections with a less absurd candidate (not Trump IOW) if the backed down on the crazy social stuff. You will only win Southern Paleos with the crazy bible thumping stuff. If you back off on that stuff, you start bringing in Northern and Midwestern blue collar types, and you could win elections in a 3 way race.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:48 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,542,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
The problem with this scenario is the Evangelicals. Does one of these parties adopt the anti-gay, anti-abortion wing of the party? You mentioned social conservatives in the first group, but I think in terms of economics, the rank and file fit more with the second.

The second group could actually win elections with a less absurd candidate (not Trump IOW) if the backed down on the crazy social stuff. You will only win Southern Paleos with the crazy bible thumping stuff. If you back off on that stuff, you start bringing in Northern and Midwestern blue collar types, and you could win elections in a 3 way race.
The Republican establishment's donors want unlimited immigration and access to slave labor in Mexico and Asia. They don't want a base of the taxpaying middle class.

Last edited by Goinback2011; 03-28-2016 at 08:57 AM..

Old 03-28-2016, 08:53 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
The Republican establishment's donors want unlimited immigration and access to slave labor in Mexuco and Asia. They don't want a base of the taxpaying middle class.
Right, and that's why they are ripe to lose a good chunk of their base to a third party.

Likewise, the donors of the Democratic party want pretty much the same things, they just wrap it in liberal/one world/we love the Mexicans rhetoric, so they are ripe for losing many working/middle class people as well. I'm a Democrat and a leftist..I hear Clinton saying "we don't build walls". I translate that to "we don't enforce the laws we choose not to enforce because we want the Hispanic vote".

It's an issue I'm at odds with the Democrats on. Illegal immigration and H1b's are bad for most Americans, bottom line, but the establishments of both parties are 100% pro both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies