Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2016, 04:18 AM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
In California, that still won't be enough, because everything is so much more expensive in CA. That's why we left. It's ridiculous. I honestly don't know how anyone can afford to live there. And my brother-in-law tells me that he was fined $500 for collecting rainwater off his roof in a rain barrel to water his garden!!! Rain water! You cannot collect rain water in CA!!!

I hope California falls on its face to be honest lol I don't know why people live out there anyway because of the craziness lol

I spent some time there when I was in the navy. Tt was a nice place to visit but I knew right away it wasn't a nice place to live haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 07:35 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
So if minimum wage went up 2% each year from 1960 to today, where would it be at today?
Does it really matter? That's not how wages are decided in case you don't know.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:02 AM

2,464 posts, read 1,285,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Does it really matter? That's not how wages are decided in case you don't know.
Actually yes it does matter, the minimum wage should be tied to inflation. I know, I know, people should be paid as little as possible because right wingers all wish we lived in a 3rd world country where they can all brag about being rich even though they themselves are on the verge of poverty.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Actually yes it does matter, the minimum wage should be tied to inflation.
No, it doesn't. The leftist masters told you that but it's not true. No wages should be tied to inflation. In the real world, only the arbitrary wages such as the minimum wage is "supposed to" be tired to inflation.

Quote:
I know, I know, people should be paid as little as possible because right wingers all wish we lived in a 3rd world country where they can all brag about being rich even though they themselves are on the verge of poverty.
Would you not want to pay as little as possible when you purchase stuff? Maybe you want to be paid as much as possible but would not pay a penny more when you make purchases. That surely would work.

We all want to pay as little as possible in every business transaction. If you want to be paid more, increase your competitiveness.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:20 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
Quote:
Actually yes it does matter, the minimum wage should be tied to inflation. I know, I know, people should be paid as little as possible because right wingers all wish we lived in a 3rd world country where they can all brag about being rich even though they themselves are on the verge of poverty.
If you want higher wages, that's not too hard to achieve; just invest a little time in a skill that's in demand -- there are plenty of them that don't require a degree. Even a long-haul trucker can make $50K -- if (s)he has the discipline to stick to the job; an a lot of semi-technical careers on the periphery of medicine pay a lot more.

One little catch, though; You will be expected to participate (a/k/a "work" ) and it will likely involve the "big third grade" -- a long chain of strict 9-to-5 regimentation; you might have "skills", but you are usually compelled to sell time, attention, and subjugation. Not an attractive prospect for those swaddled by the less-personal (and -demanding) electronic media.

Just how it works; don't blame the messenger for the message.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:22 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Gov. Brown hails deal to raise minimum wage to $15 as 'matter of economic justice'
The governor's plan, crafted through weeks of private negotiations among a small group of lawmakers and labor officials, increases the current $10 statewide minimum wage by 50 cents on Jan. 1 to $10.50 an hour. From there, it would rise to $11 in 2018 and subsequent dollar-a-year increases ending at $15 on Jan. 1, 2022.

Senate President Pro Tem Kevin de León (D-Los Angeles) said 5.6 million people, or one in three California workers, would get a raise.

Business leaders complained they were shut out of the negotiations and predicted that increasing the minimum wage would force businesses to raise prices.

“Everyone wants higher wages for folks, but if you can only raise prices so much ... you're going to be forced to cut hours, cut employees, change your business model and frankly, automate,” said Ruben Gonzalez, senior advisor for strategic affairs at the Los Angeles Area Chamber of Commerce.

The legislative wage proposal makes one concession to small businesses, by allowing those with fewer than 26 workers an additional year to raise wages. The $15-an-hour minimum wage wouldn't apply to those employers until Jan. 1, 2023.
Did they really just do this? According to this, the real bite in minimum wage hike will occur in 2022. Next year, it's an extra 50 cents. They lit the hand grenade and threw it 6 years down the road.

The whole problem is that the wrong people are setting the wages. But as long as the people don't get it, and keep voting these people into office - this will continue until the people price themselves out of their jobs in lieu of undocumented workers and robots that will work at a cheaper cost.

But their focus is on economic justice, not sustainability.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:26 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times
Quote:
So if minimum wage went up 2% each year from 1960 to today, where would it be at today?

It was $1.00 in 1960. At 3.5% it would be 1.035^56 x $1.00, or $6.87 an hour. At 2% much lower.

To justify $15/hr today, inflation would have to be about 5% a year on average. It's not according to the government.

Using the CPI index, it's been just about 3.5%. Take out the outliers in the 70's and its 2.3%.

Last edited by TrapperJohn; 03-29-2016 at 12:35 PM..

Old 03-29-2016, 12:36 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,285,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
No, it doesn't. The leftist masters told you that but it's not true. No wages should be tied to inflation. In the real world, only the arbitrary wages such as the minimum wage is "supposed to" be tired to inflation.

Would you not want to pay as little as possible when you purchase stuff? Maybe you want to be paid as much as possible but would not pay a penny more when you make purchases. That surely would work.

We all want to pay as little as possible in every business transaction. If you want to be paid more, increase your competitiveness.
You do realize a deflation in prices isn't practical, nor would that happen. Paying people less would just mean your purchase power diminishes.

All wages are arbitrary, there is no chart for the value of a job, it is just what one is willing to offer and what one is willing to accept. Minimum wage is the floor wage so that those making the least aren't paid slave wages.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:38 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times
To summarize, based on inflation since 1960, the current minimum wage has outpaced inflation.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
You do realize a deflation in prices isn't practical, nor would that happen. Paying people less would just mean your purchase power diminishes.

All wages are arbitrary, there is no chart for the value of a job, it is just what one is willing to offer and what one is willing to accept. Minimum wage is the floor wage so that those making the least aren't paid slave wages.
Not all wages are arbitrary. Most wages are negotiated between the two or more consenting parties such as an employer and an employee. The minimum wage is arbitrary because the government puts a gun on everybody's head and forces them to pay at a certain amount.

A slave wage is what a slave must accept without choice - sort of like the minimum wage. When the "slave" can counteroffer, aka ask for higher pay, or choose another employer to work for, it's not a slave wage.

It's called freedom of choice, which is what this country was built upon.

You have no marketable skill that people would pay for is not anybody's fault but yourself. That you disagree with the wage doesn't make the wage "slavery."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies