Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2016, 03:50 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times

Advertisements

$200 an hour from a $12 worker. Funniest stuff ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 04:15 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,749,621 times
Are you telling me, that in just 6 years from now, a high school dropout could be making around $31,000 a year working at Subway or Chick-fil-A? That is amazing, but in reality I think most Companies are gonna close all the fast food stores in California or they will just have touch screen ordering stations, like they have at WAWA and I noticed McDonald's started using them in their stores.

Goodbye to all the cashier jobs at Walmart and Target. The Stores will all have self checkout stations.

Old 03-30-2016, 04:19 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,286,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Paying for something that has little value with millions people standing by and planning to offer you more competitive deals, even a penny is too high paying.

You don't seem to understand the relationship between value and pay. If your work doesn't generate value, even paying $0.01/hour is too high.

The question really is does the minimum wage worker generates enough value to be paid at $15? You may think so but the market certainly doesn't - you would have already been paid at $15 if the market had agreed. Since you can't get your way through peaceful and consensual negotiation, you decide to put a gun on every employer's head and force them to give you $15/hour.

That basically boils down to: an armed robbery!

You know who wins in the end? Not you. But I can tell you that you and the poor people will be the biggest losers in the end as businesses will certainly raise prices, cut positions, introduce more automation, hire over-qualified people, outsource, move, and/or go bankrupt.

I am trying to tell you not to shoot yourself in the foot but if you insist, I'd be more than happy to watch the show sitting at the front seat and laughing my behind off.
Wow, I don't even know how to respond to this other than it is clear how little you value people.....if only they could bring back slavery, based on this post it would make you happy.....

Old 03-30-2016, 04:25 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,558,340 times
Even leftists are confused with this minimum wage!!!

Old 03-30-2016, 04:28 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,591,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisinthehouse View Post
Are you telling me, that in just 6 years from now, a high school dropout could be making around $31,000 a year working at Subway or Chick-fil-A? That is amazing, but in reality I think most Companies are gonna close all the fast food stores in California or they will just have touch screen ordering stations, like they have at WAWA and I noticed McDonald's started using them in their stores.

Goodbye to all the cashier jobs at Walmart and Target. The Stores will all have self checkout stations.
Don't you understand, we don't want them. If they aren't going to pay the help,
they can fold up and leave. Other businesses will sprout up who don't have
a problem paying their employees a living wage.
Automation is a dangerless response, because we can pass laws forcing them
to employ workers.
People have had it up to the chin with fat cats living in mansions off the bones
of the working class. If they attempt to price their products out of range, then
we can pass laws restricting their profit level. We can pass laws that workers
must own a percentage of the company. Whatever it takes, because this
is war. War against a permananent, generational oligarchy.
The future is class warfare and protectionism.

Old 03-30-2016, 04:33 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,467,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
to employ workers.
People have had it up to the chin with fat cats living in mansions off the bones
of the working class. If they attempt to price their products out of range, then
Not sure if serious.

Old 03-30-2016, 05:04 PM

998 posts, read 665,261 times
It will improve the livelihood of some people in low wage jobs, and harm many others with low skills who are currently looking for entry level jobs. In fact, it's a double whammy on them, because there will be less positions offered for entry level workers, and increasing incentive for employers to implement automation. So basically it's harming the young and those who are less smart or motivated and chronically poor. Also, cost of living will rise because businesses will be forced to pass on those increased costs to consumers... so imagine being unemployed, and also needing to spend more on basic expenses. Basically it's going to harm the poor the most, or at least a lot of them.

Old 03-30-2016, 05:30 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisinthehouse View Post
...in reality I think most Companies are gonna close all the fast food stores in California...
Yeah, that'll happen.

Quote:
- and the shelves will stock themselves, the floors will be cleaned by robots, the trucks will be replaced by drone/blimp combos - anything to avoid paying the help.

Now, in the rel world - and in direct opposition to what people like you are trying to insist is a law of nature - stores like Trader Joe's and Costco are already paying their employees considerably above current minimum wage, yet somehow they manage to do quite well.

And it's a selling point in their favor, of course - there's a reason I have not visited a Walmart since 2004. I already help cover their payroll via food stamps, and I see no reason to give them another red cent.

Old 03-30-2016, 05:37 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
Quote:
to employ workers.

You funny!

Old 03-30-2016, 05:38 PM

548 posts, read 473,761 times
Quote:
to employ workers.

Goes to show you there are nuts on both sides here at CD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies