Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2016, 11:20 AM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I think this is a great measure. I particularly like pinning the wage hike to cost of living increases. My prediction is more people with more disposal income will be a great boon to the California economy, but of course some predict that this will be a job killer. Time will tell. I'm glad one state stepped forward and chose to be the experiment. If this goes well, we could finally see a reversal of the 40-year long declines in the standard of living for working Americans.

California lawmakers agree to a $15 minimum wage
I wholeheartedly support California to continue following the Seattle and Washington leadership in this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 11:25 AM

2,464 posts, read 1,286,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
It's not legally depress wages - it's called market rate. Even employers want to, they can't fight the market. Let the market decides what wage should be paid for a particular position.

Illegals are occupying a lot of jobs rightfully belong to American citizens and legal immigrants. If we kick them out, we would have millions of jobs opened up.

Provide more training and schooling. Make it part of the condition for getting welfare and unemployment.

Are you telling me minimum wage makers are so busy that they can't even spare a few hours a week to go through some job related training or school? I used to make below the minimum wage and I still had time to study.
Call it whatever you want but letting employers pay below minimum wage would be depressing the wages. Something you are clearly okay with.

Actually if we kick out illegals that are doing jobs, we will have a lot of jobs legal Americans don't want to do, especially for depressed wages. Though it makes more sense to go after those that hire illegals.

Did you live with your parents when you found time to study while working your minimum wage job? There is only so many hours in a day, when people consume too many of those hours working a below minimum wage job, then they run out of time for anything else.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:37 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
Call it whatever you want but letting employers pay below minimum wage would be depressing the wages. Something you are clearly okay with.
That's how every wage is set in case you don't know.

Quote:
Actually if we kick out illegals that are doing jobs, we will have a lot of jobs legal Americans don't want to do, especially for depressed wages. Though it makes more sense to go after those that hire illegals.
LOL. That's OK. The market will find a way. Please don't tell me before illegals, nobody was doing those jobs.

Quote:
Did you live with your parents when you found time to study while working your minimum wage job? There is only so many hours in a day, when people consume too many of those hours working a below minimum wage job, then they run out of time for anything else.
I didn't live with my parents. I had roommates. I grew up poor and knew how being poor is like. Nobody in America is poor.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:38 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,059,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
Australia's minimum wage is now $17.29 per hour. Plus casual workers get 25% loading on top of that.
https://www.fairwork.gov.au/how-we-w.../minimum-wages

My daughter is 20, a University student, and works part time in a supermarket- she gets about $18.50 an hour
17.29 Australian is about 13.20 US.
Still higher than most places in the US but just for perspective.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:56 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
People never cease to amaze me. Their logic is that the business owner is making outrageous profits. Therefore, we force the business owner to pay a "fair wage." So we raise the minimum wage. In reality, the business owner must now either cut costs or raise prices or both in order to still make a profit that justifies his investment. Or if he has a business like Amazon, he moves out of state, because he can operate cheaper in Az or NV, paying lower wages and lower taxes. The later will be the most likely scenario.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:59 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I think this is a great measure. I particularly like pinning the wage hike to cost of living increases. My prediction is more people with more disposal income will be a great boon to the California economy, but of course some predict that this will be a job killer. Time will tell. I'm glad one state stepped forward and chose to be the experiment. If this goes well, we could finally see a reversal of the 40-year long declines in the standard of living for working Americans.

California lawmakers agree to a $15 minimum wage
That's fantastic! /sarc

It's hard enough for those who do freelance or are employed working from home to get a job if they are in CA, this will make it next to impossible. It's not just brick and mortar jobs that will be affected. This is going to affect a LOT of people who are employed, (not IC), but work at home - which is a way some businesses, yes even Fortune 500 companies, have cut costs - because the jobs will not be available to CA residents due to the high minimum wage.

It was already shown that the businesses who did this in San Fran did not end up doing so well, and were in fear of losing their business after 18 years (one example), but we're just going to go right ahead and plow ahead with this.

You all keep missing EVERYTHING ELSE that you need to do in order for this to work, and even then, it's going to put a lot of people out of work.

Just keep believing that we only have 5% unemployment, keep voting to keep those borders open, keep pretending that the free trade argument is not valid, keep begging for free school...it's unbelievable how the people who keep rooting for this absolutely fail to take note of the repercussions of actions like this.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
People never cease to amaze me. Their logic is that the business owner is making outrageous profits. Therefore, we force the business owner to pay a "fair wage." So we raise the minimum wage. In reality, the business owner must now either cut costs or raise prices or both in order to still make a profit that justifies his investment. Or if he has a business like Amazon, he moves out of state, because he can operate cheaper in Az or NV, paying lower wages and lower taxes. The later will be the most likely scenario.
And somehow forcing people to pay you money with a gun to their head is considered "fair."

Old 03-28-2016, 12:04 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I am "people." I don't think business owners are making outrageous profits. Some are, some aren't. It depends. I do think that you should not be able to employ people at substandard wages, and wages below $15 are substandard. It seems like a huge increase, but it's just a necessary corrective to restore wages to what they were before labor started being eviscerated in the 1970s.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
That's fantastic! /sarc

It's hard enough for those who do freelance or are employed working from home to get a job if they are in CA, this will make it next to impossible. It's not just brick and mortar jobs that will be affected. This is going to affect a LOT of people who are employed, (not IC), but work at home - which is a way some businesses, yes even Fortune 500 companies, have cut costs - because the jobs will not be available to CA residents due to the high minimum wage.

It was already shown that the businesses who did this in San Fran did not end up doing so well, and were in fear of losing their business after 18 years (one example), but we're just going to go right ahead and plow ahead with this.

You all keep missing EVERYTHING ELSE that you need to do in order for this to work, and even then, it's going to put a lot of people out of work.

Just keep believing that we only have 5% unemployment, keep voting to keep those borders open, keep pretending that the free trade argument is not valid, keep begging for free school...it's unbelievable how the people who keep rooting for this absolutely fail to take note of the repercussions of actions like this.
Next thing we know is they are going to call every business moving their operation somewhere else an evil corporation.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:05 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
And somehow forcing people to pay you money with a gun to their head is considered "fair."
What? If you don't want to pay $15 an hour, you're free to leave California. Go find a low rent state to do business in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies