Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 12:18 PM

24,360 posts, read 22,930,701 times

Advertisements

The millenials are a mess and whatever generation comes after them are going to be even worse basket cases. Baby boomers were lucky they were born when they were and had a great economy given them and a society that was still only in a slow decline. Now both the economy and society are in a steady steep decline that is only getting worse and every new generation is less equipped to deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 12:30 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,217,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupBro View Post
It can't come soon enough. Half of boomers are already senile and they're the biggest deadweight this country has ever seen. It's outrageous we have to pay for all their useless social security and medicare. Should just let those spoiled losers rot in the street.
You want some cheese with that whine?
All the more reason to spend as much as I can and leave the rest to the local animal shelter.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:44 PM

286 posts, read 379,634 times
Baby Boomers: “Stop Crying”

Response: “Typical baby boomer sentiment. My parents boughta house for $35,000 with TWO low-middle income jobs. They were 21 years old.Today that house is worth $650,000 thanks to 40 years of exponential inflation.If a 21 year old today was to buy the same house adjusted back down to 1970’sinflation, it would only cost $120,000 in today’s money. If my parents had topay $120,000 for this house in the 70’s…well that would be ludicrous. There isn’ta bank in the land that wouldn’t have laughed them out of the office. To ExpectGen-Y’s to do the same as boomers is not only ridiculous. It’s just plainignorant. Our hard work and our money simply doesn’t go as far as yours did.Our money is worth a lot less than what yours was worth…not an opinion, it’s afact. But please, keep telling us how lazy we are, how stupid we are forracking up 100k in student loans for jobs we can’t get, and how hard you hadit.”

Last edited by bringamac92; 03-28-2016 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: weird font.

Old 03-28-2016, 01:09 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,882,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Baby-boomers have looted our country. Handed their childrens' futures over to the banks and billionaires in exchange for half-baked promises that they can hold on to the advantages their sheer numbers have always given them. Two-tiered retirement systems, two-tiered Union contracts, and looting of future generations' social security in order to maintain unfunded benefits to current retirees are some of the more crass examples. Baby-boomers will proudly brag about how they worked their way through cheap, HEAVILY subsidized college... graduating into an environment where pretty much any degree meant a middle class lifestyle. But gawd forbid that they fund the same for their children.
You do realize many of us and I mean many, do not have union jobs, never have and pensions......what is that?

Afford college, yeah right, I was turned down for a loan due to my dad making good money 6 months out of the year. The quarter they decided to count was his strongest quarter for making money in construction, during spring and summer season. They failed to count he was on unemployment during the rainy season 5-6 months. At that time banks didn't give out student loans......so cry me a river, the Millennials have options most before you didn't have. It is a choice to be in debt, not a God given right and then to assume taxpayers should just pay for it.......is beyond extreme and self-loathing.

Quote:
I'm on the young end of gen-X myself, so I've been spared some of the difficulties faced by millennials. And I deal with some of the same difficulties every day being pretty close in age. And lemme tell you- the hypocrisy, selfishness, and outright STUPIDITY of our parents' generation is on full display- has been for all our lives and we REALLY see it once we hit adulthood. Boomers will be around for quite some time still- spouting foxnews garbage and doing their level best to sign over every last scrap of our country to the billionaires. We gen-X'ers are too few in number to stop this... we've just learned to adapt to a mad world as best we can.
Now your mad and you are probably the child that had the new toy as soon as it came out, the best clothes, your first car bought for you and college paid for by your parents or loans most others don't qualify for.

I didn't know every Boomer watched Fox News, are you telling us all Boomers are Conservative........or is this lost in translation.

Quote:
But Millennials haven't had the idealism beat out of them yet- and their numbers are VAST. Bernie Sanders may not make it much further in this election- but he's a glimpse of OUR future. It'll take a few more years, but the Millennials WILL take the reigns and there's gonna be some BIG changes around here. In 30 years y'all wont even recognize your country. I just hope all these hateful, myopic fox-spewing Boomers are still around to cry about it.

I do believe you will be the one more surprised than any left wing boomer will be!

Old 03-28-2016, 01:10 PM

4,488 posts, read 3,896,960 times
I think the millennials will do fine if they ever get their face out of their phone. The good news for my millennial son is that after doing all of the typical Baby Boomer raping and pillaging for the last 40 years, I'm leaving it all to him.

Old 03-28-2016, 01:12 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,882,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
The millenials are a mess and whatever generation comes after them are going to be even worse basket cases. Baby boomers were lucky they were born when they were and had a great economy given them and a society that was still only in a slow decline. Now both the economy and society are in a steady steep decline that is only getting worse and every new generation is less equipped to deal with it.
I do think rather than blaming the voter as some have, it should be placed in the hands of our
government officials.....along with just how people allow the government to use their kids in ways the country was not suppose to be built upon.........going to war in countries that are not ours, while we have miles of open unmanned borders!

Old 03-28-2016, 01:26 PM

7,801 posts, read 10,072,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I think the article puts blame on Baby Boomers for conditions well beyond the control of the boomers. And I think it simplifies the situation too much.

As for the Millennials saving everyone. I suspect they haven't understood the lesson of The Greatest Generation. It isn't changing government policies that made The Greatest Generation the greatest. It was their willingness to sacrifice, again and again and again, and knowing what those sacrifices meant, both in the short-term and the long-term, that made them great.

I hope the Millennials are the next Greatest Generation. But they will have to make many sacrifices along the way.
And what are the Boomers sacrificing? They are the whiners preventing us from making necessary chances to Social Security such as raising the retirement age so that SS is still there for millennials like me. Look, few Americans still work manual labor jobs ... it is not sustainable to have perfectly healthy 62 year old's retire and bleed SS dry because they collect benefits for 20+ years when the program was designed with the intention that the average person would collect benefits for 5 years. It's not 1930 something anymore, the average life expectancy is no longer 65.

I suggest a reasonable compromise: tie the retirement age to 10 years from the average life expectancy which is currently jusssst shy of 79, so make the retirement age 69. I think that's very fair. If the life expectancy rate increases, the retirement ages increases. If it goes down, than the retirement age goes down.

Old 03-28-2016, 01:38 PM

548 posts, read 470,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHfan View Post
You want some cheese with that whine?
All the more reason to spend as much as I can and leave the rest to the local animal shelter.
Why would it matter to me what you do with your measly life savings? You weren't going to give it to me anyways. You can burn it for all I care.

Old 03-28-2016, 01:41 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,548,623 times
The Boomers and Milennials are both bad news.
Selfish generations, both spoiled.

Generation X is the smartest, most informed.

Old 03-28-2016, 01:42 PM

9,129 posts, read 5,767,655 times
Yeah, we'll be fine when we turn it all over to millennials who are scared of chalk and need a safe-space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies