Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 07:53 AM

1,592 posts, read 1,211,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
If any generation is entitled, it’s our parents’ and grandparents’ generation: the Baby Boomers.

True entitlement is tripling the national debt since the 1980s and using the proceeds to spend lavishly on tax cuts and government programs that primarily provided short-term economic boosts, while refusing to raise the Social Security age of retirement or to reduce benefits, even as the gluttonous program careens toward unsustainability.

True entitlement is allowing the reasonable minimum wage that Baby Boomers enjoyed when they were our age to deteriorate while opting to cut taxes on the gains from stocks and bonds that they accrued during periods of debt-driven economic and stock-market surges – creating an economy where wage earners at all income levels, as of 2012, receive a smaller portion of economic output at any time since 1929.

True entitlement is, for decades, enjoying the benefits of the lowest energy costs in the world while refusing to price-in the external costs of carbon emissions, exacerbating the real changes to our planet that pose profound risks to the environment and economy for which Millennials will soon be the primary stewards.

These grave consequences were entirely foreseeable – but they happened. Young Americans have been fleeced in order to fund the transient excesses of the old – and yet Milliennials are labeled “entitled” because we were given “participation trophies” and “personal tutors” before we were old enough to vote?
The Most Entitled Generation Isn't Millennials. It's Baby Boomers | RealClearPolitics

I think that once younger generations have the ability to turn the country around, we'll see some improvements.

We are saved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 07:55 AM

599 posts, read 401,265 times
Crap I'm a Millennial! Hopefully I can get into political office so that we can retain some form of common sense that honestly doesn't seem to exist for many millennials.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:59 AM

30,349 posts, read 19,122,995 times
I hope you're right. If the next generation advances America and American companies as much as Baby Boomers have, I'll be surprised but hey, surprise me.

1,592 posts, read 1,211,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroZach View Post
Crap I'm a Millennial! Hopefully I can get into political office so that we can retain some form of common sense that honestly doesn't seem to exist for many millennials.
You can do it!

35,095 posts, read 51,207,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svendrell View Post
The Most Entitled Generation Isn't Millennials. It's Baby Boomers | RealClearPolitics
I think that once younger generations have the ability to turn the country around, we'll see some improvements.
We are saved.
I think that article is wrong, I am in theory a baby boomer as well as most of our friends and all of us have worked hard for what we have, paid our own way through college while working full time, moved out of our parents home and paid our own way, bought our own vehicles and paid for everything that goes with that.
You will never convince me that the young ones do not have entitlement mentality, I see it often enough in the real world and it is sickening.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:11 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,550,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You will never convince me that the young ones do not have entitlement mentality, I see it often enough in the real world and it is sickening.
And the generation before you said that about you. Get over it.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:31 AM

1,147 posts, read 717,508 times
New media and technology are the future and millennials are paramount for innovation across those fields.

I don't know why the boomers are always whining about young people. They have money and many are either retired or close to retirement, so you'd think they'd be a lot happier than what they are right now.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:35 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,831,333 times
Depends how much they guilt they have and our how greedy they become once in office. You know, just like the Boomers. Apparently even the Greatest Gen had that problem, viz. Mr. Smith Goes to Washtington.

Ah, never trust anyone over 30.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:39 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,929,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
And the generation before you said that about you. Get over it.
Not many before this generation had the money of their parents. Many kids are taken care of until 26. When one was 26 just 35 yrs ago, one was almost an old person.

Many kids today are relying too much on emotions, feelings and parents living to support their every need. I blame it more on parents. Sad to think parents are more concerned about their kids living at home on their insurance than making a life for themselves after the parents are gone.

Hopefully the easily offend people will not outweigh the strong working people.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:07 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,859,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svendrell View Post

We are saved.
I think the article puts blame on Baby Boomers for conditions well beyond the control of the boomers. And I think it simplifies the situation too much.

As for the Millennials saving everyone. I suspect they haven't understood the lesson of The Greatest Generation. It isn't changing government policies that made The Greatest Generation the greatest. It was their willingness to sacrifice, again and again and again, and knowing what those sacrifices meant, both in the short-term and the long-term, that made them great.

I hope the Millennials are the next Greatest Generation. But they will have to make many sacrifices along the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies