Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 05:04 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Ahh but you see, this is people (African Americans) talking about other races and lobbing accusations at them.

Next time someone complains about having the N word lobbed at them, according to you they should be labelled "whiney politically correct man"

You have no business issuing blanket statements that other races don't value your lives. It's beyond dumb and no wonder this movement has gotten so much blowback from society.
African-American is NOT a race. It refers to a CULTURE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 05:06 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
We have no control over what happens in Africa or in Muslim countries. If you're so concerned about what's happening over there, hop a flight. You can be there in just hours.

"You people"? I have 4 university degrees. And you? In retirement I make significantly more than the American average. And you?

I do treat people how I see them, but I'm not sure you should want that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySofiaLila View Post
Right... and I'm Warren Buffett. If you were really as highly educated as you claim you are, you wouldn't be blaming today's whites for slavery more than a century and a half ago. You would be able to do the math and figure out that aint no one alive today that had anything to do with slavery.

As for your "I have no control over Africa and Muslim countries...", I have no control about what happened here 180 years ago before any of my ancestors came to the US... so do I feel sorry for you whiny people who hide behind BLM, today, playing the victim? no, not in the least bit. Get over it. No one owes you reparations.

I treat people how I see them, too. Pull out the race card and you're equal to whatever is stuck to the bottom of my shoe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Where exactly have I blamed "today's whites for slavery more than a century and a half ago". Show me.

And secondly, Mr. Einstein, I'm not Black.
Oops...when you make assumptions...LOL.

Old 03-31-2016, 05:14 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,924,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Ahh but you see, this is people (African Americans) talking about other races and lobbing accusations at them.

Next time someone complains about having the N word lobbed at them, according to you they should be labelled "whiney politically correct man"

You have no business issuing blanket statements that other races don't value your lives. It's beyond dumb and no wonder this movement has gotten so much blowback from society.
Honestly, a slogan or name of any movement will never be able to encompass its entirety. It's a nuanced approach to continue the discussions rather than continuing to cover up, hide or disguise the realities. Would it make a difference if folks said, Black Lives Matter too?

Honestly, there is ONE race of Humanity. Does that end the discussions? IMHO, it does not.

Old 03-31-2016, 05:27 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Honestly, a slogan or name of any movement will never be able to encompass its entirety. It's a nuanced approach to continue the discussions rather than continuing to cover up, hide or disguise the realities. Would it make a difference if folks said, Black Lives Matter too?
Now, there is a question.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:32 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,065,142 times
As I see it, it can be " All lives matter" or if somebody has an issue with that, what they really mean is " Only black lives matter." But, yeah, its a stupid catch phrase that never made much sense to begin with.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:59 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
It is a rather old slogan, I think I saw it written on signs carried by the MLK crowds in a documentary recently. Back then it probably made sense...

Old 03-31-2016, 07:08 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
As I see it, it can be " All lives matter" or if somebody has an issue with that, what they really mean is " Only black lives matter." But, yeah, its a stupid catch phrase that never made much sense to begin with.
A college administrator and Hillary have both misspoken publicly saying "all lives matter" instead of "black lives matter"... and no one stood up for them and both ladies issued a public apology.

The way I see it is that all lives matter up until they do things counter productive to society like murder or become a drug dealer. Garbage people just don't matter as much to me as productive people with good moral integrity.

Maybe my slogan would be "ghetto culture is for losers". One definition of insanity is repeating the same behaviour and expecting a different outcome. And that's how I view the BLM movement. Stop living the ghetto lifestyle (making baby mommas and counting on welfare benefits, Section 8 and food stamps to support your family) and embracing gangsta mannerisms and styling. That is the only way to break that chronic cycle of poverty. Wait and get married before having children. Study hard in school or get a desirable trade skill. Don't wear pants that are falling off. Learn to speak proper English and use it at work. Speak all the slang you want to off hours. Set solid realistic life goals. Don't just hope to win the lottery and wish for a baller lifestyle in a mansion with filled with b*tches.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:37 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Maybe they should add "as well", "black lives matter as well" would make it clear that black lives did not always matter in the US and that people do not want to return to that situation, which I suppose is what many blacks fear, rightly or not...

Old 03-31-2016, 07:40 AM

1,504 posts, read 851,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
racism doesnt stop happening just because you stop talking about it.
BUT it will at least slow it down if you shut up and stop reminding people.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:42 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,111,663 times
I am white, and take no offense at the slogan. I do believe police are too quick to over react (especially toward blacks), and usually are NOT held accountable. However, blacks seem to kill other blacks at an incredible rate, so obviously this slogan is not accepted by many blacks who seem to have no respect for others lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies