U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-30-2016, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Stasis
15,837 posts, read 10,031,444 times
Reputation: 8547

Advertisements

The Netherlands proposes no new gasoline powered new car sales after 2025. That's only 8 years away.

In December 2015 "...California, Connecticut, Germany, Maryland, Massachusetts, The Netherlands, New York, Norway, Oregon, Québec, Rhode Island, United Kingdom and Vermont—announced commitments that all new passenger vehicles will use zero emission vehicle (ZEV) technologies no later than 2050."

Pledge Signed to Make All New Passenger Vehicles Zero Emissions by 2050

The Netherlands is going further:
"In a majority vote, the lower house of Dutch parliament supported a motion to no longer allow new sales of petrol or diesel cars from 2025. "
"In 2015, the Netherlands saw over 43,000 new plug-ins purchased, out of some 449,347 registrations, good for a 9.6% market share."

Netherlands Moves To Only Allow EV Sales By 2025 - End Of Gas, Petrol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-30-2016, 02:57 PM
 
25,059 posts, read 23,157,510 times
Reputation: 11619
So what is it, a law or a pledge? One is legally binding, the other isn't
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2016, 03:02 PM
 
Location: Stasis
15,837 posts, read 10,031,444 times
Reputation: 8547
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
So what is it, a law or a pledge? One is legally binding, the other isn't
A pledge in the US states but a proposed law in the Netherlands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2016, 04:17 PM
 
Location: Palo Alto
12,172 posts, read 7,037,881 times
Reputation: 4175
Coming soon the the Netherlands: electricity at only $0.60 kW/hr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2016, 04:19 PM
 
4,899 posts, read 2,718,532 times
Reputation: 4398
good for them. with a country that small, less than 17 million people and excellent public transit, this could work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2016, 04:27 PM
 
25,877 posts, read 39,135,773 times
Reputation: 13869
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
The Netherlands proposes no new gasoline powered new car sales after 2025. That's only 8 years away.

In December 2015 "...California, Connecticut, Germany, Maryland, Massachusetts, The Netherlands, New York, Norway, Oregon, Québec, Rhode Island, United Kingdom and Vermont—announced commitments that all new passenger vehicles will use zero emission vehicle (ZEV) technologies no later than 2050."

Pledge Signed to Make All New Passenger Vehicles Zero Emissions by 2050

The Netherlands is going further:
"In a majority vote, the lower house of Dutch parliament supported a motion to no longer allow new sales of petrol or diesel cars from 2025. "
"In 2015, the Netherlands saw over 43,000 new plug-ins purchased, out of some 449,347 registrations, good for a 9.6% market share."

Netherlands Moves To Only Allow EV Sales By 2025 - End Of Gas, Petrol
The Netherlands is always one of the first and than the government implements another new thing and again taxes are going up, ticket prices for public transportation will increase, cut in health care benefits and of course the VAT tax will probably be raised again as 21% which it is right now will not be sufficient.

Meanwhile store after store is closing down as over the last 3 months one of the biggest departments store chains V & D closed down as well as 3 shoe store chains, sport store chain, etc.

Just today I asked my mom if there is a actually still a store left to go to and she told me another store had major sales and she expect them to close down!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2016, 04:45 PM
 
22,769 posts, read 26,201,775 times
Reputation: 14558
yeah, i think that's great. This would be unthinkable in the US, but countries like the Netherlands are good test beds for this kind of thing.

This will impact some people's ability to get around, but the Netherlands has alternatives, as they've invested heavily in bicycles and trains.

They don't have a domestic auto industry to speak of , so this effectively serves as a stealth tariff on Germany, Japan, France, and Italy, and creates the conditions for a nascent dutch electric car industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2016, 04:51 PM
 
Location: Upstate NY
35,436 posts, read 10,481,794 times
Reputation: 33509
The Netherlands is at it again--essentially running businesses. Oh well. That is what they do there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2016, 05:16 PM
 
25,059 posts, read 23,157,510 times
Reputation: 11619
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
The Netherlands is always one of the first and than the government implements another new thing and again taxes are going up, ticket prices for public transportation will increase, cut in health care benefits and of course the VAT tax will probably be raised again as 21% which it is right now will not be sufficient.

Meanwhile store after store is closing down as over the last 3 months one of the biggest departments store chains V & D closed down as well as 3 shoe store chains, sport store chain, etc.

Just today I asked my mom if there is a actually still a store left to go to and she told me another store had major sales and she expect them to close down!
Now now bentlebee, don't leave out the rest! See, I used to live in Europe just like you claim, and it's also happening in the UK. Except, the caveat is, a lot of the stores closing down are "high street brands" in British parlance, and are moving to e-tailing, not going bankrupt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2016, 05:23 PM
 
29,365 posts, read 15,419,056 times
Reputation: 19968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
good for them. with a country that small, less than 17 million people and excellent public transit, this could work.
There are probably a number of countries that could pull this off, but the US is a very long way from it.
Of course, the biggest problem at some point in time will be what to do with all of the gasoline that is a biproduct of refining petroleum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top