Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 07:23 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowtreatments View Post
I really think the path through education should be based on the expected outcomes.

With a good teacher, algebra is not hard to learn. Providing students are motivated to learn it. But there is a growing percentage, IMO, of those who challenge anything and everything that is "traditional" about education, and learning advanced math is one of those traditions that is harder and harder to justify.

I, as a contractor, use math every day. Geometry, trig, and algebra...each and every day. But we are a shrinking minority. And, to add to this, technology is making the process more about just knowing what you need and how to get it, as opposed to knowing the process needed to find the answer.

IMO, we would be better off by requiring kids to learn a practical application of mathematics, heavy on consumer math, interest, lending, borrowing, compounding, and the basics of macro and micro economics then in teaching kids algebra, just because it is how we had to do it. Tradition isn't always the best answer.

NY Professor Says Algebra Is Too Hard, Schools Should Drop It - Breitbart
Algebra may be too hard for some, but not too hard for others....

I don't know what they do in schools now, but years ago, they evaluated students, those that could do algebra, were in College classes, and those that couldn't were in other classes, and that is how it should be done, so to encourage those who are gifted and so to not discourage those who are not.

No one person is alike...and there are kids who are exceptionally intelligent and our world should once again, strive for it, nourish it, encourage kids to excel, it's not a crime to be intelligent, it is in fact a wondrous gift.

and btw, some kids love math....my grand daughter does....

Old 03-31-2016, 07:25 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,752,114 times
There is a reason why children of foreigners are kicking Americans kids butts in Math Science and general studies. This kind of thinking will hurt us . our children will not be able to compete with theirs and you will have the burdon of supporting then till they are 40. Do you believe that the Asian kids have higher IQs than your kids? Push yourself to learn. If you can't hack it step aside. But don't complain when your doctor is African or Asian or Indian and all the nurses are West Indian and all your engenieers are Asian. Let's not forget the financial sector. Capitalism dictates that the market will seek out the BEST and Brightest ........ Where do your children stand?

Old 03-31-2016, 07:26 AM

24,456 posts, read 17,203,514 times
Algebra is difficult I know it gave me fits but it really gives kids a chance to think outside the box.
I can see it being too much for todays average student but it should still be offered and required to those who are seeking to go on to college.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:27 AM

3,852 posts, read 2,223,743 times
I am taken aback by this.
Let's stop teaching everything. What else are we going to add to the list?

Old 03-31-2016, 07:31 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
There is a reason why children of foreigners are kicking Americans kids butts in Math Science and general studies. This kind of thinking will hurt us . our children will not be able to compete with theirs and you will have the burdon of supporting then till they are 40. Do you believe that the Asian kids have higher IQs than your kids? Push yourself to learn. If you can't hack it step aside. But don't complain when your doctor is African or Asian or Indian and all the nurses are West Indian and all your engenieers are Asian. Let's not forget the financial sector. Capitalism dictates that the market will seek out the BEST and Brightest ........ Where do your children stand?
This has nothing to do with the best and brightest. We're talking about kids who can't wrap their minds around basic algebra. Isn't society better off if they can still graduate high school?

Old 03-31-2016, 07:32 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,381,108 times
Interesting that this thread popped up because I was having a reverie yesterday about education and it occurred to me that forcing everyone to learn algebra made no more sense than making everyone learn piano or Spanish. I have a doctorate and did very well in math and science but I have failed twice to learn a foreign language and also failed twice to learn a musical instrument. Just no aptitude in those areas.
I really believe that those students who excel in math or science should be encouraged and challenged in those subjects but those who simply have no aptitude in those subjects should be encouraged in other courses so they too can be successful -- just in a different career path.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:36 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,570,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I'm not surprised that a teacher is proposing dropping the teaching of a subject thought to be "too hard" by students. After all, Shakespeare is no longer required reading in an increasing numer of universities, even for English literature majors. *Sigh*
I remember being forced to read Shakespeare despite the fact that I enrolled in a technical college majoring in Industrial Electronics Technology – Computer Technology Track (IETC)

Old 03-31-2016, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post

Old 03-31-2016, 07:37 AM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Algebra is difficult I know it gave me fits but it really gives kids a chance to think outside the box.
I can see it being too much for todays average student but it should still be offered and required to those who are seeking to go on to college.

What is "today's" average student? What is different from yesterday's student. I thought this was supposed to be the most well educated generation.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
Interesting that this thread popped up because I was having a reverie yesterday about education and it occurred to me that forcing everyone to learn algebra made no more sense than making everyone learn piano or Spanish. I have a doctorate and did very well in math and science but I have failed twice to learn a foreign language and also failed twice to learn a musical instrument. Just no aptitude in those areas.
I really believe that those students who excel in math or science should be encouraged and challenged in those subjects but those who simply have no aptitude in those subjects should be encouraged in other courses so they too can be successful -- just in a different career path.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies