Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2016, 02:55 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
the phrase "fiscally conservative" needs to be defined. It seems to be a blanket statement of fiscally responsible, which Republicans do not have a stranglehold on when compared to Democrats.
Actually, fiscally conservative or fiscally responsible, take your pick, often does NOT apply to Republican-run administrations, whether at the state level or Federal level.

Look at Louisiana and Kansas. Run by Republican governors and they're fiscally in the hole. Economy's in tatters, and they're gutting their education system.

By comparison, California, the right-wing's favorite boogeyman, has actually improved its fiscal conditions under a Democratic-dominated state legislature, and the economy has been growing as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 02:55 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Is the point of this thread that white males are victims of society? Is this a joke thread?

Old 04-01-2016, 03:00 PM

5,770 posts, read 3,219,640 times
Default Who really are the sheep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Good question. At this point a white man voting Democrat is like sheep voting for dogs.
Who really are the sheep? The Democrat who rejects all of the drool that the pro corporate media wets you with or the Republican who follows the news like it is sacred and true.

Old 04-01-2016, 03:55 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,312,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
So many great responses from liberals in this thread that my rep gun ran out of ammunition. But I think this paragraph says it best.

I think most of the right wing posters who have responded in this thread fit nicely into this description, though I wouldn't restrict it to merely lower income white males. There are plenty of middle and upper income white men who fit the description as well.

What they have in common is they are angry that they now are forced to compete with minorities and women, instead of like back in the good old days when accepted cultural discrimination assured they always got the best of everything without a fight. Back when women and minorities "knew their place" and didn't dare to aspire to anything that had always traditionally "belonged" to white men.

Those days are gone, and they are ticked off about it. That makes them easy pickings for the Republican party, a party that thrives on anger, bigotry and fear.
So do you have any evidence to support any of this, or are you just making stuff up?

Old 04-01-2016, 03:55 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post

Look at Louisiana and Kansas. Run by Republican governors and they're fiscally in the hole. Economy's in tatters, and they're gutting their education system.

By comparison, California, the right-wing's favorite boogeyman, has actually improved its fiscal conditions under a Democratic-dominated state legislature, and the economy has been growing as well.
Don't forget Scott Walker's Wisconsin. Education does not matter in conservative states. What these conservative Governors do is bring in tax cuts for the wealthiest citizens and go after labor unions and the middle class. It is the same formula all across the nation, and usually leaves their respective states deep in the red.

Old 04-01-2016, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Don't forget Scott Walker's Wisconsin. Education does not matter in conservative states. What these conservative Governors do is bring in tax cuts for the wealthiest citizens and go after labor unions and the middle class. It is the same formula all across the nation, and usually leaves their respective states deep in the red.
Yep.

And tough Jersey guy Christie also went after the teachers, slashed taxes, underfunded pension obligations, had the state's bond rating go down as well.

Old 04-01-2016, 04:19 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,949,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Obviously education doesn't matter in *your* state. Sweeping generalizations generally make people look like fools.

Old 04-01-2016, 04:55 PM

4,252 posts, read 3,170,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Actually, fiscally conservative or fiscally responsible, take your pick, often does NOT apply to Republican-run administrations, whether at the state level or Federal level.

Perhaps you should take a larger sample size instead of cherry picking! North Carolina was left in shambles by the previous Dem administration. It is now running a nice surplus. How about all those cities controlled by Dems? How they doing?

Old 04-01-2016, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
Perhaps you should take a larger sample size instead of cherry picking! North Carolina was left in shambles by the previous Dem administration. It is now running a nice surplus. How about all those cities controlled by Dems? How they doing?
My point is that Republicans aren't necessarily better at fiscal management than Democratic ones, and are often worse. And their mindless tax-cutting often doesn't stimulate the economy much but also at the cost of disinvestment in education and infrastructure.

Well, McCrory (and the power behind the throne Art Pope) is threatening the state's future because they're cutting the education budget, passed the anti-LGBT law that is going to lose some business to the state. Way to go!

Old 04-01-2016, 07:57 PM

37,177 posts, read 19,174,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
This is one of the most perplexing things of all when I think about politics. I will go on any political site or facebook news page and see all these angry white male liberals clamoring about the GOP and Trump and whatnot and I just laugh to myself. These white men are hated by almost every socio-economic group in the liberal caucus and based off the comments I've heard amongst these groups, if they had the choice and power, these white men wouldn't have livelihoods and/or would die. White males are blamed by these groups for almost every problem that exist under the sun. I can't fathom what incentive is there to being a liberal Democrat for a white man today?
Real simple. I have consistently voted against republicans except for one local pol who was a friend of mine since I started voting in 1970 because of Richard Nixon. I worked nearly 50 years before I retired, owned three businesses and managed another one, and am now especially adamant about voting anti-GOP since they have gone completely off the rails. I guess I just don't have enough hatred in me to go over to the dark side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies