Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 07:17 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,674,044 times

Advertisements

Why is there not more of a focus upon the use of Birth Control and proper instruction for teens regarding sexual activity? It seems that if there was not such a restrictive outlook by some regarding the education and usage of, there would be more prevention of Abortion - the very outcome and issue that from some individual's standpoint, is to be avoided at all costs.

If this is the case, why would some want to be contributing to the problem, rather than helping to prevent teen pregnancy, STD's and abortion in the first place? Part of what contributes will be the inability for some parents to broach the subject or face that their kids will be engaging in sex. It seems that at this late stage, we should be doing better than this, in helping rather than hindering what has been a long-standing issue for teens, young adults. It leads to girls being unable to face parents, running off to get an abortion or forced to have a child, due to parental beliefs. And what happens with the boys - no responsibility in most cases? Parents who want to block any education relating to this should just have themselves to blame.

Kids should stop being improperly influenced in their outlook and approach to sex. They are too naive and inexperienced to understand what they are doing, yet of course they are going to do so or get into unexpected situations. There should be instructional discussion groups with participation by both sexes, then separate groups in order to discuss concerns and responsibility that pertain to each side. And there is that old "double-standard" that likely still exists, how it is okay for a guy to be sexually active, but girls should not be. Then, being impressed upon about the "kind of girl who does or doesn't". There was a time when females were encouraged to be sexually-free, with the onset of the Pill (only to really benefit males) and eventually, that "freedom" turned into "s___ shaming", so did women really gain freedom? We became experienced, knowledgeable, but still... negative, confusing messages need to end. What year is this again??

Learning about sex from others and having negative influences sets the tone for what males think of sex and females, then we see "boys" in their twenties (sorry, they many times do not seem very mature) who appear to have leftover, misconstrued notions about sexual involvement, being learned from puberty. Girls have their own issues involving emotional attachment or involvements, social pressure. Oh, and let's not forget the ever-popular "FWB" (created by whom?) to make it "justifiable" to engage in sex with another without having any concerns for a partner. This has always existed, but after there became a term for it, it's as if it became "acceptable" - and whom does this really benefit?

I think it is way overdue for changes relating to the education of and attitudes regarding sexuality.

Pros and Cons of Giving Birth Control to Teenagers | LIVESTRONG.COM

Moderator cut: moved to P&OC as this is not a H&W question

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 04-01-2016 at 10:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 12:28 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
It should start in 4th grade. Thanks to the exposure that kids are getting today, there are more and more children in the late grades of elementary school that are having their first sexual encounters.

Old 04-01-2016, 01:07 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
You'll have to ask the parents since it's their resposibilty to do so.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:18 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Ask the Religious Right Wingers in the Republican party who think teaching about birth control to teenagers will cause/encourage them to have sex before marriage.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:48 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I went to catholic schools. Guess how many were pregnant in high school because sex and birth control were never talked about in their house

Old 04-01-2016, 11:11 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,984,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I went to catholic schools. Guess how many were pregnant in high school because sex and birth control were never talked about in their house
catholic school...birth control = keep your legs closed.............

Old 04-02-2016, 12:33 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
I never had any sex education classes. Somehow I knew to use a condom when I had sex. How stupid does someone have to be to need sex education classes? I do agree we don't want them breeding.

Old 04-02-2016, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Ask the Religious Right Wingers in the Republican party who think teaching about birth control to teenagers will cause/encourage them to have sex before marriage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
See, this is a big problem. Many parents do not want to discuss Sex or being careful with kids, some expecting them to abstain. Or that religion will be expected to dictate what their children's actions and outcomes will be.

Yes, I have seen statistics showing how a high rate of pregnancy and abortion originates in states where this mindset is common. As mentioned, instead of helping the problem, they have made it worse by thinking they will encourage sex by discussing birth control. Then, there is never any emotional or practical guidance given. Then we wonder why this continues.

I recall a film based upon real events set in Scotland in the 60's I think, where pregnant girls were hatefully banished from their homes and sent to a nunnery to live, where of course they had their babies. At the end, there were interviews by real women who experienced this, which was very emotional. (I do not recall the title, but can find it). It's astounding that this continues, with many complaining about, but contributors to high rates of Pregnancy and Abortion.

Old 04-02-2016, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I never had any sex education classes. Somehow I knew to use a condom when I had sex. How stupid does someone have to be to need sex education classes? I do agree we don't want them breeding.
Apparently, quite a few need instruction, unlike yourself, especially if parents did not offer any guidance.

Surely, there are still those who do not wish to use a condom or encouraging a female, by saying they will "pull out". (I wonder how many times that happens).

Old 04-02-2016, 01:18 AM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Who are these parents that live in 1950 while it's 2016?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies