Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 02:30 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I do know that this is a problem that's happening in all groups but I guess since I'm black, what I see in the black community affects me more than when I see it on a national level.

I have a younger cousin who has 2 kids already and will probably be on her 3rd by the time I finish this post and everytime I talk to her, all she talks about is hair, clothes, nails, music videos...she's 17. She's still in school but she's more interested in what people are wearing and who's going with who then trying to learn anything. Where will she be in 40 years? Better yet, what is she going to teach this two little girls she has?

My youngest brother walks around with his pants falling off his behind and 3X T-shirts all the time. He's got tattoos all over his arms, back and neck and several gold teeth. Then he wonders why he can't get a "decent" job. According to him ,everybodies racist and he's not going to play step-n-fetch it for nobody. So he'd rather sit at home on his mother's couch and play video games. And she allows this.

I don't understand what's happened. When my mom was a child, EVERYBODY in the family worked, before my grandfather had his business he worked in the grove and on the weekends my mom, aunts and uncles would have to go pick fruit with him. No one was allowed to just sit at home. What happened to our parents that made them choose to let their kids just do whatever? A few years ago many families were bragging about sons and daughters being the first to graduate from college - so why is that these same sons & daughters, now mothers and fathers, aren't pushing their kids the same way their parents pushed them.

I actually asked my mother why she never attempted to teach me how to cook or sew and she responded she never liked cooking or sewing, it was just something her mother made her do.
This stuff is GOLD...did you ever think of getting a publisher? All so well put and well said.
I have a few pairs of pants in MY family, too, which are 'hanging below the curve". How that can POSSIBLY be comfortable, I can't even imagine.

I also have a certain nephew who's 30...has a few 'kids' out there that he TRIES to visit, when he can (he often can't). He's had a series of jobs that he usually has to quit, because it turns out that the "boss" is either a racist, or a jerk, or both. He's also turned DOWN several jobs that would have paid well, but "weren't in his line" (I'm not sure with his kind of history, exactly what his "line" is, or why he couldn't get a new one).

His Mom thinks he's the greatest thing on earth, and gets impatient with the rest of us when we don't praise his attempts to find a job worth his while-- or when we fail to praise his efforts to take one of his 'kids' out for ice cream...(she just KNOWS he'd be a good father, if it weren't for all those difficult racists he's worked for, the lack of work in his 'line', or the 'nasty selfish women' he picked to be his kids' mothers)...incredible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 02:44 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,543,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoeboy View Post
What about successful white men who marry black women.
The good news is that the interracial marriage/relationship stereotype will also be gone in 40 years.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:47 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,368,412 times
Quote:
I don't have a problem with anyone marrying anyone, but in a large number of cases black men seem to have a reason for marrying a white woman. What happened to "I married her because I love her?"

You don't know how many black men I've heard say "white women are easier to deal with"

no woman is easy to deal with. We're all smarter

Old 02-14-2008, 02:52 PM

95 posts, read 83,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTsalagi View Post
"Tough to see, you can romanticize it a bit and discuss some of the positive attributes, but the goal of the black leaders over the past half century has been the expansion of opportunities, improved acceptance into overall society and integration." All hogwash. The leaders of the Black community have been spending their time trying to extort money from businesses and the Federal Government. They have had equality for a long time, but they don't want that, they want special privileges above and beyound the equal rights guaranteed them by the Constitution. Yes, you are right that the young black men want $ and lots of it, the only problem is they don't want to work for it or earn it as they have every right to do. No they want the Federal Government to give it to them and that is why you won't see the decent, hard working, family value oriented neighborhoods as you described, but rather more tenement housing and welfare projects in disaray & shambles. people like your Grandfather & Grandmother were true leaders, not what passes for it today. These new Black leaders have not worked hard, established & run a legitimate business, given back to the community that helped them, or procured anything for you. But they are good at spouting off their mouths, inciting riots, instigating protests, blackmailing and extorting individuals, businesses, cities, states, Federal agencies, etc to get the media attention & bring attention to themselves and pad their pockets, usually with more of your hard earned dollars. They make good flim-flam men but not much for working up a sweat in the fields, stacking pipe on an oil derrick, or actually performing any decent, hard working, Honest job. It's too bad we can't turn back time, isn't it?
Good Honest and accurate post!

Old 02-14-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
I don't have a problem with anyone marrying anyone, but in a large number of cases black men seem to have a reason for marrying a white woman. What happened to "I married her because I love her?"

You don't know how many black men I've heard say "white women are easier to deal with"

And NOW, Natalay, It seems some men are going even further...they're actually trying to make it legal to marry MEN....not only would they be 'easier to deal with', two MEN in a relationship could ALSO borrow each other's clothing !!.....

Old 02-14-2008, 03:22 PM

269 posts, read 542,237 times
Quote:

If it makes ya feel any better, I've heard the same line from white guys about Asian women. Sometimes you'll hear someone retort, "but the in-laws are hell on wheels!!!"

lol.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:47 PM

746 posts, read 845,282 times
Quote:

You mean like Peter Norton (Maker of Norton Anti Virus Software. Yes, if you're not using McAfee you're using his product from Symantec) and his wife Eileen Norton (ex wife now) they split the 200 million dollar fortune down the middle. Hell, i see no problem with this especially if they divorce and she marries a black guy lol (just kidding), but not sure what the fuss is about interacial marriages. Most of the native black americans are mixed anyway. Also Former Defense Secretary William Cohen wife is black.

http://www.livzey.com/influentialpeople/images/27.jpg

Software pioneer's fortune at stake in divorce litigation - Up Front - Peter Norton | Los Angeles Business Journal | Find Articles at BNET.com (broken link)

http://http://www.livzey.com/influentialpeople/images/27.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-14-2008, 05:28 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,368,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthhurts View Post
You mean like Peter Norton (Maker of Norton Anti Virus Software. Yes, if you're not using McAfee you're using his product from Symantec) and his wife Eileen Norton (ex wife now) they split the 200 million dollar fortune down the middle. Hell, i see no problem with this especially if they divorce and she marries a black guy lol (just kidding), but not sure what the fuss is about interacial marriages. Most of the native black americans are mixed anyway. Also Former Defense Secretary William Cohen wife is black.
LOL my brother used to say the only time people complain about interracial marriages is when the man is successful. It's true. I have female friends who will see a brother in a suit with a white woman and he will be a "sell out". Then we can see your typical "street" brother with a white woman and he's only with her cause "won't no black woman put up with his sorry ass"

They're always putting Taye Diggs down, but you never hear anything about Seal being married to Heidi Klum. There's no happy medium for a lonely, single black woman.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
LOL my brother used to say the only time people complain about interracial marriages is when the man is successful. It's true. I have female friends who will see a brother in a suit with a white woman and he will be a "sell out". Then we can see your typical "street" brother with a white woman and he's only with her cause "won't no black woman put up with his sorry ass"

They're always putting Taye Diggs down, but you never hear anything about Seal being married to Heidi Klum. There's no happy medium for a lonely, single black woman.
Back when Oprah Winfrey had some pretty controversial shows, (this was 10-12 years ago) I remember one show about folks who dated MOSTLY "out of their race". I remember the audience seemed to consist at least half of black women in groups....along with the usual assorted families, etc, of various races.

A white guy was called forward, explaining his preference for black women, and why he felt that way. The audience cheered, clapped, and was openly supportive and 'friendly' to the guy...

Later two DIFFERENT black guys took their turn, explaining their attraction for white women, the reasons, etc etc. The audience chided them, yelled at them, booed them, and was pretty rough on them. Even Oprah had to remind them to 'give the guy a chance'. I think Oprah seemed a little embarrassed at her audience's obvious bias.

Don't know exactly what to make of this, but the largely black female audience obviously had strong feelings, and was all in FAVOR of the white guy, but very 'hard' on the two black guys---for essentially doing the same thing...

Old 02-14-2008, 06:09 PM

145 posts, read 435,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Back when Oprah Winfrey had some pretty controversial shows, (this was 10-12 years ago) I remember one show about folks who dated MOSTLY "out of their race". I remember the audience seemed to consist at least half of black women in groups....along with the usual assorted families, etc, of various races.

A white guy was called forward, explaining his preference for black women, and why he felt that way. The audience cheered, clapped, and was openly supportive and 'friendly' to the guy...

Later two DIFFERENT black guys took their turn, explaining their attraction for white women, the reasons, etc etc. The audience chided them, yelled at them, booed them, and was pretty rough on them. Even Oprah had to remind them to 'give the guy a chance'. I think Oprah seemed a little embarrassed at her audience's obvious bias.

Don't know exactly what to make of this, but the largely black female audience obviously had strong feelings, and was all in FAVOR of the white guy, but very 'hard' on the two black guys---for essentially doing the same thing...
That's because it's a double standard. Most of my female friends are white because black women are he most hypocritical people you will ever want to meet.

My daughter's father is white and he treated me very well, but I got all kinds of comments from the black women around me. They assumed I was in it for money, or that he was a pushover. I think television only helps enforce this: look at shows like I love New York. It's always a white guy who will do anything to make his nubian queen happy and the black guy who refuses to let anyone rule him.

Black men look at me and say I think I'm too good for them or I wanna be white. I've finally come to the conclusion that black people are just ignorant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies