Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 01:46 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Australia? Nah. lol

(From 2008, the PM, is now an ex PM )

The current PM is a member of the oddly named Liberal Party which is like the US Republican Party.

Old 04-03-2016, 02:19 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The current PM is a member of the oddly named Liberal Party which is like the US Republican Party.
The current government in power is the Coalition party, comprising of the liberal and national party, and the current PM is a clearly a centrist, (or a economic conservative). when he was Communications Minister, the joke was he should join the Labor Party (left).
Now, we did have a trump-esque PM, sprouting gaffe after gaffe, who was the leader of the Liberal Party. He tried to introduce small fees to our UHC, and mess with our Higher education system. He lasted 18 months in power, ousted by his own party, and had the lowest approval rating of any recent PM.
The liberal party is our right wing party, and was the party to introduce gun legislation in 1996, so no, they're not alike, at all.

Old 04-03-2016, 02:24 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,870,831 times
Somalia, the Congo.

Old 04-03-2016, 02:30 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
America 1955

(By virtue of time machine or LSD)

Old 04-03-2016, 02:55 AM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times
The number of Americans renouncing their US citizenship has multiplied 20 fold from George W. Bush last year as President to 2015...so they're going somewhere. Number of Americans renouncing U.S. citizenship jumps 20% in 2015 - Feb. 8, 2016

I've lived and worked all over the world in 5 continents the last 13 years and most Americans that leave the US from what I've seen have done so because they married someone where they went and life is much cheaper there. Countries I've been where I wouldn't mind living in if I didn't have family in the USA are Spain, Chile, and Thailand. I already live in a state where my vote will never matter. I agree with the Liberals that Dems would find a more welcoming political environment in most of the world than would Republicans. However, the overwhelming majority of countries will look at your economic wealth and education and not care about politics when deciding who they let in....so more Republicans do have the opportunity to emigrate than Dems.

Half of Hollywood threatened to move if George Bush was elected President, but they never left and neither did the overwhelming majority of people that didn't want Obama elected.

Last edited by Tall Traveler; 04-03-2016 at 03:07 AM..

Old 04-03-2016, 03:22 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
I can't imagine Republicans being happy in any European country I've been to with the possible exception of Poland. Poland is the whitest country I've ever been in, so they'll like that. Much of their population are still Catholic (in the real, I go to mass and pray to Jesus regularly and not the fake French, I'm Catholic way). The Poles are also pretty militaristic and they see a boogie man under every bed (in their case, it's a Russian one), so Republicans should fit right in there too. They recently elected a conservative party "Law and Justice" which supports a ban on abortion and is being criticized for curbing freedom of the press. So that should jive well with a Republican's anti freedom pro authoritarian mindset. I think the deal breaker is going to be guns. Poland has strict gun laws like other EU nations.

Last edited by WestCobb; 04-03-2016 at 03:44 AM..

Old 04-03-2016, 03:28 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
The number of Americans renouncing their US citizenship has multiplied 20 fold from George W. Bush last year as President to 2015...so they're going somewhere. Number of Americans renouncing U.S. citizenship jumps 20% in 2015 - Feb. 8, 2016

I've lived and worked all over the world in 5 continents the last 13 years and most Americans that leave the US from what I've seen have done so because they married someone where they went and life is much cheaper there. Countries I've been where I wouldn't mind living in if I didn't have family in the USA are Spain, Chile, and Thailand. I already live in a state where my vote will never matter. I agree with the Liberals that Dems would find a more welcoming political environment in most of the world than would Republicans. However, the overwhelming majority of countries will look at your economic wealth and education and not care about politics when deciding who they let in....so more Republicans do have the opportunity to emigrate than Dems.

Half of Hollywood threatened to move if George Bush was elected President, but they never left and neither did the overwhelming majority of people that didn't want Obama elected.
You're assuming the Dems who "threaten" to leave the US don't have the wealth and education to be accepted in other countries . Saying this because you are 100% RIGHT that folks who toss this idea out so lightly seem to have no clue that just because we're Americans doesn't mean we can simply move wherever we damned well want to whenever we want to. We are so obnoxious! There are wealthy Dems who could do it...laughing at your Hollywood statement, they have the money, doubt most have the smarts. But, as you mentioned, there were the GOP folks who also threatened to leave, they're still here as well.

Old 04-03-2016, 04:00 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,436,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
Around election time there's always a dramatic discussion on both sides which countries they would move to if the other side won.

For Democrats the usual suspects are Canada and the Western EU countries and Aus/NZ.

However it's never discussed in detail what countries Republicans might move to.

So Republicans, what foreign countries might potentially be a good fit that currently reflect policies close to the GOP platform?

Bill O'Reily mentioned Ireland but I don't know how that will work.
I would wait until Republicans say they want to leave.

So far, I haven't heard them say that.

Old 04-03-2016, 04:08 AM

1,147 posts, read 718,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I can't imagine Republicans being happy in any European country I've been to with the possible exception of Poland. Poland is the whitest country I've ever been in, so they'll like that. Much of their population are still Catholic (in the real, I go to mass and pray to Jesus regularly and not the fake French, I'm Catholic way). The Poles are also pretty militaristic and they see a boogie man under every bed (in their case, it's a Russian one), so Republicans should fit right in there too. They recently elected a conservative party "Law and Justice" which supports a ban on abortion and is being criticized for curbing freedom of the press. So that should jive well with a Republican's anti freedom pro authoritarian mindset. I think the deal breaker is going to be guns. Poland has strict gun laws like other EU nations.
I forgot about Poland, but you're right.

Belarus might please some Republicans too. It's the only country in Europe that hasn't abolished capital punishment.

Old 04-03-2016, 04:08 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,436,622 times
IF Republicans wanted to leave, they would be quite happy in Western Europe, Britain, Scandinavia, Canada, Australia and New Zealand -- which are FAR less liberal than the liberals in the U.S. like to think.

On the other hand, those countries don't want American immigrants -- whether or not they are liberal.

So that leaves Eastern Europe, which Republicans would like but liberals would hate -- apart from Prague, where lib losers have been wearing out their welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies