Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 11:41 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,898,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Not a republican supporter, but I really don't get this argument. It sounds so weird. A regular procedure for every citizen in every country on the globe, is "very difficult" for certain US citizens. Now let's consider:
1) When the poor citizens need an ID to collect food stamps or unemployment, aren't they getting it?
2) When they need drivers license, don't they find ways (in spite of the great difficulty) to get an ID?
3) when they register newly born babies as US citizens, how do they manage?

Why won't the Democratic Party or anyone helping the poor, find ways to make the registration easy? For example opening offices in mid town, or at shopping centers? With billions in elections donations, can't they spare a few millions for the ONE TIME procedure? Or passing laws (at the city hall) to make registration for voting free?

For some reason democrats are convicted that the problem is only with minorities and these minorities would vote for them. But I had the opportunity to meet poor white people, rednecks, who are not voting as well. They are totally ignorant and have no interest in the democratic process. They don't know what the issues are, who are the candidates and how is all that affecting them.
My answer is: if you are disconnected from society ignorant and don't care about anything, better not vote.
Agreed.

When I hear about people griping about HAVING to show ID to vote; I DON'T care. I'm a "white" male and even I have to show ID. If it's good enough for me, it's def good enough for every other US citizen. Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 11:57 AM

88,994 posts, read 44,793,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Local news filmed the lines at various Wisconsin DMVs with long, long lines of people waiting to get a state- issued ID. I was surprised by the number of middle- aged people in these lines.

How have so many managed to live for 35-45-50 years without an ID that is required for employment, a doctor's visit, cash a check, open a bank account, drive, travel, lease a residence or buy a home?
I'm stumped, as well.

Old 04-03-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
How does a person get his or her banking done without a photo ID? Get into municipal buildings? You can't even buy alcohol or tobacco at a lot of places any more without a photo ID. You can't get a job without photo ID.
You can't lease an apartment, etc., without a photo ID, either. Are these people living under a rock somewhere? Or what?

Old 04-03-2016, 12:08 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,457,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed.

When I hear about people griping about HAVING to show ID to vote; I DON'T care. I'm a "white" male and even I have to show ID. If it's good enough for me, it's def good enough for every other US citizen. Period.
The point is that everyone agrees that one needs ID for many things and it is so in every county. The only place some folks disagree about ID necessity, is voting in US.
In another thread Bernie Sanders is quoted as aspiring to introduce the Scandinavian model in US. Yet even in Scandinavia, you need ID to vote.

Old 04-03-2016, 12:11 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,558,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You can't lease an apartment, etc., without a photo ID, either. Are these people living under a rock somewhere? Or what?
You surely can. Just live a completely cash based life like the 50 million illegals.

Old 04-03-2016, 12:15 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,457,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
You'd have a point, if not for the simple fact that these laws are created in places where Republicans are in power. So no, Democrats can't "find ways to make the registration easy." No, Democrats can't open offices in shopping centers.

Republicans are going out of their way to make voting as difficult as possible in an effort to disenfranchise young people, minorities, etc. Until those Republicans are voted out of office (which they make more difficult by rigging the system) or someone drags it through the courts, nothing is going to get fixed.
It's not only with people who are likely to vote D, but Republicans are willing to sacrifice some R votes. As long as they snuff out more D votes, it's still a net win for them.
I am aware that ID request is a republican tactic against democrats. All I say is that instead of fighting those governors by using childish arguments, take responsibility and initiate a reform in ID laws. That puts the ball back in the republican court and perhaps lead to a pragmatic solution.

Old 04-03-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
You surely can. Just live a completely cash based life like the 50 million illegals.
No, you can't. Those illegals get "help" in renting an apartment, house, etc., from a friend, family member, etc., who HAS an ID ...and then they flood the rental with too many people.

'Stacking' prompts Morristown man to sell his house - Story | WWOR

Old 04-03-2016, 12:23 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,558,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
I am aware that ID request is a republican tactic against democrats. All I say is that instead of fighting those governors by using childish arguments, take responsibility and initiate a reform in ID laws. That puts the ball back in the republican court and perhaps lead to a pragmatic solution.
That sounds like a lot of real work that could lead to real solutions. Why would anybody want that?

Old 04-03-2016, 01:21 PM

7,497 posts, read 5,748,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
This is how Republican Governors are planning to win elections for their party, as they know the numbers are against them. Factor in youthful voters who are adamantly opposed to rich old white guys telling them what to believe in, or what women can do with their uterus, and you can see the demographics are shifting.

It's not as easy for the poor, especially those who don't drive, to get a photo I.D. if the deck is stacked against them. For many who live in poverty, they are losing the right to vote.

Wisconsin
They can sure as hell find a way to get to the food stamp, cash assistance and section 8 housing offices to fill out all that paperwork. Time to quit playing the victim and start thinking for yourself.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:22 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,173,937 times
It's not about repressing the vote, it's about repressing the re-vote.

This whole notion is another democrat dog whistle. Mention "voter ID" and it's immediately taken as an attack on poor minorities, no matter the reason it has to be instated is to retain the integrity of the voting process.

But I have a possible solution. If you don't have an ID you can dip your thumb into some indelible purple ink or such like that? That will keep the revote down and allow the unicorns without any form of ID to vote freely. Now everybody is happy, right?

And, oh yeah, the illegals who get by without ID in a cashless society don't count in this discussion, because, um, they aren't allowed to vote. Yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies