Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 10:05 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Not true. What the release is doing is exposing what foreign leaders and elite are doing to avoid taxes, while similar means of tax avoidance isn't available to 'the little people' who frequently have their employment as their only source of income. It's the "do as I say, not as I do" and "I won't pay taxes to support you" factors that are being exposed here.

If you think any of this is illegal for elite foreigners (of any ilk) to do, explain how Ingvar Kamprad and IKEA did so legally while building up a multi-billion dollar fortune.
Wouldn't it make sense, especially for someone who is ostensibly not as familiar with the repercussions, fall-out, unintended consequences, etc. (as you present it) to research further & form their own conclusions?

Panama Papers Expose Celebs, Politicians, Billionaires With Offshore Tax Havens Despite FATCA
Forbes Welcome

Moving money out of the usual offshore secrecy havens and into the U.S. is a brisk new business.
The World

Personally, some folks prefer to think for themselves & find the authoritarian tone off putting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 10:19 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,472,186 times
And Iceland's PM is one of the first to fall.

Panama Papers fallout: Iceland's prime minister resigns - CNN.com

Old 04-05-2016, 10:31 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
They are saying that there isn't as many US citizens on the paper... I think it is a load of BS...
We must recall that this Panama law firm is simply one of several such firms.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:39 AM

88,964 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Wouldn't it make sense, especially for someone who is ostensibly not as familiar with the repercussions, fall-out, unintended consequences, etc. (as you present it) to research further & form their own conclusions?

Panama Papers Expose Celebs, Politicians, Billionaires With Offshore Tax Havens Despite FATCA
Forbes Welcome
That article exposes no U.S. citizens, and furthermore states:
Quote:
"Offshore banks that do not hand over Americans are withholding at 30% on most transactions. Non-compliant institutions are frozen out of U.S. markets, so there is little choice but to comply. FATCA cuts off companies from access to critical U.S. financial markets if they fail to pass along American data.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:46 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
If nothing else I guess it gives a better idea of why the RW's so enamored with Vladimir.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:46 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,955,379 times
Quote:
Not true. What the release is doing is exposing what foreign leaders and elite are doing to avoid taxes, while similar means of tax avoidance isn't available to 'the little people' who frequently have their employment as their only source of income. It's the "do as I say, not as I do" and "I won't pay taxes to support you" factors that are being exposed here.

If you think any of this is illegal for elite foreigners (of any ilk) to do, explain how Ingvar Kamprad and IKEA did so legally while building up a multi-billion dollar fortune.
You have your pants in a twist. Police investigations are ongoing in lots of cases as a result of this leak. You claim that all of this is legal. Other countries actually have a functioning media that reports about the law so people can get informed.

I mean, your obsession about FATCA is well known but you seem almost manic.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
I don't get your obsession? Therefore no one should care? What's with the 'move along people nothing to see here' meme?

Old 04-05-2016, 11:04 AM

88,964 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Police investigations are ongoing in lots of cases as a result of this leak. You claim that all of this is legal. Other countries actually have a functioning media that reports about the law so people can get informed.
Fine, name any other country that has a FATCA law. And explain how Swede Ingvar Kamprad was legally able to build a $40 billion+ fortune tax-free in the past 40-ish years, but no American has ever been able to legally do so.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
By the way, considering your fascination, I think you might be more interested in this (previously linked) article:

The World’s Favorite New Tax Haven Is the United States
Moving money out of the usual offshore secrecy havens and into the U.S. is a brisk new business.
The World

Old 04-05-2016, 11:12 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
We must recall that this Panama law firm is simply one of several such firms.
They were taken from the files of the Panamanian law firm Mossack Fonseca, described as the fourth-largest offshore law firm in the world.

https://www.google.com/amp/mobile.ny...iner.amp.html#
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies