Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 12:44 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
As a white guy I was ask about the tax refund too, I don't think it's racist at all, it just sores have sales at tax time and people buy cars and furniture with tax refund
I agree, which is why I made sure to let the guy know that no offense was taken. When I told him I don't get tax refunds, he automatically looked really embarrassed and apologized too profusely IMO, which is one of the reasons I figured it must have been a racial thing. He probably thought he would come off as racist. It honestly wasn't that big of a deal.

If he had said I couldn't buy a bed because I was black, THEN it would have been a big deal and come off as racist.

Old 04-05-2016, 01:30 PM

45,225 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
There was no violence

What are you talking about?

All I said was that Fair Housing laws are valid in order to protect members of society from other members of society. I don't care about what other people think of me as a black woman. As long as my rights are not violated and I can enjoy society's offerings within my means, then I don't have a problem with other people's prejudice.
if I stick a gun in your ribs and demand your wallet, is that an act of violence?
Now if as a landlord I violate the arbitrary standards of the Fair Housing law, the perpetrator (wearing a govt issued mask) comes and sticks his gun in my ribs and demands my money, property and/or business. Same act as the first, same violence.
Violence doesn't make a society, voluntary cooperation does.

Old 04-05-2016, 01:34 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
if I stick a gun in your ribs and demand your wallet, is that an act of violence?
Now if as a landlord I violate the arbitrary standards of the Fair Housing law, the perpetrator (wearing a govt issued mask) comes and sticks his gun in my ribs and demands my money, property and/or business. Same act as the first, same violence.
What kind of nonsense is this? I cannot believe some on here actually support this. Outright discrimination. There is something seriously wrong with them.

Old 04-05-2016, 02:41 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
we have discrimination laws in this country for a reason.
What reason would that be pray tell? Because government is moral and knows how to run our lives best and property rights don't matter?

Old 04-05-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
What kind of nonsense is this? I cannot believe some on here actually support this. Outright discrimination. There is something seriously wrong with them.
Government doesn't own you or your business. They should have no say so on who someone decides to do business with. Nothing to do with supporting discrimination everything to do with supporting property rights.
Instead of relying on an immoral government how about you expose the actual bigots who, through their actions, deny service to individuals based on appearance?

Old 04-05-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Nonsense. Now bow down and do as you're told.

Old 04-05-2016, 03:25 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,733,362 times
Quote:
Well whoever owns the RV park should decide who gains admittance.
For what it's worth, if they were paying on time and didn't create a disturbance, ownership probably just penalized itself in getting rid of good reliable tenants.
Well, ya see Frank that's not how it works. Businesses that serve the public have an obligation to treat everyone fairly no matter how much the owner may or may not like a person based on the color of their skin. It's the rules of a civilized society. It's been explained to you here several times that your private home is different than a business that serves the public. You are free to deny access to your private home based on whatever criteria you wish, even race. But a business that serves the public can't discriminate based on race. That issue was put to rest decades ago with the Civil Rights amendment. Why do you insist on clinging to those outdated ideas of yours? The rest of the country (with the apparent exception of some knuckle draggers in Mississippi) disagree with you.

Old 04-05-2016, 03:29 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times
Quote:
Well whoever owns the RV park should decide who gains admittance.
For what it's worth, if they were paying on time and didn't create a disturbance, ownership probably just penalized itself in getting rid of good reliable tenants.
Discrimination against someone because of someone's race strikes me as not only unfair ... but ... unAmerican.

The philosophy of "Jim Crow" must be condemned.

Old 04-05-2016, 03:38 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I don't know man, there has to be rules everyone has to play by in America. If you are going to be in business to the general public you cannot discriminate for ridiculous reasons.

If they had any other basis, like criminal records ect...that would be different.

Just because of race? No way. They should lose their license.
That rule changed yesterday.

Obama Admin: Landlords Can't Refuse To House Criminals | The Daily Caller

http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/docu...FHAStandCR.pdf

Old 04-05-2016, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Well, ya see Frank that's not how it works. Businesses that serve the public have an obligation to treat everyone fairly no matter how much the owner may or may not like a person based on the color of their skin. It's the rules of a civilized society. It's been explained to you here several times that your private home is different than a business that serves the public. You are free to deny access to your private home based on whatever criteria you wish, even race. But a business that serves the public can't discriminate based on race. That issue was put to rest decades ago with the Civil Rights amendment. Why do you insist on clinging to those outdated ideas of yours? The rest of the country (with the apparent exception of some knuckle draggers in Mississippi) disagree with you.
It's no different than Jim Crow. I guess you're for that too? Government should never use force to make a private business serve or not serve someone. Leave it up to the private property owner. It's their property.
Obviously it is and should be against the law for government to deny service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies