Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 06:48 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,651,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Yep, except my GGrandfather came here from Italy, legally, through Ellis Island.

He cut hair for a living until he was almost 80. We wouldn't want our kids cutting hair, now would we.
My great grand parents came from Sicily. And I'm cool with children in my family doing whatever makes them happy (its the republicans who talk about respect for wealth, making the right choices, and if your not doing well its your own fault.)

Quote:
Awesome how you make a point and then say something like "let them do the jobs we don't want" as if you have a clue.
Fact is Americans will not do jobs like picking our food crops, and we need immigrants to do it.

Quote:
I lost my contracting business of 30 years to illegal crews. THEY do a lot more than menial jobs these days pal.
I apologize and I'm sorry you lost your business to illegals, and I concede they do take some jobs. I do not support them taking jobs, but what choice do I have?

I only have 2 choices,

A.) Voting/standing for high worker wages, healthcare for all, middle class tax cuts, assistance for the poor, accepting gay and transsexual people, accepting South American immigration to America (and giving some illegals citizenship), low deficits, and slow national debt growth.

B.) Low worker wages, no assistance to the poor, no middle class tax cuts, big corporate/CEO tax cuts, corporate deregulation, and huge tax cut caused deficits and debt growth.

And I choose A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post

Can you prove illegal immigration is falling? The government has been telling us for years that the number of illegals in this country is 11 million. Yet everyday, illegals sneak across the border or overstay their visas. Anyone can figure out that the number at this point is well over 11 million.
"Evidence is emerging that illegal immigration flows have fallen to their lowest level in at least two decades. The nation’s population of illegal immigrants, which more than tripled, to 12.2 million, between 1990 and 2007, has dropped by about 1 million, according to demographers at the Pew Research Center."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...2a4_story.html

Quote:
As for your bringing up republicans---I never said that they were looking out for Americans. Did you even fully read my post? We're talking about democrats here anyway, not republicans.
You said democrats no longer look out for regular Americans. But my post #20 showed that democrats are trying to raise min wage, do middle class tax cuts, lower credit card interest rates, give unemployment benefits, lower student loan interest rates, ex.ex. and the republicans are stopping them.

But perhaps you are correct democrats have changed from what they once were, but they still do things and try to do things for regular Americans.

Quote:
Yes, everybody in this country is descended from immigrants---even the Indians. What does that have to do with how things are today? Do you really think that we can continue to take in 1 million legal immigrants per annum and do nothing while countless illegals come here? Do you really think that we have unlimited natural resources and buildable land?
"The Department of Homeland Security estimated that 11.4 million illegal aliens were living in the United States in 2012."
https://www.numbersusa.org/numbers/illegal-immigration

America's population is 318.9 million people.
And America has 11 million illegal immigrants (and as my previous source stated illegal immigration numbers are falling.)

318 million American people.
11 million illegals (with numbers falling.)

Is this a problem to be scared/excited about? No its no emergency, and its something we can relax/think about and then combat the problem in a calm way (instead of forming angry mobs hating/fearing South Americans.)

Illegal immigration is just a tool republican politicians and republican news outlets use to rally republicans.

14 Propaganda Techniques Fox 'News' Uses to Brainwash Americans | Alternet

Gutiérrez warns of GOP 'fear campaign' against illegal immigrants

Immigration Fearmongering and the GOP

GOP fear parade: No end in sight (Opinion) - CNN.com

Last edited by chad3; 04-07-2016 at 07:38 PM..

Old 04-07-2016, 10:25 PM

10,829 posts, read 5,431,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
You can spin it any way you want. Bush had been in office for years and was in his second term when the Great Recession of 2008 struck.
It wasn't Bush's HUD Secretary who ordered Fannie and Freddie to buy $2.4 trillion in subprime loans, it was Clinton's.

That's not spin, it's a fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Fact is Americans will not do jobs like picking our food crops
They will if we cut them off welfare.

It is ridiculous for American taxpayers to have to support able-bodied people on welfare and at the same time be told that we need immigrants to do jobs that Americans themselves could do.

Quote:
Illegal immigration is just a tool republican politicians and republican news outlets use to rally republicans.
And it's a tool Democrat politicians use to get the Latino vote.

Why didn't Democrats just pass a bill in Congress to allow unlimited immigration? They had two whole years to do that when they controlled Congress and Obama was president, but they didn't.

They would rather have laws that we don't enforce.

And they have cynically turned illegal immigration into a racial issue -- even though "Latino" is not a race.

This ugly race-baiting and contempt for the law is typical of the Democrat mob mentality.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:16 AM

22,447 posts, read 11,972,828 times
Quote:
"Evidence is emerging that illegal immigration flows have fallen to their lowest level in at least two decades. The nation’s population of illegal immigrants, which more than tripled, to 12.2 million, between 1990 and 2007, has dropped by about 1 million, according to demographers at the Pew Research Center."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...2a4_story.html

You said democrats no longer look out for regular Americans. But my post #20 showed that democrats are trying to raise min wage, do middle class tax cuts, lower credit card interest rates, give unemployment benefits, lower student loan interest rates, ex.ex. and the republicans are stopping them.

But perhaps you are correct democrats have changed from what they once were, but they still do things and try to do things for regular Americans.

"The Department of Homeland Security estimated that 11.4 million illegal aliens were living in the United States in 2012."
https://www.numbersusa.org/numbers/illegal-immigration

America's population is 318.9 million people.
And America has 11 million illegal immigrants (and as my previous source stated illegal immigration numbers are falling.)

318 million American people.
11 million illegals (with numbers falling.)

Is this a problem to be scared/excited about? No its no emergency, and its something we can relax/think about and then combat the problem in a calm way (instead of forming angry mobs hating/fearing South Americans.)

14 Propaganda Techniques Fox 'News' Uses to Brainwash Americans | Alternet

Gutiérrez warns of GOP 'fear campaign' against illegal immigrants

Immigration Fearmongering and the GOP

GOP fear parade: No end in sight (Opinion) - CNN.com
Oh, Puhleez! You post a link that quotes the little traitor, Luis Gutierrez. Gimme a break! He's a perfect example of democrat behavior---putting illegals first and foremost. He has even said that he is in congress to work for the illegals. He keeps getting re-elected because the corrupt Illinois democrat machine carved out a district just for him. It's filled with clueless voters who, like automatons, always vote straight "D" without so much of a thought. They are too ignorant to know that by voting for him they are voting against their best interests.

And you believe the government when they tell you that there are 11.2 million illegals in this country---despite pointing out the facts. Once again, every single day, illegals sneak across the border or overstay visas. Math is not my strong suit but even I know that the 11 million number is much larger.

You point out all that you think the dems have done for Americans but, yet, what good is it when they fight tooth and nail to put illegals ahead of the millions of suffering underemployed and unemployed Americans? The dems are laughing themselves sick because there are voters who still think dems care about Americans. If you want to believe that dems still care about Americans despite the evidence saying otherwise, that's your prerogative.

You obviously live someplace where there are no illegals in your neighborhood. In situations like that, residents are clueless to the deleterious effects of illegal immigration. It must be nice living in an ivory tower.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:31 AM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Democrats, on the other hand, actually care about this country - equal rights for all, economic growth, reducing inequality, etc, etc.

It's a no-brainer, people.

If you love the USA - vote Democrat - Federal, state and local.
I may be mistaken, but neither party is an advocate for the endowed rights of the American people.
Both parties are engaged in "tax and bribe" scams to further political power and wealth.

Frankly, America has not been in compliance with the constitution since 1933. IF that is the America you want, well, you've had it for 83+ years.

The nation that was once the premier manufacturing giant, with the most track mileage, and growing prosperity is now a weakling consumer nation, with eroding infrastructure, and a dependent class of 60%... that's right. 60% of American families are wholly dependent upon government for salaries, pensions, and / or entitlements.
. . . .
The biggest tragedy is that most Americans have no clue as to the nature of their downfall. Victims of the world's greatest propaganda ministry, they argue and fight over meaningless things while being skinned alive.

. . . .
Senate Report 93-549
https://archive.org/stream/senate-re...3-549_djvu.txt
War and Emergency Powers Acts
"A majority of the people of the United States have lived all of their lives under emergency rule. For 40 years (as of the report 1933-1973), freedoms and governmental procedures guaranteed by the Constitution have, in varying degrees, been abridged by laws brought into force by states of national emergency."
FREEDOMS ... GUARANTEED BY THE CONSTITUTION ... HAVE BEEN ABRIDGED BY LAWS ... UNDER EMERGENCY RULE ...

Constitutional U.S.A. (1787 - 1933) R.I.P.

Old 04-08-2016, 03:13 AM

1,147 posts, read 717,508 times
Democrats are centre-right and Republicans are far-right. My theory is that their so-called "differences" are overstated by the media and the parties themselves to disguise that America is a plutocracy.

One example I'll use is the military–industrial complex. Republicans are portrayed as hard-hearted warmongers, much in contrast to the "peace loving" Democrats. The truth is, both parties fuel it.

And look at what happened to the Green Party's 2012 presidential candidate, Jill Stein. The Commission on Presidential Debates (run by Democrats and Republicans) prohibited Stein from attending a debate during the previous campaign season.

Democrats and Republicans will do whatever the special interests tell them to do at at the time. Political discourse in America serves to distract the populace from that. This is my observation as an outsider.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:01 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,995,510 times
We the People are nothing more than modern day indentured servants...

Old 04-08-2016, 12:59 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,609,396 times
Quote:

Democrats try to give college students lower student loan interest rates, but the republicans stop it.
Republicans Screw Over 37 Million by Blocking Bill Lowering Student Loan Interest Rates

What have the Democrats done about runaway college tuition costs? Let students go deeper in debt!

Old 04-08-2016, 01:02 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,609,396 times
Quote:
The democrats still look out for workers

The last Democratic governor of Michigan rewarded the working class with a 15% unemployment rate. But the Dems were so proud they let workers collect a whole $387 per week in unemployment compensation.

Old 04-08-2016, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post

They will if we cut them off welfare.
No one is going to do it. Did Reagan pass laws to get welfare recipients working? No
When GW Bush had control of congress did he fix the welfare system? No

Republicans "talk" about welfare to rally voters, but they don't fix the welfare system. And you just can't stop peoples welfare checks and then tell them to go pick our food crops. It would take a government agency that would find them jobs, transportation to those jobs, ex.ex. and republicans would oppose the bigger government.

Quote:
It is ridiculous for American taxpayers to have to support able-bodied people on welfare and at the same time be told that we need immigrants to do jobs that Americans themselves could do.
"When the United Farm Workers union launched a campaign offering to connect unemployed people to farm jobs, only three people accepted -- out of thousands of inquiries. Union president Arturo Rodriguez says most balked at the difficult working conditions."

US Farmers Depend on Illegal Immigrants

We literally do need immigrants to pick our food crops.

Quote:
And it's a tool Democrat politicians use to get the Latino vote.

Why didn't Democrats just pass a bill in Congress to allow unlimited immigration? They had two whole years to do that when they controlled Congress and Obama was president, but they didn't.
Republicans attack Obama for immigration but, "President Obama has deported more people than any U.S. president before him, and almost more than every other president combined from the 20th century."

Obama has deported more immigrants than any other president. Now he’s running up the score. | Fusion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies