Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should it be allowed
NO 109 64.50%
YES 60 35.50%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 02:32 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I have said that some cases MAY be moved to federal courts, but there is no REQUIREMENT for all cases to filed in federal court especially cases where there is a violation of STATE laws.

SOME MAY BE MOVED.
Defendant's lawyers nearly always remove such cases to federal court. I've explained why. I'm sorry you don't like it, but it's a matter and fact of law.

NC's law streamlines the process, and saves both plaintiffs and the state resources that would be wasted on a step in the process that will cost plaintiffs money and cost taxpayers money and lost state employee productivity but ultimately yield nothing in return.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:43 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Multiple occupancy locker rooms and showers, etc., in nearly all facilities (including schools) are open (meaning private facilities for each individual is NOT provided).

This isn't just about restrooms. It applies to multiple occupancy bathroom or changing facilities which include but are not limited to restrooms, locker rooms, changing rooms, shower rooms. It's deceptively dubbed the "bathroom bill" by opponents to deliberately mislead people on the actual language of the bill, which is intended to prevent issues of felony indecent exposure of opposite sex genitalia in multiple occupancy facilities in which various stages of undress frequently occur.
Has this been an issue? If anything transgenders will go the restroom where they fit in best - if they look like a women then to the women's room and vice versa. This bill will force a very manly woman to use the women's room. If anything transgenders will try to fly below the radar and not flash their bits and bumps.

A much more common occurrence is parents taking their opposite sex kid to the restroom. Dad taking his little daughter to the men's room or change room and mom taking her little son to the ladies room. Does the bill address this?

Old 04-11-2016, 03:12 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,660,771 times
I still am unable to close my paypal account. There is a link to close it, but it says there is something wrong.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:21 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Defendant's lawyers nearly always remove such cases to federal court. I've explained why. I'm sorry you don't like it, but it's a matter and fact of law.
Proof for the bolded?

Old 04-11-2016, 03:25 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
The Paypal decision is just one of many decisions that demonstrate individuals, organizations and companies passionate disagreement with the HB2, the North Carolina law that discriminates against the LGBT community.

Why focus only on Paypal?

Millions of Americans are outraged by the law, and actions result in consequenses.

Karma bit the NC legislators and governor in the rear end.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:32 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,335,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
You think all of them did?
You seem comfortable hurting those who didn't.
Perhaps all the people working the Springsteen
concert were "RWNJs?"
You seem comfortable letting a blatantly discriminatory law stand without protest.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:36 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
I still am unable to close my paypal account. There is a link to close it, but it says there is something wrong.
I'm getting popcorn ready to watch the great NBA boycott.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:40 PM

6,228 posts, read 3,604,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
So let me get this straight, there are individual stalls for children and transgender children to use, but it isn't okay for a transgender person to use these stalls?

You also seem to forget that we are talking about teens here, and not adults.

If you are concerned about men in the women's room, then I hate to break it to you, the W on the door isn't going to stop a man from entering that wishes to prey on women. Also, if you make it so transgender can't use the restroom they identify with, then how do you know that man in the women's restroom doesn't have a vagina or was born a woman?
You seem to forget that in addition to individual stalls for toilets, locker rooms also have open space for changing. I still haven't heard justification for some trans people wanting to use multiuse spaces when single use gender neutral spaces are available.

Guess what? A sign saying gun-free zone doesn't stop people from shooting up a place , nor does no smoking always stop people who want to smoke, people will still turn right on red when there is a sign forbidding one to do so, people will still speed through residential neighborhoods with speed bumps and posted speed limits. Should we do away with all regulations because a criminal minority will sometimes slip through? The point is that at least with rules in place it does give one the right to complain when those rules are violated, and give protection if someone in authority is present. Public restrooms are not here for the purpose of boosting self-esteem or group empowerment politics. Totally ignoring women and girls' concerns is actually very male chauvinist.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:24 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Yes, and if the federal law overlaps the state law, that's a lawful reason.

https://www.justice.gov/usao/justice-101/federal-courts

Defendant's choice where the case is heard when laws overlap, not the plaintiff's. Defendant's lawyers in such cases nearly always remove the cases to federal court because overall the outcomes for defendants are better in federal court.

This goes into that a little...

Paterson, New Jersey Litigation Attorney :: Removing A Case To Federal Court :: Bergen County, New Jersey Civil Litigation Lawyer
Yes in those specific cases that conflict with federal law as outlined in the article you posted bu ta rather large majority of cases stay at the state level, a defendant cannot just decide to move a case out of state court.

Originally you stated that a defendant could under normal circumstances just move a case to federal court. They number of cases in the other 48 states that have cases moved to federal court are an extreme minority as stated.

So NC and MS have now circumvented the ability for their constituents to sue in state court, that is rather wronn headed.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:33 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,232,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
The Paypal decision is just one of many decisions that demonstrate individuals, organizations and companies passionate disagreement with the HB2, the North Carolina law that discriminates against the LGBT community.

Why focus only on Paypal?

Millions of Americans are outraged by the law, and actions result in consequenses.

Karma bit the NC legislators and governor in the rear end.

Except that it doesn't discriminate against the LGBT community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies