Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 09:27 AM

633 posts, read 639,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Uh, because the Government lies? Pathologically..
EVERYBODY Lies.

Think the Government is bad? Pay attention to what the private sector does sometime. It's a thousand times worse if for no other reason than the lack of transparency. You KNOW when the government screws up due to sunshine laws, mandatory disclosure laws, public records, etc- outside of a handful of things like classified military documents.

Good luck getting anywhere near as much data out of Halliburton/Exxon/BP/Goldman Sachs/etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 09:29 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
There's plenty of reason to distrust the government. And Republicans have figured out how to take advantage of that:

Sabotage government at every turn, use it for every corrupt purpose imaginable... then point to those failures as to why government doesn't work and promise to do away with X complaint if elected.

Rinse and repeat.
"Rinse and repeat" the dems do the EXACT same thing!

If you think NOT, then you are VERY naive.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:31 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,923,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger Fan View Post
EVERYBODY Lies.

Think the Government is bad? Pay attention to what the private sector does sometime. It's a thousand times worse if for no other reason than the lack of transparency. You KNOW when the government screws up due to sunshine laws, mandatory disclosure laws, public records, etc- outside of a handful of things like classified military documents.

Good luck getting anywhere near as much data out of Halliburton/Exxon/BP/Goldman Sachs/etc
Agreed-and it's the subversion of the public sector by the private sector which encourages systematic greed and deception all around.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:35 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Yep, that's a good point.

My parents generation is far and away more hateful than my grandparents' generation was. Fox News and Hate Radio are the biggest difference.
"Fox News and Hate Radio are the biggest difference."

The fact that you pick on FOX News and NOT the alphabet media including the print media, which are ALL the same and the left "hate" radio is just as bad, only shows your bias.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:42 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,406,437 times
American's have always distrusted their government. American's really just distrust one another. It is evident in everyday life. We don't like seeing people on our property and we instantly either pull out a gun (in the extreme case) or - in the very least - start eyeballing them as we make a security assessment. We are not trusting people and with that comes good and bad. As for why we should trust our government - well, look at the history of the US government and tell me that you know they will do right by you. What is their record on that? Government is made up of people (and yes - democrats - corporations too) and we don't trust people, why should we trust a whole crap load of them with "authority"?

Old 04-07-2016, 01:03 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,043,113 times
Wow, thanks for all the great responses.

Looking backward it all seems so clear now. Making me realize that I wasn't paying enough attention. I was too busy building a professional career and overwhelmed with the projects that I was responsible for. Plus had so much positive faith in human nature and in the "system" that I grew up with, a belief that everything would work out OK. But now I'm retired and am looking around at what a mess everything has become. I'm horrified and deeply disappointed in the partisan politics that exists today. Both parties are focusing far to much on our differences rather than the common interests that bind us together.

We are all Americans, we will all sink or swim together if we can't find some way to return our focus and efforts to the middle ground.

Old 04-07-2016, 01:25 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,538,917 times
The federal government has been turned into a robber, stealing money from the productive for leeches.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:06 PM

33,300 posts, read 12,484,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
JFK said, aAsk NOT what your country can do for YOU, ask what YOU can do FOR your COUNTRY.

^^^^^ And this was hypocritical on JFK's part. He already knew that allowing public employees in NYC to bargain collectively had helped Mayor Wagner (New York City) get reelected. Via executive order, JFK executed a similar result in the federal sphere, hoping that this would eventually help him achieve the same result Mayor Wagner enjoyed.

Quote:
It is NOW, "WHAT CAN YOU DO FOR me. AND THE HELL IF what is best for the country.

Congressman try to bring money into their districts and sates to BRIBE the voters to vote for them again.

That is NOT what they are there to do.

They are SUPPOSED to do what is BEST FORE THE country AS A whole.
Yep.

Old 04-07-2016, 03:19 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,782,455 times
Originally Posted by steven_h

So, basically, you used your position to either make peoples lives hell or happy... not based on merit, but on if you thought they are "cool"

Awesome

Yep no reason not to trust the government at all there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svendrell View Post
Your government at work.
I live in SoCAL, and being a former conservative, now Libertarian... my vote hasn't counted in 35 years.

THAT would be YOUR government at work, not the one I voted for... though both sides are now two sides of the same political class.

I give you credit for admitting to having zero conscience about abusing your position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Agreed-and it's the subversion of the public sector by the private sector which encourages systematic greed and deception all around.
Remove lobbyists entirely. Set limits to how much special interest can hijack elections in return for favors.

It isn't the private industry, so much as multi national corporations and banking interests that are destroying us.

Old 04-07-2016, 03:23 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,376,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Fox News and Hate Radio are the biggest difference."

The fact that you pick on FOX News and NOT the alphabet media including the print media, which are ALL the same and the left "hate" radio is just as bad, only shows your bias.
How Roger Ailes Built the Fox News Fear Factory | Rolling Stone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies