Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 09:40 PM

35,692 posts, read 21,049,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Many snowbirds live in Florida at least 6 months and a day to avoid paying taxes to their home state.

I DK where most snow birds tend to vote by absentee ballot.

i just think they really not residents and should have no say in our politics or laws etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 09:41 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,372,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
That's not true. Only people who have taxable income pay a fine, but it only deducted from your refund or future refunds. Nobody gets a bill from the IRS for Obamacare.
Awe You just shot that balloon of mis-informed rhetoric that has spewed from the beginning...BTW~~ The young Women yelling at her Governor would likely qualify for medicaid but due to her Governor's refusal to accept the expansion..Voila..He basically threw folks like her to the curb!

No doubt she spoke for a whole lot of folks living in her position!!

Old 04-06-2016, 09:42 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
I guess you quoted me before I added "or future refunds."
Yep. That's the case for now anyway. I have to wonder to what extent they will expand efforts to collect in the future. I have to do taxes this week, and my wife was without insurance for a few months last year...and I have it set up to always owe some amount. Thinking of giving them an FU and not paying the penalty and see what happens.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:59 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
i just think they really not residents and should have no say in our politics or laws etc
Many of them live in FL for a lot less than 181 days and still claim homestead and pay no state tax. It's really impossible to track all of them.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:29 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
If it had been McDonalds drinking a $1 any size coffee sucking up the free wifi I might have a little sympathy.

Old 04-07-2016, 05:54 AM

35,692 posts, read 21,049,622 times
was she there picking up coffee for the boss? I am NOT a Starbucks fan-- but occasionally go for another

Old 04-07-2016, 05:58 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
An angry young woman at Starbucks yells and complains to Rick Scott that "you cut Medicaid so I couldn't get Obamacare".

I assume she is unemployed or has a low wage/parttime job and is just using the free wi-fi at Starbucks as she has no drink.

Am I missing something? Even without Medicaid can't she get a private & subsidized (free to her) Blue Cross policy through healthcare.gov?

I think we found the typical bernie voter!

Old 04-07-2016, 06:01 AM

Quote:
I don't know where you live, but when I moved to FL I was shocked by the low wages and the number of companies with no benefits. Maybe this woman wasn't looking for free anything, only the chance to take care of her family while she gets a better education or works 2 minimum wage jobs. Of course, both of us don't know what her situation is, but he has consistently proposed bills to violate the rights of the working class. He closed polling locations and cut the number of early voting days in 2012 before the national election. His drug testing policy for anyone receiving state assistance was shut down by a Federal judge for violating Constitutional rights.
"but when I moved to FL I was shocked by the low wages and the number of companies with no benefits"

Yet places like Starbucks thrive!

Something doesn't add up.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Are you familiar with the laws in Florida? One of the provisions of Obamacare is expansion of coverage to low-income families through Medicaid. 32 states expanded health coverage, but FL was one of the 19 that didn't. If my math looks wrong, I'm including Washington DC in the 32. I think most of the 19 have Republican governors. I'd have to list all of them and check, however. Anyway, this affected 1.5 million Florida residents.
"FL was one of the 19 that didn't."

And look at how some that DID are doing!

Old 04-07-2016, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Exactly. Florida is filled with a lot of retirees that don't care that Rick Scott said no to Medicaid expansion for low-income families. They get Medicare. Except most retirees depend on people like me to pay to supplement their Medicare coverage because they didn't pay enough in for the amount of coverage they receive. It is sickening that they have no problem taking all those benefits, but have nothing but insults to throw at young Florida families that can't afford health coverage because Rick Scott wanted to make political points.

Never mind that Rick Scott was fined hugely for...Medicare Fraud. And they still elected him governor.

In fact, today’s typical Medicare beneficiary will have paid into the system just 13% to 41% of his or her expected Medicare consumption. The rest is funded by payroll taxes paid by today’s working Americans.

Forbes Welcome

Kudos to that woman for calling him out.
"They get Medicare."

The do NOT GET Medicare.

They PAY for it.

"On July 30, 1965 President Lyndon B. Johnson made Medicare law by signing H.R. 6675 in Independence, Missouri. Former President Truman was issued the very first Medicare card during the ceremony. In 1965, the budget for Medicare was around $10 billion and 19 million individuals signed up for Medicare during its first year."
https://www.medicareresources.org/ba...y-of-medicare/

Just another dem project gone bad, as usual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies