Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 07:06 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"but when I moved to FL I was shocked by the low wages and the number of companies with no benefits"

Yet places like Starbucks thrive!

Something doesn't add up.
Retirees. They get Medicare, which they paid little into but receive unlimited benefits. How does that compute? Well tax payers like me pay for those Medicare recipients.

In fact, today’s typical Medicare beneficiary will have paid into the system just 13% to 41% of his or her expected Medicare consumption. The rest is funded by payroll taxes paid by today’s working Americans.

Forbes Welcome

Makes Starbucks more affordable doesn't it? And Medicare recipients get to call those that are not getting all that health coverage "takers". Oh the irony. This woman could have been drinking a $2. drip coffee while using their wifi to look for a job. You don't know. But we do know Medicare recipients are getting far more health coverage than they paid for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 07:13 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,135,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I don't know where you live, but when I moved to FL I was shocked by the low wages and the number of companies with no benefits. Maybe this woman wasn't looking for free anything, only the chance to take care of her family while she gets a better education or works 2 minimum wage jobs. Of course, both of us don't know what her situation is, but he has consistently proposed bills to violate the rights of the working class. He closed polling locations and cut the number of early voting days in 2012 before the national election. His drug testing policy for anyone receiving state assistance was shut down by a Federal judge for violating Constitutional rights.
Didn't he or his wife own a drug testing facility?

Old 04-07-2016, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Retirees. They get Medicare, which they paid little into but receive unlimited benefits. How does that compute? Well tax payers like me pay for those Medicare recipients.

In fact, today’s typical Medicare beneficiary will have paid into the system just 13% to 41% of his or her expected Medicare consumption. The rest is funded by payroll taxes paid by today’s working Americans.

Forbes Welcome

Makes Starbucks more affordable doesn't it? And Medicare recipients get to call those that are not getting all that health coverage "takers". Oh the irony. This woman could have been drinking a $2. drip coffee while using their wifi to look for a job. You don't know. But we do know Medicare recipients are getting far more health coverage than they paid for.
You do realize those on medicare pay a monthly premium? Also they pay for a monthly premium for gap insurance. They also contributed to medicare since its conception 40 years ago or so while not getting any benefit at all until retirement.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
You do realize those on medicare pay a monthly premium? Also they pay for a monthly premium for gap insurance. They also contributed to medicare since its conception 40 years ago or so while not getting any benefit at all until retirement.
And still they take far more than they contributed. Did you see Forbes' report? They contribute between 13% and 41% of the benefits they receive. And who pays for the rest? Taxpayers like me. Yet those same retirees will be the first to scream takers at someone struggling to receive health coverage. While I feel fortunate to have coverage, I sympathize with those that don't. Health coverage is not like car insurance. You can choose not to drive. For the amount retirees put in, a heart bypass, maybe a hip surgery and the money is spent. PLUS, many retirees receive Medicaid on top of the Medicare in order to stay in senior homes.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
And still they take far more than they contributed. Did you see Forbes' report? They contribute between 13% and 41% of the benefits they receive. And who pays for the rest? Taxpayers like me. Yet those same retirees will be the first to scream takers at someone struggling to receive health coverage. While I feel fortunate to have coverage, I sympathize with those that don't. Health coverage is not like car insurance. You can choose not to drive. For the amount retirees put in, a heart bypass, maybe a hip surgery and the money is spent. PLUS, many retirees receive Medicaid on top of the Medicare in order to stay in senior homes.
I understand what you are saying. Healthcare is so out of control price wise that yes, many later on need much more coverage (medicaid). But still, they paid for it all those years and still do, in that many have the mindset that they paid for it, were able to live long enough to use it, feel cheated now that others need it now. Another words I got mine, screww you. But not all feel that way, whose minds aren't closed and are able to think in abstract. I've been paying for medicare since the 1970s and would love to use it now instead of waiting, while getting screwed by for-profit insurance. Every very conservative retired person I know on medicare, love it. I say coverage for all. And regulate the out of control costs, streamline the delivery of healthcare.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:10 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
Instead of yelling, perhaps this lady should have spent her time applying for a job at Starbuck's, a company that offers it's employees health insurance as a part of their compensation package.
Working at Starbucks | Starbucks Coffee Company
Quote:
Benefits-eligible partners (those working 20 or more hours a week) can get a wide range of perks, benefits and assistance. Your Special Blend might include bonuses, 401(k) matching and discounted stock purchase options. We offer adoption assistance and health coverage for you and your dependents, including domestic partners.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
I understand what you are saying. Healthcare is so out of control price wise that yes, many later on need much more coverage (medicaid). But still, they paid for it all those years and still do, in that many have the mindset that they paid for it, were able to live long enough to use it, feel cheated now that others need it now. Another words I got mine, screww you. But not all feel that way, whose minds aren't closed and are able to think in abstract. I've been paying for medicare since the 1970s and would love to use it now instead of waiting, while getting screwed by for-profit insurance. Every very conservative retired person I know on medicare, love it. I say coverage for all. And regulate the out of control costs, streamline the delivery of healthcare.
I agree with that. I'm not opposed to Medicare. I have health coverage but every time I see Obamacare or any approach to health coverage demonized or people desperate to receive health coverage ridiculed, it is most often by seniors. These same seniors take far far more in Medicare than they put in. Their health coverage is super expensive and many receive the benefits when they didn't even work, through their spouse. On top of that, many of these same seniors also receive Medicaid. This is all paid for by those that work - people like me.

People like Rick Scott are sickening. He's counting on the "I got mine" vote and there's enough of them to get him elected because Florida is full of retirees. If they do it state by state, I'm fine by that. I live in Washington State and I would want someone moving here to have to live here for five or ten years before they qualify to participate in Washington health care programs. That's what this is going to become. Turning states against each other because some states see the value in broad health coverage and other states like Florida, depending on government funded retirees to function.

If retirees are going to be so self-centered, perhaps the best approach is just to give them the health coverage they paid in. Once that's spent, they are done. They can buy insurance like the rest of us do. Then we'll see how they feel about the Rick Scotts of the country.

By the way, those out of control costs are that way because they are padding those costs in order to pay for people who don't have health insurance. You can't have it both ways. This is why other countries have costs that are so much lower. Because they cover everyone and the costs are real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Instead of yelling, perhaps this lady should have spent her time applying for a job at Starbuck's, a company that offers it's employees health insurance as a part of their compensation package.
Working at Starbucks | Starbucks Coffee Company
How do you know she didn't? How do you know she wasn't drinking a small drip coffee and using their wifi to apply for jobs? This ridiculing those that are struggling has gotten so old. Rick Scott is a multi-millionaire. It is a good thing for him to see how his politically motivated decisions have very real impacts on people.

Old 04-07-2016, 11:22 AM

19,839 posts, read 12,099,283 times
Here we are 7 pages in and people are still believing this community agitator. She's an angry middle aged stay at home mom who wants the government to subsidize her lifestyle choices.

Old 04-07-2016, 11:51 AM

865 posts, read 1,488,889 times
Why is this person even getting attention? She is obviously angry, bitter, and has a potty mouth, not to mention hard on the eyes. Just makes me sick that people like this get even 2 minutes of internet fame! Where are the people who are contributing to the world in a positive manner? Why do we never hear their story...that's right, they aren't staging verbal protests on camera! They are actually too busy making this world a better place!

Old 04-07-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Here we are 7 pages in and people are still believing this community agitator. She's an angry middle aged stay at home mom who wants the government to subsidize her lifestyle choices.
And I want to stop subsidizing the retirements of retirees in Florida who get unlimited health coverage when they only contributed 13% to 41% of the health coverage they are receiving. Put them in the same circumstances as this woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies