Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2016, 05:40 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times

Advertisements

Just think how much more Mickey D's could make if there were no minimum wage or hourly limits on employers. Then eliminate welfare for the poor and wages could be even lower. Now that would be a business utopia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 07:15 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,768,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That is certainly not my recollection, do you have data that would support that claim? There is a 'ripple effect' from minimum wage increases but economists have found that it is limited to those making less than 150% of the minimum wage. And I checked several sources and all of them appear to show that wages took a dump in 2009
That would likely be because the recession overrode any effect of base adjustments. Combine that with the widespread ending of merit raises in 2008-2009 and you see wages drop.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I know that individual stories on the internet are worthless but we are the only ones that make what we make with what we make it with.

We make it on machinery that is 80 years old which gives it properties that are hard to duplicate with new machinery.
That makes a lot of sense and would be a good reason for you guys to operate differently.
I think tech in particular (and St Louis is rapidly becoming a tech heavy town), is following the poach instead of train pattern.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
No, I understand the difference, I also understand they both are called raises. So you cannot claim people did get raises if that isn't true. From what others are saying on here, it sounds like most people haven't seen any sort of raise over the past 12 years, which would go against this idea that everyone gets a raise when minimum wage goes up.

Though one could also say, those making those most saw a massive amount of increases while the rest saw little to none.
No, they are not both raises. A raise is only when you get a permanent increase in wages based purely on merit. Anything else is not a raise.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:02 AM

2,464 posts, read 1,286,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
No, they are not both raises. A raise is only when you get a permanent increase in wages based purely on merit. Anything else is not a raise.
"Increase of wage" sound better? Though technically they are both raises because the definition of the word raise means something goes up. So did your wage increase in 2007, 2008, and 2009?

Old 04-19-2016, 08:03 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Are you kidding me. You don't get a yearly raise. I have never know any company who doesn't do that. I think they have used and abused you And huge companies like Mcdonalds, Walmart, etc would absolutely be able to absorb those costs. But that means less pay for the CEO who makes millions.
If you work for a small business, you don't always get a raise every year. I worked the last 11 years of my career at a doctor's office. I got a raise about every two years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
One is generally called a "Cost of Living" raise, the other a "merit" raise. Both are raises. Both give you more money.

Old 04-19-2016, 01:36 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Are you kidding me. You don't get a yearly raise. I have never know any company who doesn't do that. I think they have used and abused you And huge companies like Mcdonalds, Walmart, etc would absolutely be able to absorb those costs. But that means less pay for the CEO who makes millions.

90% of McD' s are not owned by McD's. The franchissee in your town, a small businessman, owns them.,

Old 04-19-2016, 01:40 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Most likely the same person or company owns most or all of the franchise in town. Monopolies work on a small scale almost as well as on the large scale.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:14 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
We should raise it parallel to COL starting NOW, about 2% per year. With the law of 72s, by 2052, it would be $14.50.
My salary, and I suspect it is the same with almost everyone else, is not tied to COL. I have to actually perform well to get a raise. Why would MW'ers get an automatic raise?

Old 04-19-2016, 02:31 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
My salary, and I suspect it is the same with almost everyone else, is not tied to COL. I have to actually perform well to get a raise. Why would MW'ers get an automatic raise?
They would,too, as automation in fast food and retail will greatly reduce demand, so corps will be cherry-picking the best 1/4 to 1/2 from existing staff not too far in the future. (50-75% rote jobs gone seems to be what most articles in bus mags I have read point to, for rote tasks). The mom and pops will not be able to invest, but franchisees can)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies