Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2016, 09:22 AM

1,504 posts, read 848,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
"and concentrate on reading" (as long as the teachers have been careful to ban any book which reflects family structures that exist in society that I don't approve of).

Who is actually against Freedom and who is in favor of Repression?
All my kids are grown. I have a girlfriend with an 8 year old child. The kid asked the mother "What is sex?" That is a very basic and simple question. We do not need to complicate the issue before the kids are clear about the basis. My adult kids when younger were all liberal progressives. Once they got older and wanted and had lives of their own...They all came to the realization that there is no real stable future in being a progressive...that there is no real value...They want traditional lives that are rich and satisfying as possible...Like having husbands....wives....kids....normal stuff..and yes the nuclear family is the norm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 09:24 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,631,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
If I were to complain that they read a book that had a mommy and daddy claiming that it was sex ed, people would think I was nuts. Right? So why would this be any different?
By 4, kids already know what "mommy" and "daddy" mean. That's a simple concept. And that's where that education ends at that age. Anything further is age-inappropriate material, not society-inappropriate. Do you understand there's a difference?

Quote:
As for confusion, really? I have found children to be far more accepting than adults in many cases. Generally kids easily take it in stride that I am a woman married to a woman. None of my sons friends have freaked out, or acted odd. It is generally something that is met with "ok, do you have any cookies".
Neat. Now can we get back on topic, talking about whether this is age-appropriate material for all 4 year old children? I say no, and the scientific studies I've read back that up. Have you found even one scientific study (babycenter doesn't count) that shows that children can understand persistent emotions like love and romantic feelings at age 4? Even one. My question is still out there for you, I'd love to see your research on it.

Quote:
I am pointing out the hypocrisy about the situation. Those parents would freak out if someone objected to a story about an interracial family calling it sex ed. But OMG same sex parents means sex!
The hypocrisy is only in your own mind. You still haven't shown that it's age-appropriate material for all 4 year olds.

When they get a little older, they can learn what love is, and then romantic love, and then how most of the time, romantic love means man-woman, but in rare occasions it means man-man or woman-woman. And that's ok.

But not a topic for a 4 year old, save for the very rare chance it affects them personally. Same goes with so many other topics that I've given as examples, and you've ignored. If a 4 year old watched someone die, well, we're going to be learning about death and dead bodies a little earlier, aren't we? This doesn't mean it should be part of the standard school curriculum for 4 year olds.

That's a topic for a family to educate, not a school.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
How are parents starting the gender reassignment process? They may use hormone blocker in teens, but there is not process to be started in 3-5 year olds. And the hormone blockers do nothing but stall physical development and it is fully reversible by simply stopping treatment. No permanent changes happen before one is of legal age to consent to the procedures.
Huh? Who said anything about HRT for 3-5 year olds? Not me.

Are we having the same discussion here? You keep quoting me, then throwing in all these extras I never said.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:33 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,165,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
By 4, kids already know what "mommy" and "daddy" mean. That's a simple concept. And that's where that education ends at that age. Anything further is age-inappropriate material, not society-inappropriate. Do you understand there's a difference?

Neat. Now can we get back on topic, talking about whether this is age-appropriate material for all 4 year old children? I say no, and the scientific studies I've read back that up. Have you found even one scientific study (babycenter doesn't count) that shows that children can understand persistent emotions like love and romantic feelings at age 4? Even one. My question is still out there for you, I'd love to see your research on it.

The hypocrisy is only in your own mind. You still haven't shown that it's age-appropriate material for all 4 year olds.

When they get a little older, they can learn what love is, and then romantic love, and then how most of the time, romantic love means man-woman, but in rare occasions it means man-man or woman-woman. And that's ok.

But not a topic for a 4 year old, save for the very rare chance it affects them personally. Same goes with so many other topics that I've given as examples, and you've ignored. If a 4 year old watched someone die, well, we're going to be learning about death and dead bodies a little earlier, aren't we? This doesn't mean it should be part of the standard school curriculum for 4 year olds.

That's a topic for a family to educate, not a school.
If 4 year old know what mommy and daddy mean, then they know what two mommies mean. In all honesty it was probably no more in depth then the book that has all different family types that had one page that said Bobby has two dads right after the page that said Sally has a mom and a step dad.

Why would it be any more taboo than mentioning any other type of non nuclear family?

The parent has the option to remove her child from the PRIVATE school if they object to the curriculum.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Huh? Who said anything about HRT for 3-5 year olds? Not me.

Are we having the same discussion here? You keep quoting me, then throwing in all these extras I never said.
OK. Exactly what gender reassignment processes are parents starting on 3-5 year olds?

Old 04-08-2016, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
PC run riot. Teaching this stuff to 4 year olds is insane. If people choose to be gay, fine. However, I'm sick of the PC folks and media trying to teach young people that it's a "normal, alternative" lifestyle.
What cracks me up is how self-defeating the PC movement has become. "I'm tolerant of other beliefs unless they don't line up with mine!"

And then at 3 or 4 years old, anything new becomes their new favorite topic. It's not like they're old enough to understand it, let alone apply critical thinking.

I remember seeing how far we could take the song concept with my oldest daughter when she was 3. I sang "Why Does the Sun Shine" by They Might Be Giants, and it was a hit -- she'd sing "The sun is a mass of incandescent gas; a gigantic nuclear furnace!" Well, the best a 3 year old could, at least.

Then I'd ask "what is the sun?"
"A mass of incandescent gas!"
"That's right! And what IS incandescent gas?"
"Ummmmmm, I dunno!" (with that cute embarrassed look toddlers get)
"Do YOU want to be incandescent gas?"
"YEAH!!"

So my daughter wanted to be incandescent gas at that age. That's because at that age, kids are adorable and destructive parrots. They don't understand everything they say though.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:52 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,101,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
exactly.

so this way, when little Erica or Johnny are adults and meet a LGBT for the first time, they can display that Christian look of horror and closed mind that they're known for.
You really enjoy bashing Christianity, don't you?

Old 04-08-2016, 09:53 AM

52,541 posts, read 34,259,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Well, how exactly are you defining objective? Do you mean "both sides" are presented, because that's not necessarily objective. I wouldn't call a science class that gives equal time discussing a heliocentric model as it does a geocentric model as being objective. I'd call it a bad science class. One of these is objectively untrue.

Interestingly enough, they posted their objectives and you posted them as well. What of them is troubling to you?
for four year olds? all of them.

you really, truly think 4 year olds should be concerned about 'disrupting heteronormativity'?
please

what if a hetero group was was propagandizing a classroom agenda for 4 year old tykes called 'straight(en)ing the classroom' - would you be ok with that?

Old 04-08-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
OK. Exactly what gender reassignment processes are parents starting on 3-5 year olds?
Would you like me to look up some of the news articles on that for you to get specifics? Or would you like to do that on your own time?

Old 04-08-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Would you like me to look up some of the news articles on that for you to get specifics? Or would you like to do that on your own time?
You made the claim that parents are starting the "gender reassignment process" on 3-5 year olds.
To continue this discussion I would like to know what those processes are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies