Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 04:34 PM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
And this person doing this to themselves affects you... how?

Trying to fly off the top of a building is highly likely to cause death. Getting optional cosmetic surgery is not likely to cause death. Not even close to the same thing.

It's their life. Let them live it the way they want to.

And I notice the link in the OP was to some Christian fundie woo site.
But we don't much like them kinds in our neck of the woods...

Old 04-07-2016, 04:59 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
Is there a rule somewhere that something has to directly affect me before I am allowed to express an opinion on it?
You are the one wanting an "intervention" and counseling for someone that is not hurting anyone. What If there is something that you do that others think is odd? Should they have an intervention and commit you?

How about letting them do as they please, and you do as you please?

Old 04-07-2016, 05:10 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,955 times
Quote:
It matters in the sense that this person is clearly mentally ill to "identify" as a dragon enough to seriously mutilate their body to appear as some hideous facsimile of one.

It matters in the sense that we live in a society that enables, encourages and apologizes for such behavior instead of say... an intervention or getting them some counseling or help.

It matters that you can apparently go somewhere to get your ears and nose surgically removed for aesthetic purposes and there are people who take money and do this sort of thing.

I mean.. if some crazy person said they "identify" as Superman and attempted to fly off the top of a building. Most people would stop them, right? But someone says they identify as a dragon or a cat and can go get surgically mutilated to try and appear that way?

Our society is sick.
I won't pretend to know why this person did what they did. Maybe it's mental illness, maybe it's a bit more complicated that that.

The fact is, mentally ill or not, they are their own person and can make those choices. You don't have to agree with them, you can even express an opinion, but at the end of the day, you don't get to have a problem with that person for any justifiable reason. And I'm not accusing you specifically of that. If anything, it's more directed at people who think like the OP's link expresses, which is a Christian fundamentalist site talking about Christian values, despite having no real relevance to this topic.

As for your Superman analogy, the key difference is that jumping off a building will kill them. Plastic surgery will not.

Old 04-07-2016, 05:12 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Degeneracy taken to new heights.

Old 04-07-2016, 05:35 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,371,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
You are the one wanting an "intervention" and counseling for someone that is not hurting anyone. What If there is something that you do that others think is odd? Should they have an intervention and commit you?
"odd"? This goes waaay beyond odd
I'd say if I willingly had my ears and nose sliced off and thought I was literally a dragon.. I would someone would intervene instead of encourage it.

Old 04-07-2016, 05:35 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Does this matter?

Rather you think what it is doing is right, or whatever is irrelevant. Does it matter? Is there any reason for anyone here to really care about this? I'll care when it comes to this person being harassed or bullied or whatever. No one, regardless of your opinion of them, should be harassed or assaulted. But is there really anything to say besides that?
Of course it doesn't matter. But the people who have nothing to do need SOMETHING to cry about. It fills their meaningless lives.

Old 04-07-2016, 05:41 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
"odd"? This goes waaay beyond odd
I'd say if I willingly had my ears and nose sliced off and thought I was literally a dragon.. I would someone would intervene instead of encourage it.
Again, body modification has been going on for thousands of years in every culture. Some are minor, some are major.

Look at corseting, women used to wear them so tight that their internal organs would shift. Foot binding would create a 4 inch foot. Neck stretching to the point that the neck can no longer support the head without the rings. Lips stretched with disks the size of dinner plates.

This is not something new.

Old 04-07-2016, 05:44 PM

35,700 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Again, body modification has been going on for thousands of years in every culture. Some are minor, some are major.

Look at corseting, women used to wear them so tight that their internal organs would shift. Foot binding would create a 4 inch foot. Neck stretching to the point that the neck can no longer support the head without the rings. Lips stretched with disks the size of dinner plates.

This is not something new.
did you know watch capt Jack Sparrow?

Old 04-07-2016, 05:58 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Does this matter?

Rather you think what it is doing is right, or whatever is irrelevant. Does it matter? Is there any reason for anyone here to really care about this? I'll care when it comes to this person being harassed or bullied or whatever. No one, regardless of your opinion of them, should be harassed or assaulted. But is there really anything to say besides that?
Quote:
I won't pretend to know why this person did what they did. Maybe it's mental illness, maybe it's a bit more complicated that that.

The fact is, mentally ill or not, they are their own person and can make those choices.
And you'll get to fund them through your tax dollars.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:44 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
And this is important, why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies