Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 07:26 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,371,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by svendrell View Post
I suppose we could hunt her, now that she's no longer human. If she objects, we could tell her that she self identifies as a dragon (who are we to argue). Lol.
This raises another interesting point.
This person is still treated by society as fully human, regardless of how they "self-identify". I assume she is still employed or able to collect and get benefits. Should a "non-human" be able to do that?

So we are essentially enabling a mental delusion. No one but her seriously thinks she is a real dragon or a non-human but for all intents and purposes, still is treated as one.

I'm not saying she shouldn't be, what I am saying is she should be receiving mental health counseling.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
If one is a danger to others, then they should not be released. This person is not a danger to anyone, she supports herself, worked in banking, manages to live in society without any assistance. What would the reason be for locking them up?
Treating mental illness goes beyond whether someone is a danger to others.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:33 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,199,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
Well we keep hearing in this thread that we should all mind or own business and this person isn't hurting anyone else. I guess that isn't the case, is it?
I have a right to express an opinion on how my tax dollars are spent and I don't like the idea of helping to pay for someone else's bad decisions as the result of their mental delusions.

I'd be happy to have my taxes go toward mental health counseling but not the fallout of whatever medical complications arise from this.
So then I shouldn't have to pay for smokers, or over weight people on medicare. Or those who were alcoholics, or ever used drugs, or ever got hurt for an avoidable reason.

Everyone does things that may possibly have future repercussions. I had children, that can have an effect on my future health. I broke bones climbing trees that will probably end up causing arthritis. I have bad ankles and foot issues due to wearing heels. There is even a link between using deodorant and cancer, but I still use deodorant daily.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:36 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,199,967 times
Quote:
This raises another interesting point.
This person is still treated by society as fully human, regardless of how they "self-identify". I assume she is still employed or able to collect and get benefits. Should a "non-human" be able to do that?

So we are essentially enabling a mental delusion. No one but her seriously thinks she is a real dragon or a non-human but for all intents and purposes, still is treated as one.

I'm not saying she shouldn't be, what I am saying is she should be receiving mental health counseling.
There are millions of Americans that talk to an imaginary friend, think that he is watching them all the time and if they are bad he will punish them. Yet we enable this mental delusion it is even protected in the constitution.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:44 AM

Quote:
So then I shouldn't have to pay for smokers, or over weight people on medicare. Or those who were alcoholics, or ever used drugs, or ever got hurt for an avoidable reason.

Everyone does things that may possibly have future repercussions. I had children, that can have an effect on my future health. I broke bones climbing trees that will probably end up causing arthritis. I have bad ankles and foot issues due to wearing heels. There is even a link between using deodorant and cancer, but I still use deodorant daily.
So the notion that we should all mind our own business because this person isn't hurting or affecting anyone with their decision is false then.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:51 AM

Quote:
There are millions of Americans that talk to an imaginary friend, think that he is watching them all the time and if they are bad he will punish them. Yet we enable this mental delusion it is even protected in the constitution.
...and these people grew up with those ideas in a very formative time in their lives and often had them taught by their parents or family members as the absolute truth. That is very different from mental illness.

I am an atheist also btw so I am not defending this. In fact there is an atheist author who considers this a form of child abuse (religion) and I tend to agree. I think it's Richard Dawkins.
You are telling kids at a very impressionable age that they or people they care about will burn in hell for all eternity if they don't follow whatever religion they are being indoctrinated into.

So as an atheist adult who is shocked at what other grown adults believe in, in the name of various religions, I really can't call it mental illness when they were exposed or indoctrinated with this at a very formative age.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:52 AM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
You are the one wanting an "intervention" and counseling for someone that is not hurting anyone. What If there is something that you do that others think is odd? Should they have an intervention and commit you?

How about letting them do as they please, and you do as you please?
You mean "do unto others as you would have them do unto you?"

Old 04-08-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
The article points out how disconnected we are now to our bodies. This is how our society going. Not saying we can do anything about it and the person can do it. It is sad though one can't accept how they are made.
I'm still pretty well connected to my body and nobody can take that away from me!

Old 04-08-2016, 10:00 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,974,985 times
Imagine!?

Old 04-08-2016, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Fine, but who will pay when there are health complications down the line, not the least of which would be the risk of a serious infection, diminished hearing, etc?
Your ears and your nose are not cosmetic or useless appendages that can safely be lopped off.

So if or more likely WHEN, this decision doesn't end well for the dragon lady, who do you think is going to be paying for it?
When it comes to concern over cost to society from Dragon Ladies and the like as compared to say smoking, you might say we've got better things to worry about. Just saying...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies