Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 07:08 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,724,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
This must be the party of small government I keep hearing about.
It sure is!!! Take the money out automatically. No additional levels of government needed.

Every penny of interest or income I earn is already reported to the government. Why should people who live in the underground cash economy be free of taxes that I have to pay???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 07:13 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,724,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Under what law can Trump confiscate the assets of illegals?
The same way the assets of drug dealers are confiscated upon arrest if they can't prove how those assets were paid for.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:32 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Mexico isn't paying for a damn thing with this idiotic concept.

And no, Mexico doesn't really need us at this point--their birthrate is down to first-world levels (2.2 per household), and they have an average life expectancy of 77. Like the US, Asia, and Europe, they're going to be experiencing a shortage of working-age adults very soon.

In their quest to "Make America White Again" right-wingers are ignoring that we need immigration to stay relevant economically, and xenophobic immigration policies only lead to economic stagnation. Don't believe me, ask Japan.
Everything you need to know about Japan's population crisis
"And no, Mexico doesn't really need us at this point"

And where do you think they sell their cars and other products to?

Old 04-10-2016, 07:38 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Under what law can Trump confiscate the assets of illegals?
I can't believe you even asked that question.

How about this, Under what law can the government confiscate the assets of criminals?

You might want to look it up!

PSST, illegals ARE criminals.

Old 04-10-2016, 06:42 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
If they have a bank account.

Many in the cash society do not.
Illegals don't have to live in the cash society anymore. They get a tax ID number to open bank accounts and are legally issued driver licenses. I don't think this plan would work. Too many ways around it. There are always people who need pesos in Mexico and those who need dollars in the US. It takes one phone call. Tariffs are the most straightforward way. You don't even have to make a big deal out of it. Spread over 4 years, the cost of the wall amounts to 5% of the annual trade deficit per year. Heck, sales tax is higher in most places.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:13 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,686,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
There should be a tax or surcharge paid on Western union transfers of money out of the country.
It doesn't help our economy when money that is earned here is not spent here. We have so many legal and illegal people who work and send their pay back home. We have others who don't work who collect welfare and they send supplies back.

I can't help but think of these people as ticks. They suck the blood from their host, get their fill then go home.

I have seen this play out in a nearby Brazilian community where the guys both legal and not work hard and send the money home. It is great that they want to work and will often work cheaper, not so good for the American worker that is often displaced by this practice but they do work. In many cases you get what you pay for.

The major problem with this arrangement of sending American dollars back is what happens to America when it is sucked dry? They can go home but where do we go?
What will happen if other countries also start putting a tax/surcharge on American products. Everytime Amazon Inc. sells anything in Europe or somebody buys Apple Product or Nike, Coca Cola, Pepsi, Boeing Plane-put an extra surcharge. Those profits will not reach to America. For every Action, there is Equal and Opposite reaction. So these kind of talks should be avoided.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:46 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
What will happen if other countries also start putting a tax/surcharge on American products. Everytime Amazon Inc. sells anything in Europe or somebody buys Apple Product or Nike, Coca Cola, Pepsi, Boeing Plane-put an extra surcharge. Those profits will not reach to America. For every Action, there is Equal and Opposite reaction. So these kind of talks should be avoided.
Except for the fact that so many countries import American foodstuffs and other necessities that restrictive tariffs on US food products would both starve and impoverish the people subject to the tax/surcharge, you make a persuasive argument.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:49 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,308,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
Sure.

There are TONS of ways around his dumbass plan.

It'll never happen. He is foolish for even suggesting it out loud.
The first thing I thought of is PayPal.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:53 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:

And no, Mexico doesn't really need us at this point--...
Then I guess all this talk about people wanting to come here for better life is just a bunch of BS and we can send them home.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:56 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:

In their quest to "Make America White Again" right-wingers are ignoring that we need immigration to stay relevant economically, and xenophobic immigration policies only lead to economic stagnation. Don't believe me, ask Japan.
There is legal ways for immigrants to enter this country, this discussion is about illegal immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies