Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 01:00 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times

Advertisements

As I read the bill, the facility is responsible for the disposition of fetal remains as has always been the case when a woman did not make other arrangements. The difference now is that the facility is legally required to separate the remains from other biomedical waste. What is considered cremation and any requirements for the facility doing the cremation is unclear. As far as I'm concerned, a hospital can put an entire week's remains in their incinerator, remove the ash to the normal disposal site, and still meet the requirements of the law. That's how poorly written this legislation is. And does this really differ from how it's usually been handled? Not really. Incineration has been replaced with the feel-good word, cremation, but the process isn't all that different.

What I see happening as a result of this law is that women who experience a D&C, where there is no intact fetal body, will allow the provider to dispose of the remains in its usual and customary manner. It's possible that providers will begin charging more as a response to the law, but the idea that a woman must now make funeral arrangements for the results of a D&C or that a woman miscarrying at home must preserve the tissue and present it for cremation is hyperbole. That's not what the legislation says, but it's what is being trotted out to serve the interests of the pro-choice movement by people who haven't taken the time to read and understand the legislation.

Now, again, I am unequivocally pro-choice -- I want to be clear about that -- but what is being promoted on Twitter, Facebook, and other forms of social media outrage machine is not an accurate representation of the Indiana legislation, and it detracts from the other concerning but less click-worthy aspects of this law. Like, for example, that abortion for fetal defect is now illegal. Also, that this legislation is a run-around for ending research using fetal tissue. If you, too, have read the legislation carefully and disagree with my assessment, let's parse through the wording and figure it out.

Last edited by randomparent; 04-12-2016 at 02:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 01:11 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I kid you not! These are the laws Republicans are busy passing!

Indiana crammed as many anti-abortion bills as it could into this horrifying new law - Vox

And the GOP moves further into the embrace of ignorant religious right.

Old 04-12-2016, 01:23 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I kid you not! These are the laws Republicans are busy passing!

Indiana crammed as many anti-abortion bills as it could into this horrifying new law - Vox
And these are the kinds of laws the Democrats are busy trying to pass....

New Law Allows Transgender Students To Choose Bathrooms And Sports Teams : NPR

Both sides have gone bat$&!t crazy.

Old 04-12-2016, 01:28 PM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
As I read the bill, the facility is responsible for the disposition of fetal remains as has always been the case when a woman did not make other arrangements. The difference now is that the facility is legally required to separate the remains from other biomedical waste. What is considered cremation and any requirements for the facility doing the cremation is unclear. As far as I'm concerned, a hospital can put an entire week's remains in their incinerator, remove the ash to the normal disposal site, and still meet the requirements of the law. That's how poorly written this legislation is. And does this really differ from how it's usually been handled? Not really. Incineration has been replaced with the feel-good word, cremation, but the process isn't all that different.

As for who pays, the mother or couple pays if they choose to claim the body for private disposition. When I terminated my pregnancy, my husband and I made arrangements for cremation through our chosen funeral home, and, as would be expected, we paid for the privilege of doing so. I certainly would not have expected the hospital to pick up the tab.

What I see happening as a result of this bill is that women who experience a D&C, where there is no intact fetal body, will allow the provider to dispose of the remains in their usual and customary manner. It's possible that providers will begin charging more as a response to the law, but the idea that a mother must now make funeral arrangements for the results of a D&C or that a woman miscarrying at home must preserve the tissue and present it for cremation is hyperbole. That's not what the legislation says, but it's what is being trotted out to serve the interests of the pro-choice movement.

Now, again, I am unequivocally pro-choice -- I want to be clear about that -- but what is being promoted on Twitter, Facebook, and other forms of social media outrage machine is not an accurate representation of the Indiana legislation, and it detracts from the other concerning but less click-worthy aspects of this law. Like, for example, that abortion for fetal defect is now illegal. Also, that this legislation is a run-around for ending research using fetal tissue. If you, too, have read the legislation carefully and disagree with my assessment, let's parse through the wording and figure itut.
I had a ruptured ectopic pregnancy at 5 or 6 weeks with severe internal bleeding. So you are telling me that all my internal bleeding would have to be saved so an embryo could be located? Send it all to the Lab to find the embryo? Besides all the cost this would entail, just imagine trauma to the woman? We have located your embryo, what do you want to do with it? Personally, I would have said don't bother just incinerate ALL my medical waste. I had a 3 year old daughter at the time. How in the world can anyone compare a toddler with a dead embryo? Call me a BAD MOTHER for my views. My living, breathing child meant far more to me. I have read this before. "Why do women care MORE about their living children than their unborn children?" If you even have to ask that question, you should not be a Mother, or a Father.

Old 04-12-2016, 01:28 PM

Can we stick to the subject, please?

Old 04-12-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I had a ruptured ectopic pregnancy at 5 or 6 weeks with severe internal bleeding. So you are telling me that all my internal bleeding would have to be saved so an embryo could be located? Send it all to the Lab to find the embryo? Besides all the cost this would entail, just imagine trauma to the woman? We have located your embryo, what do you want to do with it? Personally, I would have said don't bother just incinerate ALL my medical waste. I had a 3 year old daughter at the time. How in the world can anyone compare a toddler with a dead embryo? Call me a BAD MOTHER for this.
I'm not telling you anything other than how I interpret the legislation based on my own careful reading. I suggest you read it for yourself. I'm not interested in feeding the outrage machine. As far as I'm concerned, Indiana has made an incredible boondoggle with this law, and, ultimately, I think it will be challenged. Think about that when you go to the polls this November, because who you elect will likely seat the next Supreme Court Justice.

Old 04-12-2016, 01:38 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,992,465 times
I think medical waste is normally incinerated.

Old 04-12-2016, 01:44 PM

Anencephaly – A Dangerous Neural Tube Defect With Fetus Having No Brain

Cannot abort for this either? There is no longer ANY "incompatable with life" fetal deformities?

Old 04-12-2016, 01:53 PM

It is, but the law requires that fetal remains, specifically, are separated from other forms of medical waste for cremation, which is just a nice way of saying incineration. Women also have the right to claim fetal remains and make different arrangements. When I had a late-term abortion for fetal defect in the '90s, my husband and I did this, and it was not difficult. We paid a funeral home for private cremation. Had we not done so, the remains would have been incinerated as was usual and customary for the medical facility.

This new law has a lot of problems, but I still think people are getting wrapped around the axle about the wrong things. Women will not be forced to save the tissue from an early miscarriage and present it for burial. That's ridiculous and not what this legislation is about. Rather, the law is in large part a response to the Planned Parenthood baby parts drama from last year and a way for Indiana to stop fetal tissue research.

Jo, anencephaly, as a condition that usually leads to death shortly after birth, would be allowed. Please read the bill. It's all of 26 pages, and the issues will become much clearer if you do so. I encourage everyone to do the same, so we can have a better discussion, because VOX is not a particularly good source of information.

Last edited by randomparent; 04-12-2016 at 02:06 PM..

Old 04-12-2016, 04:25 PM

I believe that just as an adult can choose to donate their own body parts for donation or research, it should be the decision of the parent/s to do the same with their own children; be they IVF fertilized eggs, miscarriages, abortions, or after birth children.

Let individuals decide this, not Legislators.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies