Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 06:39 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
In better times, a sitting Supreme Court justice would be impeached
for saying this.
A person on the court, exercising her first amendment rights, could not be impeached for her comments as they are not of either of legal or ethical misconduct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 06:57 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,114,988 times
Oh you right wingers, just win the election and you can teach the chubby Hispanic Justice a lesson.

Unless the Democrats in the Senate blocks every nominee as a little payback for what's happening now. "What, 3.5 years before the term is over? That's practically a lame duck. Let's have the next President nominate!!!!!! Let the people speak!!!!!" Dumb.

Mick

Old 04-10-2016, 06:59 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,328,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
So Harvard and Yale don't admit a diverse selection of students?
No, they're not diverse at all. There are predominantly two types of students at Harvard/Yale Law. Rich kids who are legacy admits and affirmative action disciples. A hard working, middle class, white, stellar student has almost no chance in Hell of getting in.

But that's not the point. Harvard and Yale don't even give grades. Their students are on a pass/fail system. They get jobs on Wall Street and in big firms, regardless of how poorly they did in law school. And, as I said, many of them get into law school because of family connections and money. Some of the dumbest lawyers I know went to Harvard. I know a Yale Law Review editor who took the bar in CO 5 times before she finally passed.

There are wonderfully talented attorneys and judges who went to state schools and they never get the opportunity to join the Court. It's a disservice to all Americans to keep appointing an incestuous pool of applicants from only two schools.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:00 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,114,988 times
Quote:
for saying this.
Huh? The only time the House impeached a SCOTUS Justice was 110 years ago, and no Justice has EVER been convicted by the Senate. So what "better times"?

Mick

Old 04-10-2016, 07:32 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,756,889 times
For once Sotomayor has framed "diversity" in a way that is in the interests of founding stock Americans, a kind of "only Nixon could go to China" statement. And descendants of the Protestant settlers whose back she has in this instance come on here and act all offended on behalf of the Jews and Catholics??

Old 04-10-2016, 11:02 PM

50,798 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaj7 View Post
Justice used to be blind, now it has "empathy".
I hate to tell you this, but justice has rarely been blind.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:06 PM

Quote:
for saying this.
I guess there were almost never "better times", since it only happened once in American history, and the justice stayed on the bench.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I don't see the problem, sorry.

Last time I heard; Tiger Woods, who is Asian AND Black, was the top golfer in the US. Mr Woods did it by stepping up to the plate and taking care of business.

Olympics: that ain't just a "white" thing, even Mexico has Olympic athletics and, I'm guessing they're "Mexican". Hell; word is some of "white" Europe's best athletes are "Black" people who got Danish and so on citizenship so they COULD compete.
I guess you aren't up to date much. Tiger Woods is now #475.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:17 AM

729 posts, read 429,336 times
Supreme Court needs more constitutionalists, not democrats who only use the constitution to allow the USA to be invaded and exploited.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:35 AM

20,329 posts, read 19,921,823 times
Quote:
Sotomayor: Supreme Court needs more diversity

I say go all out and get a wheelchair-bound, transgendered, Asian, lesbian.

That's better than a diversity trifecta!!!!!!

If they can't find one with legal experience, get one, send he/she/it to some overseas law school then sign 'em up, baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies