Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 02:33 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
I also have family who fought in WWII, but that doesn't stop me from
deploring the unnecessary and loathsome war crimes of the United States,
which certainly include dropping nuclear bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
Are you forgetting that Japan was the aggressor?They bombed us on a Sunday , Pearl Harbor is not to be forgotten and the Japanese had every intention on killing as many Americans as possible..

If they were stupid enough to wake up the sleeping giant they found out the consequences, they were warned the bombs were coming and their leader would not surrender.

Americans had lost many lives fighting the Japanese. We did not want war but we were attacked.

Americans were sent to fight and they are honorable to do so. We have been fortunate that wars have not been fought on our own land . One day we will be attacked with nuclear weapons and it will not be pretty. It is not IF it is coming, it is when.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 02:36 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Still on about Reverend Wright? What has Obama done in the past 7 and half years that shows he supports the reverend's radical views?
His actions and his words tell me he is very radical but cleans it up for the lefties to accept it.

Old 04-10-2016, 03:01 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,465,032 times
The A-bomb was just one reason Japan surrendered. Japan had hoped to negotiate a truce with the Allies with Russia as mediator but Stalin had a deal with the US & UK to invade Japan within 3 months of German surrendering. Russia's Operation August Storm against Japan launched the same day the Nagasaki bomb dropped - Manchuria was attacked and some northern Japanese Islands were taken. Some argue this was a bigger factor in Japan's surrender - no hope left for a truce and they'd rather be under US occupation than Soviet. Dropping the bomb also favored US as it shortened the war and preempted a Soviet invasion & occupation.

Old 04-10-2016, 03:17 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I just can't describe the disgust I have for our President.
Not true. You complain about him in post after post and you've done a bang-up job of expressing your displeasure. I'm sure even the casual reader knows your feelings about the President. You are that good. One of the best on CD at making sure everyone knows your feelings about our President. Who was elected to not one, but two terms despite your unhappiness. Poor you. Your fellow Americans didn't do what you wanted. Which probably also disgusts you.

Too bad for you he will be retiring in January and you won't be able to complain as much. You'll have to find a new hobby.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 04-10-2016 at 03:30 PM..

Old 04-10-2016, 03:17 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,134,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Are you forgetting that Japan was the aggressor?They bombed us on a Sunday , Pearl Harbor is not to be forgotten and the Japanese had every intention on killing as many Americans as possible..

If they were stupid enough to wake up the sleeping giant they found out the consequences, they were warned the bombs were coming and their leader would not surrender.

Americans had lost many lives fighting the Japanese. We did not want war but we were attacked.

Americans were sent to fight and they are honorable to do so. We have been fortunate that wars have not been fought on our own land . One day we will be attacked with nuclear weapons and it will not be pretty. It is not IF it is coming, it is when.
I think he feels that way because the overwhelming casualties in Hiroshima were mostly women, children, and the elderly mostly because a significant number of young men were in the military away from cities like Hiroshima. To a lot of people, attacking those targets is very dishonorable even if it lets you win a war. Even if Japan was the aggressor, very few American civilians were killed in the Pacific War and the vast majority of victims of Japan were Asians, a race that Americans at that time loathed.

Old 04-10-2016, 03:23 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Oh Boy, Obama to visit Hiroshima?
I'll try to make up some fake outrage as I drive to the sushi restaurant in my Toyota.

[shrug]

Old 04-10-2016, 03:26 PM

45,390 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Special Exhibition?Hiroshima, 1945 ?A-bomb Damage Revealed in Photographs?/Hiroshima before the Bombing

The whole point of strategic bombing, as practiced by both sides, was to target military and civilian assets (both cities had both) with the aim of demoralizing the populace enough so that they would agitate for an end to the war.

Later research after the war discovered that it didn't really work.

Old 04-10-2016, 04:39 PM

27,143 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
His focus has been on non-proliferation, he just came from an international meeting, highlighting the destruction of Hiroshima plays into that. Some GOP politicians have been tossing around ridiculous rhetoric regarding nuclear retaliation, they need to take a step back. Remembrance of the innocent people killed and the entire destruction of 2 cities by a president, long overdue.

It's a visit to highlight the impact but some people are going to read this as an insult to soldiers who died in WW2, one has nothing to do with the other.

Remembrance of the deaths of innocent people and the total destruction of two cities by an American president, long overdue.

Major industrial targets during a World War rather.

Old 04-10-2016, 05:29 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
There were old, young women and children killed in both those cities, this is not a discussion of the practicality or the decision. Always strange how some in the US view the loss of lives of innocent people in other countries las insignificant compared to our own.
actually it IS about the practicality of the decision to use the bombs. lets say that instead of using the bombs, truman decided to invade, and we had the huge number of casualties on both sides, and trust me, there would have been civilians of all ages killed in such an invasion because the japanese were determined to kill as many americans as possible( sound familiar?). and that means civilians would have taken up arms in the defense of the japanese homeland, as they did in okinawa.

i suspect the amount of casualties would have numbered in the tens of millions before all was said and done. given that, and given the knowledge that we had a weapon that would have ended the war and only sacrifice a couple hundred thousand people, what would you have said then? remember the casualty rates in germany? if we had the bomb earlier, we could possibly have ended the european war before millions died needless deaths.

Old 04-10-2016, 05:31 PM

50,818 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

Like it or not, Dropping the bombs is justified in my opinion. Civilian casualty is an unavoidable part of war. If Japan started the war, then she should suffer from the consequences of it. If Japanese wanted to blame, blame their THEN government seems more productive. ...
It isn't that I totally disagree, but a bit ISIS' thinking is along those lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies