Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 10:58 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,539,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
As a senior network architect in a Fortune 500 company whose products you've used, allow me to tell you that you're living in a fool's paradise. The US advantage is built on those who have decades' experience, and we stopped providing entry level jobs for junior people 10-15 years ago. The next wave of people with seniority and experience will come out of Bangalore.
Absolutely true. I just retired from an IT job. My team of 15 went from having 1 Indian 2 years ago to 8 when I left. They used to get hired as contractors, now they're full-time employees.

The tidal wave has just started ramping up.

Americans won't be able to keep or find jobs in IT within 5 to 7 years.

But keep voting for globalists.

Old 04-13-2016, 02:08 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,652,271 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
OK, let's bring back all those lost manufacturing jobs.

Who is going to fill them?
I work at a chain grocery store. I work with lots of younger people who would love a high paying manufacturing job. I also see people come in every day filling out applications (and they will not be offered a job because all jobs in the store are filled) and those applicants would love a high paying job.

Quote:
All we here from liberals, like yourself, Obama, etc., is constantly raving about how "every kid should go to college"
They should say "every kid should try college." Fact is not everyone graduates from college for various reasons, and many who don't would love high paying manufacturing jobs.

Quote:
Parents of ALL stripes push their kids to go to college whether their kid prepared or not.

When I gt out of high school about 10% of high school grads went to college.

Today. I'd guess about 70% go to college.

Does anyone think all those college grads are going to take a "manufacturing" job making some sort of product.

Or be on an assembly line?
I know people and hear of lots of people who have college degrees but they can't find jobs in the field of their degree. So they work in retail stores, ex,ex, And once again those people would love a high paying manufacturing job.

Quote:
I know many people who own electrical, plumbing, HVAC and other construction trade companies.

They CAN'T FIND DECENT WORKERS.
I know dentists who can't find decent workers, I also know lawn care company owners, A/C Heating company owners who can't find decent workers. Not being able to find decent workers is part of owning a business.

Quote:
High school grads go to college.

Many of those C and d students that DON'T go to college are worthless.
Give them a job making $8.50 per hour for 3 years, then offer them a $15 dollar per hour manufacturing job. Many of them would take the $15 per hour and be good workers.

Old 04-13-2016, 02:26 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,652,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The more of the jobs you ship out, the more vulnerable you are by not being able to produce what you need.
I watched a Netflix documentary called "Death by China." It explained how US military aircraft all use certain electronic parts that are only made in China. Our military aircraft can't fly without Chinese made parts (hopefully the Chinese will not stop selling us things we need.)

And perhaps in time if America continues to not make the goods we need, we will become so accustomed to not making our own goods (that we would have HUGE problems in the future recreating the manufacturing base to make our goods.)

And the Chinese government is smarter in business, sharper, more ruthless, and more in touch than our government. They manipulate currency values, dump products on the US market, hack our computers, have military exercises for America. ex.ex.

10-20 years from now (if China wanted to hit a blow to America) China could stop selling us certain needed goods.

Last edited by chad3; 04-13-2016 at 02:35 PM..

Old 04-14-2016, 12:43 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,432,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
OK, let's bring back all those lost manufacturing jobs.

Who is going to fill them?

All we here from liberals, like yourself, Obama, etc., is constantly raving about how "every kid should go to college"

Parents of ALL stripes push their kids to go to college whether their kid prepared or not.

When I gt out of high school about 10% of high school grads went to college.

Today. I'd guess about 70% go to college.

Does anyone think all those college grads are going to take a "manufacturing" job making some sort of product.

Or be on an assembly line?

I know many people who own electrical, plumbing, HVAC and other construction trade companies.

They CAN'T FIND DECENT WORKERS.

High school grads go to college.

Many of those C and d students that DON'T go to college are worthless.

So, how are you going to convince the high school grad of tomorrow to work on an assembly line or be an electrician, etc., instead of going to college?

How are yo going to convince the new college grad to work on the assembly line, be an electrician, etc.?
It's very simple.

Already, tons of college kids aren't getting jobs based on their degrees.

Mommy and Daddy should kick them to the curb, they shouldn't be given welfare, and then they will happily take any job and work hard because they will know that the alternative is living in the streets.

We've created a society in which people can't even take care of their own basic needs.

Maybe they should be made to study the animals, who are able to take care of themselves even though they are supposedly less intelligent.

Old 04-14-2016, 12:44 AM

5,443 posts, read 4,675,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diallomacedo View Post
We don't need it. We're more of a service economy now not a factory led economy, and to be frank we don't need any more factories. If other country's laborers can assemble light fixtures assembly at a more efficient pace than the next country because of their comparative advantage, and we can produce financial analyst laborers very fast at a more effecient rate, than the previous country mention, because of our comparative advantage, then why are we having the conversation of keeping skilled blue collar jobs, ie. automobile parts facotry worker, in the united states? These jobs are becoming obsolete in our US economy and it's a good thing.
Wrong, we need all types of jobs. And as long as they exist, it should be in America.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:05 AM

35,680 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
It's very simple.

Already, tons of college kids aren't getting jobs based on their degrees.

Mommy and Daddy should kick them to the curb, they shouldn't be given welfare, and then they will happily take any job and work hard because they will know that the alternative is living in the streets.

We've created a society in which people can't even take care of their own basic needs.

Maybe they should be made to study the animals, who are able to take care of themselves even though they are supposedly less intelligent.
or become a parent and see how real life looks like for the next generation? so much is easier said than DONE- I think we have sold the store- and I have been harping on that for a long time- we sell our companies -our jobs- our property- our products - all being owned by non citizens - then you cry about illegals

Old 04-14-2016, 06:41 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
This is true, however, are we going to have another wwII, do we need this large of a manufacturing base on reserve?

Self sufficient is a stronger person or country, than those always relying on someone else.

Old 04-15-2016, 05:27 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,432,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
or become a parent and see how real life looks like for the next generation? so much is easier said than DONE- I think we have sold the store- and I have been harping on that for a long time- we sell our companies -our jobs- our property- our products - all being owned by non citizens - then you cry about illegals
Why should illegals get a pass?

Old 04-19-2016, 07:27 AM

371 posts, read 425,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
As a senior network architect in a Fortune 500 company whose products you've used, allow me to tell you that you're living in a fool's paradise. The US advantage is built on those who have decades' experience, and we stopped providing entry level jobs for junior people 10-15 years ago. The next wave of people with seniority and experience will come out of Bangalore.

Say what? No, seriously, what?
Americans know entry level jobs are no longer a thing, that's why they go straight into masters programs now. Lol, the new thing is taking out moutains of debt, repaying them on income-based plans, and getting a super high degree so you can skip entry level, or have internships be your entry level. Come out masters making 55-65, then in 2 years 80-90. That's the way it should be. Whoever is working entry level and going back to masters in 8 years is economically smart, but may get left behind. Talent in bangelore is giving us a run for our money, I will not lie.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:50 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Americans know entry level jobs are no longer a thing, that's why they go straight into masters programs now.
People with a Master's are still only starting out in their profession. University isn't real life.

Quote:
Lol, the new thing is taking out moutains of debt, repaying them on income-based plans, and getting a super high degree so you can skip entry level, or have internships be your entry level.
There's no skipping entry level. Ask anyone in a technical field how well that works out. Law firms, too - new associates, for all of their degrees, get the worst work and the longest hours and attrition is high. Can't speak to banking or finance, never interested me, but I'm not impressed with the outcomes lately.

Quote:
Come out masters making 55-65, then in 2 years 80-90. That's the way it should be. Whoever is working entry level and going back to masters in 8 years is economically smart, but may get left behind.
There are way more people with freshly-printed Master's degrees than there are 55-65K jobs open for greenhorns. You seem to be falling into the trap of thinking - if I may be a bit glib - that if everyone got a Harvard MBA, we could all become C-level execs. Problem, is, the number of C-level exec slots isn't kept artificially low due to a lack of Harvard MBAs, it's dictated by the business requirements.

Not that it has much, if anything, to do with blue-collar labor. Except for the fact that a skilled machinist - one at the top of his profession, who knows his tools and his materials and his processes to the nth degree (that's a ton of book learning, too, btw.) - is much more of an asset than the guy who got his C in accounting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies