Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2016, 02:39 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,219,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
There's no need for the personal attacks. You can disagree, you can be wrong, I can be wrong, but you don't have to choose be a dick.

"Do I need to type slower so you comprehend?" - mikeyyc

And Yes, you are wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 02:41 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,330,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
No. The bakers in Oregon, for example, refused to bake a cake for a gay wedding because they had a religious objection to gay marriage... NOT GAY PEOPLE... gay marriage. In fact they had provided other services to that same gay couple in the past with no objections at all. But they had an religious objection to making a contribution to this kind of an event.

You really have no idea what you're talking about.

I do tire of educating The Slow.

Wow. Talk about a mealy mouthed distinction that absolutely would never hold up in court.

"Sorry mister white man. I can't bake a cake for your wedding to that black woman. I am not discriminating on account of race, I just object religiously to interracial marriages. Tower of Babel, curse of Ham, etc. But I will absolutely sell you and your fiance a dozen cookies so long as you pinky swear that you won't serve them at your immoral marriage celebration."

Give. Me. A. Break.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:46 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,495,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Wow. Talk about a mealy mouthed distinction that absolutely would never hold up in court.

"Sorry mister white man. I can't bake a cake for your wedding to that black woman. I am not discriminating on account of race, I just object religiously to interracial marriages. Tower of Babel, curse of Ham, etc. But I will absolutely sell you and your fiance a dozen cookies so long as you pinky swear that you won't serve them at your immoral marriage celebration."

Give. Me. A. Break.
Can the baker be forced to bake a cake for polygamy wedding?

Old 04-12-2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Can the baker be forced to bake a cake for polygamy wedding?
I would say no.

Gay people can't get any other kind of marriage other than a gay one. (Well, I mean they CAN but that usually doesn't end well for the opposite sex partner).

Polygamists can be gay or straight, or anything in-between. At that point the underlying objection has nothing to do with an innate characteristic of the marriage participants. Still nonsensical to reject the business, however, given that polygamist marriage, incestuous relations, etc. are all certified Bible-approved.

I think the real question is: Why does one think providing a service to a wedding or an event is engaging in sin? The sin (if you believe in the concept, which I do not) are the people actually entering into the marriage contract. Not the people throwing a party.

Another problem with all these religious conscientious objectors is that they are absolute cherry picking hypocrites usually. The most famous one agreed to bake cakes for all sorts of biblically prohibited things, like a cake for a divorce party, and drew the line at gay marriage?

And I think that's the thing. If you're going to want to start relying on your religious beliefs eventually someone is going to challenge your beliefs. Why open yourself up to that?

Old 04-12-2016, 02:52 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,144,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Yes. Accepting the fact that not everyone is going to agree with everything you do in life is quite freeing.
And they can agree or disagree I don't care. The ACTION of denying service is the issue.

Quote:
The free exercise of one's beliefs, however, as distinguished from the absolute right to a belief, is subject to regulation when religious acts require accommodation to society.

Undoubtedly defendant * has a constitutional right to espouse the religious beliefs of his own choosing, however, he does not have the absolute right to exercise and practice such beliefs in utter disregard of the clear constitutional rights of other citizens.
NEWMAN v. PIGGIE PARK ENTERPRISES, INC. | Leagle.com.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:58 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,354,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
A wedding care is a big part of the celebration. Some would feel they are endorsing/accepting/approving of a gay marriage were they to support the event by baking wedding cake.

They contribute to the celebration!

Do you not understand that?
??? ??? Contribute?? Wouldn't the baker sell their products in a "Commercial Transaction" which is bought and paid for by customer?? That term in no way applies to conducting a business transaction..IF it was a contribution , they would be able to use it as a tax deduction ..or a write-off of some sort since the donated their precious handmade luscious product.

Maybe all business' can view their sales as a contribution to their household ..for the drapes, coffee table, appliances, bedroom set ( oh my/clutching pearls) if the salesperson found out it was for a Gay Couples home

I did hear somewhere that Gov. McCory has passed some executive orders in his recently sign bill HB2 ..due to backlash by the "BIG MONEY" folks withdrawing from his great State..Guess $$ talks louder than those who hate LBGT rights. Oh, yeah..Didn't SCOTUS already rule on the rights of LBGT ??? Maybe just a figment of my imagination

Old 04-12-2016, 03:01 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,495,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I would say no.

Gay people can't get any other kind of marriage other than a gay one. (Well, I mean they CAN but that usually doesn't end well for the opposite sex partner).

Polygamists can be gay or straight, or anything in-between. At that point the underlying objection has nothing to do with an innate characteristic of the marriage participants. Still nonsensical to reject the business, however, given that polygamist marriage, incestuous relations, etc. are all certified Bible-approved.

I think the real question is: Why does one think providing a service to a wedding or an event is engaging in sin? The sin (if you believe in the concept, which I do not) are the people actually entering into the marriage contract. Not the people throwing a party.

Another problem with all these religious conscientious objectors is that they are absolute cherry picking hypocrites usually. The most famous one agreed to bake cakes for all sorts of biblically prohibited things, like a cake for a divorce party, and drew the line at gay marriage?

And I think that's the thing. If you're going to want to start relying on your religious beliefs eventually someone is going to challenge your beliefs. Why open yourself up to that?
Sorry, what's the reason that we shouldn't force bakers to bake cakes for polygamy weddings?

Old 04-12-2016, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Sorry, what's the reason that we shouldn't force bakers to bake cakes for polygamy weddings?
Already answered:

Old 04-12-2016, 03:04 PM

29,390 posts, read 9,570,247 times
Let them eat cake!

Old 04-12-2016, 03:30 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,375,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
That is a very un-American mentality.

My business is MY business, not the public's.

Just like they can choose who to patronize, we used to be able to choose who to serve.

It's called freedom of assembly and association.

The only case I would support a ban on discrimination in private business
is in life-threatening matters such as security or health.
You miss the "good old days", huh? Most right-wingers do:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies