Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 09:46 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,036,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Of course they wouldn't be ok with it. They talk a big game because they can't even fathom being denied service for something. Why? Because it's never come up before, ever in their lives. White? Hetero? Christian? They've got it made in this country, they've slid through life, piece of cake. "That business would discriminate against ME? Whatever FOR?" The thought has literally NEVER crossed their minds because it hasn't had to. In reality, if some straight white couple was denied service, the s*it would hit the fan. First, the bewilderment, then the reality sets in. And that's when it all goes to crap. So yeah, when those people claim "I'd just take my business elsewhere, no big deal", that's a load of BS & we all know it.
But in reality, how many businesses are going to discriminate? And if you're gay, muslim, Jewish, black or whatever and someone doesn't want to do business with you, there are plenty of businesses lined up behind them that will take your money.

Besides, do you really want a service from someone who was 'forced' to provide it? Do you really think you're going to get the best cake/dress, whatever? Why not just speak with your wallet instead of raising such a fuss over a few businesses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 09:47 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Ya, try entering a bakery with a legally owned weapon on your hip if you want to see intolerance.
Open carry is perfectly legal in my state and I have seen people carrying in all kinds of stores. Not once have I seen someone denied service for carrying.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:47 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
If you say so. Funny how you try to "get me" on polygamy & then when it's revealed that I have no problem with it, you need to twist it into something else. You have fun with that!
I didn't try to get "you" specifically - note I said "gay supporters," plural, not singular. I merely asked a fundamental question.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:48 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
But in reality, how many businesses are going to discriminate? And if you're gay, muslim, Jewish, black or whatever and someone doesn't want to do business with you, there are plenty of businesses lined up behind them that will take your money.

Besides, do you really want a service from someone who was 'forced' to provide it? Do you really think you're going to get the best cake/dress, whatever? Why not just speak with your wallet instead of raising such a fuss over a few businesses?
Like I said, some people can't even fathom it which is why they respond the way they do.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:49 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Open carry is perfectly legal in my state and I have seen people carrying in all kinds of stores. Not once have I seen someone denied service for carrying.
Open carry is legal in my state too and plenty businesses openly discriminate!

Old 04-11-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Nobody should be allowed to disagree with the liberals!!! I am not sure how much more clear I can make it.

For those dissidents, if we can't punish them by laws, we shall pass a new law to punish them or just drawn them with our overwhelming liberal public lynching including but not limited to, death threats, public violent protests, arson, boycott, horrific reviews on every public venue, public shaming, nude protests, shouting, Occupy Movement, public condemnation from all the Hollywood actresses!
Have fun responding to what you want my post to say vs what it actually said.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:

Great, then allow across the board refusal of any services BUT require the business to post notice on it's door who they will not serve. That way I don't patronize an establishment that will refuse service for something they sell.
I would be perfectly fine with this. But for some reason every time the notification part was added to laws that allowed discrimination people went nuts. If you have such strong beliefs that you would refuse service to someone own it, and proudly post it.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:59 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
I'm fairly neutral on my position when it comes to gay/straight issues. However, why is it that those who scream 'tolerance' aren't willing to be tolerant of others' view if they are different?

If someone doesn't want to bake a cake for a gay wedding for whatever reason, is that being intolerant? Yes. But, for those people that are going to give said bakery a hard time for their decision, isn't that also being intolerant?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
we're talking about human rights here. not some random inanimate object.

no one is saying you have to open up your home to gays. all they want is to be treated like human beings. is that too much to ask for?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
what if those same loud people refused service to heterosexuals and were able to pass laws to back them?

closed minded people always think they're allowed to hate with impunity and hide behind religion or free speech while doing so.

all they want is to be treated like ANYBODY ELSE. got that?
tolerance is supposed to be a two way street. i tolerate gay marriage, even though i am opposed to it, and wont support it. does that mean i hate gays? no it doesnt, but in the intolerant minds of those that oppose my views it means i hate anyone who is not me.

treating a person like a human being is great, i am all for it. but remember that they also have to treat me like a human being. come to me, as a baker, and ask me to create a wedding cake for a gay wedding, something i oppose and will not support, and i will turn you down for that particular transaction. if you want birthday cakes, cupcakes, etc. i am all for selling you these items, just not a gay wedding cake. if you want to prove that you are also a tolerant human being that recognizes other peoples human rights, then you will move on to another baker that will provide gay wedding cakes, instead of suing me, and threatening me with bodily harm etc.

asi said, tolerance is a two way street, you tolerate my views, i tolerate yours. we dont have to agree, we just have to recognize that a persons views are theirs, and we need to accept that. we cannot force our views onto others.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:12 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
I remember when the baker in Colorado refused to make a wedding cake for a gay couple's wedding. The baker said that the act of providing the wedding cake makes him a part of the celebration and since he was opposed to gay marriage due to his religion, he felt it was wrong for him to participate in the wedding as the baker of the wedding cake.

I believe that the baker has the right to refuse based on his religious beliefs. The couple can find a plethora of other bakers to bake the cake for their special day, one that will be made with love. Instead it became a huge ordeal with protestors outside of the bakery, a lawsuit, etc.

If the couple expects the baker to practice tolerance towards gay marriage by providing wedding cakes then the couple should practice tolerance towards this man's religious beliefs and find a baker who would be happy to make the cake. That's what tolerance is. It's supposed to be a two way street.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
tolerance is supposed to be a two way street. i tolerate gay marriage, even though i am opposed to it, and wont support it. does that mean i hate gays? no it doesnt, but in the intolerant minds of those that oppose my views it means i hate anyone who is not me.

treating a person like a human being is great, i am all for it. but remember that they also have to treat me like a human being. come to me, as a baker, and ask me to create a wedding cake for a gay wedding, something i oppose and will not support, and i will turn you down for that particular transaction. if you want birthday cakes, cupcakes, etc. i am all for selling you these items, just not a gay wedding cake. if you want to prove that you are also a tolerant human being that recognizes other peoples human rights, then you will move on to another baker that will provide gay wedding cakes, instead of suing me, and threatening me with bodily harm etc.

asi said, tolerance is a two way street, you tolerate my views, i tolerate yours. we dont have to agree, we just have to recognize that a persons views are theirs, and we need to accept that. we cannot force our views onto others.
tolerance is supposed to be a two way street. i tolerate interracial marriage, even though i am opposed to it, and wont support it. does that mean i hate interracial couples? no it doesnt, but in the intolerant minds of those that oppose my views it means i hate anyone who is not me.

treating a person like a human being is great, i am all for it. but remember that they also have to treat me like a human being. come to me, as a baker, and ask me to create a wedding cake for a interracial wedding, something i oppose and will not support, and i will turn you down for that particular transaction. if you want birthday cakes, cupcakes, etc. i am all for selling you these items, just not a interracial wedding cake. if you want to prove that you are also a tolerant human being that recognizes other peoples human rights, then you will move on to another baker that will provide interracial wedding cakes, instead of suing me, and threatening me with bodily harm etc.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies