Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 09:09 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
We allow Russia to do as it pleases, we just sit back and Vladimir Putin and other bullies see this as a sign of weakness. Now I am NOT advocating for war and I do like President Barack Obama, but honestly we have allowed this.
What has Russia done this century that it didn't do last century?

Old 04-15-2016, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
Well what can i say??

It feels like a slow decline of ours.

Take a look.

Pentagon to Congress: We Need Base Closures

Bases are gonna be closed.

It seems everything Donald says is already happening.

The DoD has been closing bases since the 70s.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:08 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,391,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
I'm guessing 500 feet, which was my minimum altitude at the time. I was a punk 1st lieutenant on his first-ever deployment. Close enough to see the white star inside the red naval jack and the red star and sickle above the blue bar on the Soviet ensign, and the sailors waving (or whatever they were doing.) The Turkish T-33 we were with was very low. Lower than the SU-24s in the recent video.
I was under the impression that we uhmm..... did not do that. I guess we cant complain too much about the buzzings, but that Russian plane seemed way too close, even by buzzing standards. Did the Soviets ever buzz our carriers? Though if the carriers were in mid ocean, I guess they could only do "baby buzzes" as their cold war Forgers were not high performance.

Old 04-16-2016, 02:31 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,626,404 times
They're playing a dangerous game....

Old 04-16-2016, 06:31 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Rest assured they burned a LOT of fuel! (as they laughed in our faces) Our commander in chief is a joke.
Like when a Chinese fighter rammed an American aircraft in international airspace, seriously damaging it? Then China refused to clear that aircraft for an emergency landing. Then, when it did land, it interred the crew and and dismantled the aircraft in order to gain whatever secrets there were to be hand. And what did Obama do? Nothing!

Of course, since he was in the Illinois legislature at the time, there wasn't much he could do in any case. Do you remember what President Bush did? He sent a letter to China apologizing for the incident (despite the fact that China, not the U.S., was clearly at fault) and asking pretty-please for out plane and crew to be returned.

Or when a Soviet fighter shot down a civilian airline flying a U.S.-Korea route, killing over 200 people, including 62 Americans - one of them a sitting member of Congress (Larry McDonald - R, Georgia)? And what did Obama do? Nothing!

Of course, he was in college at the time. Do you remember what President Reagan did? Lots of rhetoric. Also, Aeroflot landing rights in the U.S. were suspended. Not much else.

Now, this is not to attack either President Bush or President Reagan. There was not much they could, in fact, do. It's just to illustrate that you live in a fantasy world when you blather on about how President Obama is somehow lacking in American-Russian (or Chinese) relations, or in dealing with military posturing with adversaries. Both of the incidents I cited are vastly more egregious than simply buzzing a warship. Yet you've managed to delude yourself into thinking that the killing of 62 American travelers is no comment on the President at the time, while an unarmed flyby of a warship is only possible because of who sits in the Oval Office.

Stop embarrassing yourself.

Old 04-16-2016, 06:38 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,526,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
We allow Russia to do as it pleases, we just sit back and Vladimir Putin and other bullies see this as a sign of weakness. Now I am NOT advocating for war and I do like President Barack Obama, but honestly we have allowed this.
Just what are we allowing? "Letting" Putin fly a 40 year old jet fly by a 20 year old warship? In the video, our guys didn't look too intimidated. Now, if one of their stealth aircraft was on top of the Cook before they knew what was going on......... we probably wouldn't hear about it, and it certainly wouldn't be all over the internet.

Old 04-16-2016, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Like when a Chinese fighter rammed an American aircraft in international airspace, seriously damaging it? Then China refused to clear that aircraft for an emergency landing. Then, when it did land, it interred the crew and and dismantled the aircraft in order to gain whatever secrets there were to be hand. And what did Obama do? Nothing!

Of course, since he was in the Illinois legislature at the time, there wasn't much he could do in any case. Do you remember what President Bush did? He sent a letter to China apologizing for the incident (despite the fact that China, not the U.S., was clearly at fault) and asking pretty-please for out plane and crew to be returned.

Or when a Soviet fighter shot down a civilian airline flying a U.S.-Korea route, killing over 200 people, including 62 Americans - one of them a sitting member of Congress (Larry McDonald - R, Georgia)? And what did Obama do? Nothing!

Of course, he was in college at the time. Do you remember what President Reagan did? Lots of rhetoric. Also, Aeroflot landing rights in the U.S. were suspended. Not much else.

Now, this is not to attack either President Bush or President Reagan. There was not much they could, in fact, do. It's just to illustrate that you live in a fantasy world when you blather on about how President Obama is somehow lacking in American-Russian (or Chinese) relations, or in dealing with military posturing with adversaries. Both of the incidents I cited are vastly more egregious than simply buzzing a warship. Yet you've managed to delude yourself into thinking that the killing of 62 American travelers is no comment on the President at the time, while an unarmed flyby of a warship is only possible because of who sits in the Oval Office.

Repeated for emphasis.

Presidents don't do obviously stupid stuff like silly children on a playground.

Old 04-16-2016, 08:02 AM

24,295 posts, read 13,141,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post

Well said, thank you. Sadly, these threads usually degenerate into a partisan political b!itch-session in which petty politics usurp rational thought.

I wonder what General Secretary Yuri Andropov did when 4 fighters from the 74th Tactical Fighter Squadron and a Turkish T-33 "buzzed" one of his Kresta II's. Oh yeah, ничего (nothing).

Old 04-16-2016, 02:18 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,870,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
At least they are Russian. Iranians are sending their RC planes over our aircraft carriers and bring back video of the deck to prove it. I am not sure what all these weapons are for if we are not going to use them? The new game is to see who can push America around more and still get away with it. No winners yet.
totally agree! The Iranians know that Obama won't do a thing, they are taking liberties like never before. I never thought I'd say this, but I wish Bush were back. He'd stand up to them.

And don't get me started on them taking our ship from the gulf recently. No way did our guys stray into their waters...they were simply waiting for an opportunity to pull such a stunt, IMO. I am still angered over them humiliating our military like that.

Old 04-16-2016, 02:27 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,627,628 times
The same President Bush who wrote a letter of apology to China when they rammed one of our planes in international airspace, forced it to land, and then seized both the aircraft and the crew? Yep, I'm sure he would have known exactly how to get tough with the Iranians. Not like that whining coward Obama, who didn't even have the guts to apologize to Iran! How gutless can you get?

No wonder the whole world is spitting on America - they know damned well that our president is too scared to apologize to them for getting in their way, and they're taking full advantage of it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies