Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 09:58 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,304,511 times

Advertisements

Restrooms are for three things: 1) urinating, 2) defecating, 3) washing up. What difference does someone's sex/gender make in terms of using the restroom? As far as I can tell it doesn't.

Eliminating urinals is the only necessary change for establishing gender-neutral restrooms. Instead, all restrooms would just have enclosed toilets. Since toilets are private this would eliminate anyone possibly being offended for any reason: women wouldn't be visually exposed to men's genitals, and it eliminates the problem of which restroom transgendered persons would use.

Here in Seattle, many small businesses only have one restroom for everyone to use, and there aren't any problems with males, females, and transgendered persons using the same restroom, so why is this an issue? Someone's gender seems completely irrelevant in terms of the functions a restroom serves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 10:33 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
You can put the urinals in a stall as well, no need to eliminate them. otherwise a great solution.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
You can put the urinals in a stall as well, no need to eliminate them. otherwise a great solution.
Fair point, though urinals are limited in that they only serve function '1', while a toilet can be used for '1' and '2'. Urinals are also more messy since there tends to be more spillage.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:47 PM

21,132 posts, read 19,714,475 times
In most restrooms that I've been in, it is very easy for a voyeuristic pervert to spy on others. There are gaps in the stalls and with all the tiny cameras they make nowadays...

I'm more in favor of single-occupant bathrooms.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
In most restrooms that I've been in, it is very easy for a voyeuristic pervert to spy on others. There are gaps in the stalls and with all the tiny cameras they make nowadays...

Unfortunately single-occupant restrooms aren't practical in high-occupancy locations. Imagine how much space would be required in places like airports, transit centers, and other crowded areas; they aren't feasible.

Old 04-15-2016, 11:04 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
No, no, no. Restrooms are so Republican politicians and ministers can have anonymous sex. I thought everyone knew that.

Old 04-15-2016, 11:28 PM

3,887 posts, read 4,542,046 times
Personally I hate male/female bathrooms, they're nasty! I often have to put paper towels on the floor so I dont have to step in some slobs pee. I swear some dudes don't know how to aim or they're expressing their artistic side. Not to mention leaving the seat up and not bothering to flush! Gross! Yeah some women forget to flush too, or are untidy, but "man" gross is on a whole other level!

Old 04-15-2016, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Personally I hate male/female bathrooms, they're nasty! I often have to put paper towels on the floor so I dont have to step in some slobs pee. I swear some dudes don't know how to aim or they're expressing their artistic side. Not to mention leaving the seat up and not bothering to flush! Gross! Yeah some women forget to flush too, or are untidy, but "man" gross is on a whole other level!
The pee mess can be greatly curtailed if males sit down to urinate. While urinals consume less water, they're more messy:
If you're a true gentleman, you should pee sitting down - Telegraph

Old 04-15-2016, 11:54 PM

3,887 posts, read 4,542,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanapolicRiddle View Post
The pee mess can be greatly curtailed if males sit down to urinate. While urinals consume less water, they're more messy:
If you're a true gentleman, you should pee sitting down - Telegraph
Key word being "gentlemen". Besides try enforcing that one at the next NASCAR event or rodeo if all bathrooms were coed!

Old 04-16-2016, 12:03 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post

While we worry about this transgender bathroom issue, they have a totally different problem in India. The people in India don't have enough toilets in the country, and even when they have toilets they prefer going outside. "Over generations in India, open defecation has been the norm. Not only is it the norm, many actually prefer to defecate in the open."

Tracking India

Open Defecation in India Leads to Rape and Disease. Now, Women Are Demanding Toilets.

Can We Stop Holding Our Bladders - Can We Have Public Toilets Please!

It is so bad that they have passed laws requiring people to prove they have a toilet in order to run for political office.

Running for Office in India? You Might Need to Own a Toilet - Bloomberg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies