Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 05:33 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Sure, they live in the Dark Ages.
Of course, then they'll complain about the costs to being on high priced toll roads or having to take long senic routes around them and businesses that would screw them over or pollute their cities. Most of these are nessecary evils that we just have to live with.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:31 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times
There is no such thing as free. Someone has to pay for it and that someone is usually the tax payers.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
There is no such thing as free. Someone has to pay for it and that someone is usually the tax payers.
And under Sanders taxes will increase but you do get more benefits so in a way it is a net gain based on getting free college and healthcare included with your raised taxes..

Old 04-20-2016, 07:53 PM

34,053 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
And under Sanders taxes will increase but you do get more benefits so in a way it is a net gain based on getting free college and healthcare included with your raised taxes..
Wrong. Its a wash, as someone ELSE YOU HOPE pays more , getting nothing more, to offset "YOUR FREEBIE".

There is no net to society freebie. Someone always pays for it, or it adds to national debt, which will be unsustainable soon.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:53 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
OK, lets get rid of free K-12 education. I am certain that would cause extreme joy to the right wingers.
How do you see anything on your list as "free"?

K-12 isn't free - tax dollars pay for it.

Quote:
And lets abolish all free public highways and put a toll to enrich the private sector.
Non-toll roads aren't free - they are paid for/maintained through (usually) property tax dollars at either a town/county level.

Quote:
And lets close all public and municipal golf courses. Anyone that wants to play needs to join a country club.
How are non-membership golf courses free? You have to pay greens fees and if you want a golf cart (at all the course I know of) you have to pay for that too.

Quote:
And who needs a public free police force or EMS. Let every family pay for their own security.
The police force in any town isn't "free"....property taxes pay for it. EMS/ambulance services aren't free unless they are volunteer.

Quote:
And for God's sake abolish Medicare and Social Security, who needs that crap!!
Not free. Tax payers pay for "that crap".

Old 04-20-2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Wrong. Its a wash, as someone ELSE YOU HOPE pays more , getting nothing more, to offset "YOUR FREEBIE".

There is no net to society freebie. Someone always pays for it, or it adds to national debt, which will be unsustainable soon.
And nobody has a plan that will offset that. We need higher taxes which is something Republicans whether they have been for years like Cruz or changed within the last decade like Trump don't want AND spending cuts which besides Cruz, neither side truly wants to achieve a lower national debt. Republicans who ask for budget cuts and tax cuts at the same time are reversing the good they are trying to accomplish.

And where did it say I wanted there to be true freebies, just it would be a possible net savings to remove the cost of tuition and instead pay taxes rather than monthly health premiums? Don't go TANSTAFL on me, I admit it isn't a free lunch.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:10 PM

We already have cheap public colleges, and several states offer free tuition for 2 years from lottery scholarships for modest GPAs.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
We already have cheap public colleges, and several states offer free tuition for 2 years from lottery scholarships for modest GPAs.
The keyword being several. Not ALL states have cheap community colleges (New York for example) nor do they offer enough lotterty scholarships to go around. As a white middle class male, you basically SOL when it comes to scholarships. I only got some $50-100 off a $5000 state school full-time tuition from Phi Theta Kappa and I had a 3.3 GPA. Yet if I had enough Native blood in me (I have several tribes but too far removed to claim tribal membership) or was anything but white and male, you can bet I could have gotten a scholarship with a 3.3 as it is a "modest GPA."

Old 04-20-2016, 08:24 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
And nobody has a plan that will offset that. We need higher taxes which is something Republicans whether they have been for years like Cruz or changed within the last decade like Trump don't want AND spending cuts which besides Cruz, neither side truly wants to achieve a lower national debt. Republicans who ask for budget cuts and tax cuts at the same time are reversing the good they are trying to accomplish.

And where did it say I wanted there to be true freebies, just it would be a possible net savings to remove the cost of tuition and instead pay taxes rather than monthly health premiums? Don't go TANSTAFL on me, I admit it isn't a free lunch.
Start with ending this:

Quote:
“The 2016 Pig Book shows that earmarks are making an unwelcome comeback in Washington,” said CAGW President Tom Schatz. “At a time when some members of Congress from both sides of the aisle and both sides of the Capitol continue to call for a restoration of earmarks, other members have introduced legislation to make the earmark moratorium permanent. The 2016 Pig Book shows once again that any earmark is a bad earmark. Taxpayers should deliver a loud and clear message that it is time for earmarks to be banned, once and for all.”
CAGW Releases 2016 Congressional Pig Book | Citizens Against Government Waste

It's pathetic.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
The keyword being several. Not ALL states have cheap community colleges (New York for example) nor do they offer enough lotterty scholarships to go around. As a white middle class male, you basically SOL when it comes to scholarships. I only got some $50-100 off a $5000 state school full-time tuition from Phi Theta Kappa and I had a 3.3 GPA. Yet if I had enough Native blood in me (I have several tribes but too far removed to claim tribal membership) or was anything but white and male, you can bet I could have gotten a scholarship with a 3.3 as it is a "modest GPA."

$5k though is a modest tuition, work some, loans, etc. Good ROI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies