Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 07:49 AM

2,055 posts, read 1,447,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
First thing I have noticed is many White people don't think about nor are they offended by BLM slogan or their documented objective. The ones who are offended are mostly easily led and misguided by media.

Many of these people commenting are not very smart and have no desire to think for themselves and don't care to hear the truth. They just want to talk about Black people in a negative way because it makes them feel good.
Here's a thought from one of your "White people" who thinks. Since your on-line buddy refuses to answer the question posed to him, I'll provide you the opportunity. Read/reread the OP article and please tell me just what racial inequalities their solutions will solve. Since you probably don't want to be included in this group ... "Many of these people commenting are not very smart and have no desire to think for themselves and don't care to hear the truth" ... tell me how these THUGS are in any way trying to achieve anything near what MLK and the original civil rights movement longed for, an end to segregation and complete integration. Do that and then we can have a genuine discussion about race relations.

El Nox
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 08:32 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,960,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
Read/reread the OP article and please tell me just what racial inequalities their solutions will solve. Since you probably don't want to be included in this group ... "Many of these people commenting are not very smart and have no desire to think for themselves and don't care to hear the truth" ... tell me how these THUGS are in any way trying to achieve anything near what MLK and the original civil rights movement longed for, an end to segregation and complete integration. Do that and then we can have a genuine discussion about race relations.

El Nox
No! I am not going to reread the lazy and racist article in the OP.

MLK objectives are completely in line with the BLM movement. Read their website and study your history books about the racial issues on college campuses. Compare what people said about MLK and BLM. The same messiness racists had in the 50s and 60s, they have today.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:53 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,169,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
It's the usual posters who are uniformed and think Rascism doesn't exist and that BLM or anything other organizations just popped up out of no where to start trouble. The Internet is the best way to see how Americans really feel about certain groups of people.

They still can't come to grips that there are serious racial problems in this country especially at these majority white schools. They feel it's BLM are ruthless thugs. When you mention what's going on most of these posters will deflect from the issue by bringing up black on black crime etc. it's just sad
Exactly.

Half of this forum ******* about Obama and the government, which is why many of them are supporting Trump because they believe he's "anti-establishment". They're tired of the government ignoring their issues and doing nothing when they voice their concerns.

But when a group of students, mostly black, face the same problem at a place where they are paying a lot of money to attend and decide to do the same thing (rebel against the governing body), all of a sudden, it's a problem and they're a bunch of thugs.

Quote:
Before I spend one second on your ridiculous answer I suggest YOU go back and read/reread the article in the OP. Somehow, I don't think you will.

Go back and read/reread the OP article.

Well, since your "friend" is a leader of the protests ... you might want to get a higher quality of "friend". According to the article, which I am sure you have not read/reread, your friend is tearing down what MLK and the rest of the civil rights movement stood/stands for. And YES, your leader friend is nothing short of a thug for trying to destroy what up til now was an honorable movement. BTW, since you refuse to state what the 2012 problems were and mention that things in Texas were worse, I again ask for enlightenment on just what those problems were and add to that how the solutions the thugs want will make those problems get better.

El Nox
Higher quality of friend? You know nothing about the Butler family, so you might want to watch what you say. The link is something from "PolitiStick"? You and the OP should getting your sources from higher quality sites.

I suggest you STOP talking about what you don't know. If you want to know, feel free to search for those posts or use the Google machine. Racial issues and health benefits for G.A.'s were just two of the issues that went on at Mizzou. I'm not going to waste my time with someone who already has his mind made up.

You think I give a rip what you think about the issue? No. Why? Because you weren't there.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:56 AM

Quote:
First thing I have noticed is many White people don't think about nor are they offended by BLM slogan or their documented objective. The ones who are offended are mostly easily led and misguided by media.

Many of these people commenting are not very smart and have no desire to think for themselves and don't care to hear the truth. They just want to talk about Black people in a negative way because it makes them feel good.
Basically.

They go off biased sources that no one has ever heard of or gives any credibility to. They don't bother to do their own research or at least listen to people who have first-hand experience of a situation.

They take their own preconceived notions + what they're spoonfed from slanted sources, and believe that to be fact.

You know it's a waste of your time when someone tries to tell you you're wrong and what actually has taken place, even though you attended school there, and they've probably never been within 100 miles of the campus.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:26 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,764,147 times
Quote:
It is not. What hurt Mizzou is that they've had racial issues on campus ever since I can remember. I had friends who actually went there and had problems. If racism goes unchecked you will develop issues like what's at Mizzou. Whats so hard to understand?
Why Mizzou then and not any of the other schools with even more severe racial issues on campus?

Old 04-19-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Higher quality of friend? You know nothing about the Butler family, so you might want to watch what you say. The link is something from "PolitiStick"? You and the OP should getting your sources from higher quality sites.
Jonathon Butler is not even a part of CS1950 anymore, much less the leader. The group is ironically mostly faculty now, who are pushing increased unionization of campus workers alongside the original CS1950 issues.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Jonathon Butler is not even a part of CS1950 anymore, much less the leader. The group is ironically mostly faculty now, who are pushing increased unionization of campus workers alongside the original CS1950 issues.
Again with this.

Who went on the hunger strike and helped make the Mizzou story national?

By the way, he's about my age, and founded a company that helps combat human trafficking.

Some thug.

I'd like to see what great social causes some of you posters that refer to him as such have taken up.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:14 AM

2,055 posts, read 1,447,420 times
Quote:
Many of these people commenting are not very smart and have no desire to think for themselves and don't care to hear the truth.
Hmmm ... looks like the shoe doesn't fit you ...

Quote:
No! I am not going to reread the lazy and racist article in the OP.
Don't confuse me with the facts, my mind is made up. What a pity.

Quote:
MLK objectives are completely in line with the BLM movement.
Totally false. MLK NEVER would have advocated ANY form of segregation. Maybe YOU need to go back and do the research ... but then, you won't even read the OP link because your mind is made up.

Quote:
But when a group of students, mostly black, face the same problem at a place where they are paying a lot of money to attend and decide to do the same thing (rebel against the governing body), all of a sudden, it's a problem and they're a bunch of thugs.
I'm still waiting for your response to my query about how the demands of the students solve any of their complaints. Also waiting to see what complaints you had in 2012 became worse in Texas. Good thing I haven't held my breath. Ever hear the phrase "Show Me".

Quote:
You think I give a rip what you think about the issue? No. Why? Because you weren't there.
No, I don't think you do. BTW, you may have been there in 2012 ... but not for the current situation. I was in MO 40+ years ago ... does that make me knowledgeable about what is happening now?

Quote:
ATG talked about family. Time for a history lesson ... Nero and Caligula were from 'good' families. And for a more recent example, the Sandy Hook kid appeared to be from a good family as well. But alas, attempts at adult intercourse with these two is a waste of time. O well.

El Nox

Old 04-19-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Again with this.

Who went on the hunger strike and helped make the Mizzou story national?

By the way, he's about my age, and founded a company that helps combat human trafficking.

Some thug.

I'd like to see what great social causes some of you posters that refer to him as such have taken up.
You are using Jonathon Butler and his family and his acts to say, "CS1950 is good". My point is that Jonathon Butler is not part of CS1950 any more, and has not been part of CS1950 during the huge mess that has happened in the last three months. The third set of demands and the protests which followed those were what has really screwed up Mizzou, and those came well after Butler (and most of the other group founders) had left.

As for the other parts, just want to note that founding a company with his family's money is kinda easy....

I founded a non-profit in St Louis that is a group of about 300 volunteers who do tech projects (front-end, back-end, data science, etc) for other non-profits and government agencies. We won a MacArthur Foundation grant in our second year in existence, though none of us take a salary. (We do pay out salaries for positions in other non-profit groups in the area who handle project management and grant management for the grant, but not for any of the core functions of our organization by our own members.) We won an even larger grant before the MacArthur Grant, but the City of St Louis and St Louis County were our co-applicants who were supposed to supply the matching funds, and they backed out on us at the last minute.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
I'm still waiting for your response to my query about how the demands of the students solve any of their complaints. Also waiting to see what complaints you had in 2012 became worse in Texas. Good thing I haven't held my breath. Ever hear the phrase "Show Me".
So, should the students not complain if there are issues? If that is the case, then why are so many Americans voicing their displeasure with our current politicians? It's not that you can't see the parallels, you're just choosing not to.

And for the third time, I told you you can look up my previous posts yourself. Then again, since you have such a strong opinion of what took place on my campus, you would already be aware, if you were truly informed.

Quote:
No, I don't think you do. BTW, you may have been there in 2012 ... but not for the current situation. I was in MO 40+ years ago ... does that make me knowledgeable about what is happening now?
I actually have been back to the campus multiple times, and my best friend still lives there. You seem to have a hard time understanding that I actually attended school there.

Uh no, you being in the state of Missouri 40 years ago makes your opinion irrelevant. That much is obvious.

Quote:
ATG talked about family. Time for a history lesson ... Nero and Caligula were from 'good' families. And for a more recent example, the Sandy Hook kid appeared to be from a good family as well. But alas, attempts at adult intercourse with these two is a waste of time. O well.

El Nox
Did you really just compare the Sandy Hook killer, a guy who murdered elementary kids, to a guy who went on a hunger strike and helped exposed the incompetent administration at MU?

Yeah, we're done here.

Quote:
Founding a company with his money is kinda easy....

I founded a non-profit in St Louis that is a group of about 300 volunteers who do tech projects (front-end, back-end, data science, etc) for other non-profits and government agencies. We won a MacArthur Foundation grant in our second year in existence, though none of us take a salary. (We do pay out salaries for positions in other non-profit groups in the area who handle project management and grant management for the grant, but not for any of the core functions of our organization by our own members.) We won an even larger grant before the MacArthur Grant, but the City of St Louis and St Louis County were our co-applicants who were supposed to supply the matching funds, and they backed out on us at the last minute.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

He could've chosen to blow his money on cars and clubs, but when people want to find something to complain about, they will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies