Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the US engineer a coup d'etat in Israel like we did in Chile, Vietnam, Guatemala, etc.?
Yes 4 10.00%
No 35 87.50%
Not sure 0 0%
The US engineered coups in those countries? 1 2.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 11:31 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,660,138 times

Advertisements

We did those things supposedly to protect "Freedom and Liberty". F & L had nothing to do with our actions. We were protecting our investors from taking losses. They made a bad choice and our government bailed them out. If we really believed in Free Market we would have let them suffer for their bad decisions.

banjomike said it correctly. All of these interventions only delayed those nations from achieving what they wanted while leaving us with a nearly incurable international infection that costs us money and reputation. We should stay far away from other countries domestic politics. Far, far away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 11:33 AM

56,989 posts, read 35,116,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
We did those things supposedly to protect "Freedom and Liberty". F & L had nothing to do with our actions. We were protecting our investors from taking losses. They made a bad choice and our government bailed them out. If we really believed in Free Market we would have let them suffer for their bad decisions.

banjomike said it correctly. All of these interventions only delayed those nations from achieving what they wanted while leaving us with a nearly incurable international infection that costs us money and reputation. We should stay far away from other countries domestic politics. Far, far away.
You can say that again.

But Americans just won't learn.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:49 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,662,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You've gotta admit...it's a pretty stupid arrangement.

The Israelis would be better off without the aid. It's not worth the criticism, and they could raise 3-4 billion dollars annually in a New York minute. The aid is a hindrance.
Sure it is, But the US penned the Treaty this way. The only way to undo it is for Egypt-Israel-US to either amend the Treaty or dissolve it completely as it's a Debit Card and not Aid.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:50 PM

56,989 posts, read 35,116,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Sure it is, But the US penned the Treaty this way. The only way to undo it is for Egypt-Israel-US to either amend the Treaty or dissolve it completely as it's a Debit Card and not Aid.
Lol...OK. You always straighten me out about aid vs debit card.

But so long as you concede the point about the original deal being kinda stupid and antiquated, I'll go along with your interpretation of it.

Old 04-20-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:

But so long as you concede the point about the original deal being kinda stupid and antiquated, I'll go along with your interpretation of it.
Israel gets back the Sinai, Egypt gets all the Palestinians from Gaza, all the Arabs residing in the Sinai and the US gets to keep their Debit Card. Deal?

Old 04-20-2016, 02:11 PM

234 posts, read 201,624 times
Quote:

The original deal made tons of sense in order to have control over the Suez instead of the Russians.

Old 04-20-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Israel gets back the Sinai, Egypt gets all the Palestinians from Gaza, all the Arabs residing in the Sinai and the US gets to keep their Debit Card. Deal?
No thanks

I'd rather give the Israelis 3 B in gift cards they have to shop with at Lockheed and Raytheon.

Old 04-20-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOIGUY View Post
The original deal made tons of sense in order to have control over the Suez instead of the Russians.
Egypt gets their $2 Billion Gift Card yearly for that.

Old 04-20-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Egypt gets their $2 Billion Gift Card yearly for that.
Exactly (and they got control of the Sinai back). I'm including that in the whole package and why the deal wasn't "kinda stupid and antiquated" at all.

Old 04-20-2016, 05:10 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,771,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
What an insane question.
I won't even bother to vote NO in this idiotic poll.

Fuhgeddaboutit. I voted "no" for both of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies