Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2016, 02:31 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times

Advertisements

Sounds as if Ted Cruz is leaving no stone unturned in attempt to hijack the 2016 GOP Presidential nomination even though the voters don't want him. This includes getting rid, apparently of Phyllis Schlafy. Well she wasn't having it and beat the Canadian rat at his own game.

Phyllis Schlafly Releases Video After Attempted Coup by Cruz Supporters: "I'm Still in Charge" (VIDEO)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 02:36 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,274,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Sounds as if Ted Cruz is leaving no stone unturned in attempt to hijack the 2016 GOP Presidential nomination even though the voters don't want him. This includes getting rid, apparently of Phyllis Schlafy. Well she wasn't having it and beat the Canadian rat at his own game.

Phyllis Schlafly Releases Video After Attempted Coup by Cruz Supporters: "I'm Still in Charge" (VIDEO)
Phyllis is still sharp as a nail after all these years.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:15 PM

25,957 posts, read 22,107,325 times
Being that age, she well remembers what our country was even better than myself, so it makes perfect sense that she would be endorsing Trump. "Make America Great Again". I remember when it was great and not the door mat to the world.

I think she would know what a strong conservative is.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:17 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
^Indeed. It's clear she would know a rat when she sees one.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:33 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,699,096 times
they have a point... she's 91, clearly not in full charge of her faculties, as shown by her endorsement of trump.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:38 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,699,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Sounds as if Ted Cruz is leaving no stone unturned
Did you read the article? It is the people in Ms. Schlafly's own organization who she is having a problem with. It is an internal power struggle, and not something that cruz is doing. There is enough to blame him for without having to twist what is happening because of a power struggle within an organization.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:46 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,839,847 times
How did "Ted Cruz" attempt a coup? Is he on the Board of the Eagle Forum? Are you making things up again like Donald does?

Are you just fabricating post headlines to smear Cruz?

Old 04-19-2016, 03:49 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,274,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
How did "Ted Cruz" attempt a coup? Is he on the Board of the Eagle Forum? Are you making things up again like Donald does?

Are you just fabricating post headlines to smear Cruz?
I didn't understand that either. She never even mentioned Cruz or his team.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:38 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Meh.
My family is having similar (but non-political) trouble with our mother. She's 90, and if you were to meet her, you would think she's in full command of her faculties.

The truth is, she is. For about 15 minutes at a stretch or less.

Past that, she beings getting confused, mixing different things up that have no connection, or forgetting vital parts of things that affect us all. Like Phyllis, she is in the early stages of dementia. Once the focus goes, it doesn't come back for hours to days, but the agitation stays. And it causes her to go through her old files and mix them up, throw away important papers, and make phone calls that are both confusing and inappropriate to others.

Last year, she was better than she is this year. Next year, she will be worse than she is now. It's a slow progression for her and Mrs. Schlafy, but it's happening. There is little that can be done yet to help an old brain from slowly losing more and more as it continues to age.

And she has too much that's still in her control that she refuses to give up or spread out to others. A few years ago, she made a serious mistake that could have completely ruined her financially, and, carried to an extreme, could have led to criminal charges.
She refused to accept she had been mistaken even when pressed by her lawyer, who did his best trying to convince her to do the necessary corrections. The meeting went on for over 3 hours, and she refused to budge.

It put her in jeopardy and the rest of us in a crisis. Eventually, we were able to convince her to do the corrective steps, but it took weeks, while time was running out.

I see exactly the same thing happening here in the Eagle Forum. An old lady who is slowly getting foggy and refuses to admit or accept the fact its happening. Hubris and pride in the aged can do a lot of damage.

No one mentioned that one of her daughters was in the group that was ousted.

The next thing my family has to face is taking away the car keys. My mother is still OK driving around town to places she knows, but she's beginning to miss stop signs. On a highway, she's already a danger, as she won't let anyone pass her and speeds up to prevent it. But she won't let anyone else drive.

And like Phyllis, she's in pretty good physical shape. Her mother lived to be 97, so she could be with us for quite a while to come. There's always a time when the reins of power must be passed on or an organization will collapse. All this was was an old woman's revenge for challenging the authority she's no longer fit to have.

Mrs. Schlafly, in past years, would have let this kerfuffle slide by with no big problems. Don't expect the Eagle Forum to ever be what it once was, and don't expect it to last much longer. Like all the aging evangelists who won't give up their control, what she built will go straight down hill from here on until its all gone.

She sounded exactly like my Mom in that video- "Don't worry. I'm still in charge. I can handle this."

Next year, if she's still around, she won't care one way or the other. She probably won't even remember what started the downfall. By then, she will have a different Board, and could fire them all, too, for crossing her. Old people are very persistent in their grievances.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:28 AM

1,970 posts, read 2,235,124 times
I had a long policy conversation with Mrs. Schlafly at Grover Norquist's Americans for Tax Reform party at the last RNC. She didn't show any signs of dementia to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies