Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2016, 03:21 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Other than ESPN firing him for that specific reason?

And I can't wait to see what evidence you provide for this assertion.

And while I'm at it, I just have to ask - could you elaborate a bit on this?
LOL...that poster acts as if ESPN doesn't have lawyers of their own. I'm pretty damn sure that his contract was run past the company lawyers that gave them the ok to boot his lame ass out the door.

They just canned Bill Simmons, and he's 100 times the talent that Schilling is and his contract was pretty damn ironclad. All Simmons did was repeatedly speak the truth about the NFL Commish. Funny how conservatives didn't care about that one bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 03:27 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,370,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Your double standards point is a legitimate question. But what I'm wondering is who gets to make the decisions. Some things to consider:

1. Should Curt Schilling be allowed to write anything on his own personal social media without pushback from his employer?
If he should, it ought to be consistent. Why was Kenny Mayne never reprimanded of fired for what he tweeted?

"almost rammed car with palin bumper sticker. with intent.. held up..coulda been kids in car."
https://twitter.com/kenny_mayne/stat...76974363852800

Quote:
2. Should this freedom in (1) apply to everyone? What positions are acceptable for there to be pushback from their employers?
I don't think it should be, I'd say if you have a public facing job and your actions could shine a negative light on your employer, there should be pushback as long as it is agreed upon in your employment contract.
Even with THAT said, I have a hard time seeing how one's personal social media account that they use on their off time should be used against anyone whether they are Curt Schilling or a recent college grad with pictures partying during spring break. As long as you are presentable and professional WHILE you are working, what you do on your own time, short of getting arrested, is no one's business. Most jobs like to pretend they have something called a work-life balance. For that to work, there has to be an actual separation between the two.

Quote:
3. Who gets to decide what is offensive? Does it depend on the job that one holds? Does it depend on how things are phrased? For example, stating that you believe transgender people should use bathrooms that correspond to their biological sex is different than posting a cartoon that equates MTF transgender people to men dressing up as women to violate them (I would find the second statement offensive.)
I don't think it's much of a stretch that someone saying they almost rammed a car with intent because of the political sticker they had on the bumper is pretty offensive.

Quote:
4. Is it okay for an employer to be inherently biased in determining what they find offensive? Is it okay for them to take a liberal or conservative bent?
Absolutely NOT!! Then they essentially betray that this has absolutely NOTHING to do with civility. It is about using the PRETEXT of civility to shut down ideologies and opinions that you disagree with. The fact that ESPN did absolutely nothing to Kenny Mayne but fired Schilling shows me where they stand.

Quote:
I think these are all questions we need to consider before simply crying political correctness run amok.
Well, that might be the case if we didn't have almost daily examples of exactly that... political correctness run amok. From college kids needing counseling and safe spaces when someone writes "Trump" in chalk to calling the term "illegal immigrant" an insult, there are constant examples daily of grown adults taking leave of their senses.

Old 04-25-2016, 03:53 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,710,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
77% of the public, agrees with Curt Schilling!
Everyone of sound mind does.

Old 04-25-2016, 03:58 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,071,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
If he should, it ought to be consistent. Why was Kenny Mayne never reprimanded of fired for what he tweeted?

"almost rammed car with palin bumper sticker. with intent.. held up..coulda been kids in car."
https://twitter.com/kenny_mayne/stat...76974363852800

I don't think it should be, I'd say if you have a public facing job and your actions could shine a negative light on your employer, there should be pushback as long as it is agreed upon in your employment contract.
Even with THAT said, I have a hard time seeing how one's personal social media account that they use on their off time should be used against anyone whether they are Curt Schilling or a recent college grad with pictures partying during spring break. As long as you are presentable and professional WHILE you are working, what you do on your own time, short of getting arrested, is no one's business. Most jobs like to pretend they have something called a work-life balance. For that to work, there has to be an actual separation between the two.

I don't think it's much of a stretch that someone saying they almost rammed a car with intent because of the political sticker they had on the bumper is pretty offensive.

Absolutely NOT!! Then they essentially betray that this has absolutely NOTHING to do with civility. It is about using the PRETEXT of civility to shut down ideologies and opinions that you disagree with. The fact that ESPN did absolutely nothing to Kenny Mayne but fired Schilling shows me where they stand.

Well, that might be the case if we didn't have almost daily examples of exactly that... political correctness run amok. From college kids needing counseling and safe spaces when someone writes "Trump" in chalk to calling the term "illegal immigrant" an insult, there are constant examples daily of grown adults taking leave of their senses.

Thank you for your response.

You mention the Kenny Mayne tweet a lot. I'm not sure it falls under the same category as Schilling's post as I think everyone knows that Mayne wasn't going to ram a car, and disliking a political figure isn't quite the same thing as disrespecting a group of people based off of prejudicial assumptions. That being said, I would agree that Mayne's tweet was inappropriate, and since it's from five years ago, maybe ESPN had a discussion with him internally about responsible social media use and he's learned his lesson. Schilling is a repeat offender.

Anyhow, it sounds like your position is that some social media posts can be scrutinized by employers, but it must be done in a nonpartisan and non political way, and should not solely be left to the discretion of the employers themselves. Am I right?

Old 04-25-2016, 04:08 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times
It's a shame the world has come to this. I have never liked social media anyway but everyone should be able to state opinion on something that is HUGELY CONTROVERSIAL (meaning people are split on the issue) precisely BECAUSE it's controversial and everyone of course is going to have to talk about it if a consensus is ever going to be reached and if laws are going to be made! He's not promoting illegal activity here, it's an opinion the majority of people hold and so far it's not illegal to discuss current events and what you think of them in this country.

I'd like to say that people just shouldn't talk about this kind of thing but that just means the voice of those who do is the only voice ever heard, and that would be stupid. But apparently that's what some people want.

The real issue is allowing corporations to speak for all who work for them. Why THAT isn't pissing everyone off is a mystery to me. Corporations should shut the heck up on political things and do whatever they are supposed to be doing. Let the PEOPLE speak for themselves, not cowtow to the CEO's beliefs or whatever.

Old 04-25-2016, 04:10 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,012,999 times
Progressives are the world's ultimate champions of sissiness. While ISIS sells women as sex slaves, western leftists are bouncing off the walls upset over the fact someone said they thought transgendered people should use the restroom of their biological sex. Progressives are a disease that make a mockery out of liberal values.

Old 04-25-2016, 05:12 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,295,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
Progressives are the world's ultimate champions of sissiness. While ISIS sells women as sex slaves, western leftists are bouncing off the walls upset over the fact someone said they thought transgendered people should use the restroom of their biological sex. Progressives are a disease that make a mockery out of liberal values.
You know not what you speak. Today's sports and it's athletes for example are more progressive then conservative on social issues, and today's athletes are better then anytime time before, far from being sissies.
Now speaking on bathroom, those speaking out against Schilling are doing it more so on his character and they way he put his opinion on the matter out there. He could of expressed it in a way to not appear to be bigoted against trans people. Between this and things he has said in the past his bordering on being another Jon Rocker.

Old 04-25-2016, 05:50 PM

33,999 posts, read 17,030,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
77% of the public, agrees with Curt Schilling!
As he sits home, unemployed, where he belongs.

Old 04-25-2016, 06:56 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,370,967 times
Quote:
Thank you for your response.

You mention the Kenny Mayne tweet a lot. I'm not sure it falls under the same category as Schilling's post as I think everyone knows that Mayne wasn't going to ram a car, and disliking a political figure isn't quite the same thing as disrespecting a group of people based off of prejudicial assumptions.
I completely disagree. I realize Mayne was not actually gonna ram the car but he's tweeting that he has an urge to cause bodily injury to someone entirely based on a bumper sticker on their car. If THAT isn't a "prejudicial assumption" what is?!

Basically, people who support Sarah Palin (or anyone else you disagree with) are so contemptible that they deserve to be rammed with cars.

Imagine if someone had made a flippant post on Twitter that they had an urge to ram a car that had a bumper sticker supporting transgenders or gay people...simply because of who they are! Do you seriously think what Schilling posted is somehow worse or even equal to that?

Quote:
Anyhow, it sounds like your position is that some social media posts can be scrutinized by employers, but it must be done in a nonpartisan and non political way, and should not solely be left to the discretion of the employers themselves. Am I right?
Non-partisan, non-political and no double standards.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:14 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,295,435 times
Good read by Roxanne Jones the former VP from ESPN, pretty much sums it up;

Not fair, you say. What about freedom of speech, you ask?
Well, the huge difference is Schilling is not like most of you. The day he walked off the mound and decided to collect a paycheck as a baseball analyst, he gave up his right to publicly rant about just any subject that popped into his head.
Because while the public may care very much about his expert baseball insights and opinions, his uninformed, biased opinions on everything from Muslims to Nazis to Hillary Clinton and her emails, and now transgender communities, have added nothing intelligent to any conversation, sports or otherwise.

Curt Schilling deserved to get canned - CNN.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies