Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 08:36 AM

19 posts, read 239,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Yes, the snowflakes cannot handle anyone being rationally moral. They will use force instead of the reason of one's own mind. The truth hurt to bad to counter with reason, so force was the only option in the arsenal of free will and free thinking.
Morality is relative. For some, it's rationally moral to fire someone who acts in a bigoted manner towards innocent people. You can still have "free will" and "free thinking", just in a circlejerk with people who agree with your mindset. That's just how humanity works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 08:39 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,070,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Exactly. I just love how Righties who love, love, love to tout "personal responsibility" only apply that concept to people they don't like -- the poor, minorities, women, gays and transsexuals, etc. -- and ignore "personal responsibility" when it's applied to one of their own bigoted cretins.
I think you misunderstood what personal responsibility is, probably because you don't support it.

Personal responsibility does not mean you can't complain about injustice, it means you own your actions. For instance you can protest against US private health care system, but you should still take personal responsibility and save up money for emergencies.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:41 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
No consequences for expressing an opinion? What world do you live in?
That is the world I was born into in 1945. I feel so sorry for decent people today. Either join the communist lyrics or live with the consequences. Decency is no longer allowed, or at least the right to talk decency is no longer allowed. Come on attack dogs. I'm expecting you. And I don't care one bit that you will be calling me names because I am a decent person. What you say does not matter to me.

I am talking about freedom of speech. I have been on vacation and have no idea what the subject of this thread is talking about and further more, I don't care what it is talking about.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto Jeff View Post
Morality is relative. For some, it's rationally moral to fire someone who acts in a bigoted manner towards innocent people. You can still have "free will" and "free thinking", just in a circlejerk with people who agree with your mindset. That's just how humanity works.
He was not a bigot, he just made a political statement that ESPN disagrees with.

Yes it may be offensive to some people, but plenty of left wing cartoons are also offensive to some people.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:47 AM

19 posts, read 239,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
He was not a bigot, he just made a political statement that ESPN disagrees with.

Yes it may be offensive to some people, but plenty of left wing cartoons are also offensive to some people.

And there's plenty of left wing people who are bigots towards right winged people as well.

Again, it's part of the human condition.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:53 AM

4,135 posts, read 2,835,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Exactly. I just love how Righties who love, love, love to tout "personal responsibility" only apply that concept to people they don't like -- the poor, minorities, women, gays and transsexuals, etc. -- and ignore "personal responsibility" when it's applied to one of their own bigoted cretins.

yep.

6,260 posts, read 5,066,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I think a sleeping giant is ready to awaken in this country and destroy this liberal mantra we have been saddled with.
We were at a scrap yard yesterday. They have an old Suburban there that was in a crash and they're parting it out. We have an old beater Suburban we use for going up into the mountains and we were looking for a couple of parts. A friend told us it was there and when we mentioned his name the guy behind the counter was trying to figure out who we were talking about. He asked us "Is he an Indian guy?".

As soon as the words came out of his mouth I saw a look of panic on his face and he quickly corrected himself "Uhhhh No offense..........I meant Native American".

He was talking about the right guy. And yes he was Native American. And no we weren't offended. We knew who he meant, and he meant no harm when he asked. And I walked away disappointed at what I had just witnessed. Americans are turning into fearful people - fearful to say anything...........anything at all..........that may offend. That may cause someone to make the receiver of such loathsome words complain in a big way. That may cause someone to be reprimanded or lose their job because of one wayward word.

It stinks. Hundreds of thousands of our fellow citizens throughout history have lost their lives fighting for the ability of the rest of us to be able to speak freely and without fear of repercussion. And this is where we are at now.

I heard something about Schilling yesterday but don't even know what he said. Haven't even bothered to look it up because I just don't care enough to look it up. When the owner of a basketball team can be forced to sell off his team because of something he said privately we have a problem in this country. When delicate flowers need safe spaces, police investigations, university administration apology, and psychological counseling because somebody wrote Trump 2016 in chalk, we have a problem in this country. When dissenting voices can be shut down with cries of racist, narrow mindedness, xenophobia, homophobia, and more we have a problem in this country. When a guy behind the counter of a scrap yard in Idaho can be so visibly upset over the misuse of a single word, we have a problem in this country.

It needs to stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto Jeff View Post
And there's plenty of left wing people who are bigots towards right winged people as well.

Again, it's part of the human condition.
Then you are just abusing the term bigot. Bigot is actually a person who is unfairly and irrationally intolerant of other people's beliefs. There are proper reasons for why men in transition should't go to the womens bathroom, so its not an irrational belief.

The only bigot here is ESPN who can't accept that other people have different political views.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:54 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,957,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
How "private" are they? Do they not piggyback on government-subsidized cable access?
Actually the government itself can fire at-will employees for offensive speech. Short of a shouting "fire" in a movie theater scenario. Government however cannot prohibit the publication of your speech or jail you for it.

I love reading posts from people who fill numerous threads about gay wedding cakes and Chick-Fil-A screaming persecution when a private business makes a decision that they don't like. The lack of consistent principles and self awareness is staggering.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:59 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
We were at a scrap yard yesterday. They have an old Suburban there that was in a crash and they're parting it out. We have an old beater Suburban we use for going up into the mountains and we were looking for a couple of parts. A friend told us it was there and when we mentioned his name the guy behind the counter was trying to figure out who we were talking about. He asked us "Is he an Indian guy?".

As soon as the words came out of his mouth I saw a look of panic on his face and he quickly corrected himself "Uhhhh No offense..........I meant Native American".

He was talking about the right guy. And yes he was Native American. And no we weren't offended. We knew who he meant, and he meant no harm when he asked. And I walked away disappointed at what I had just witnessed. Americans are turning into fearful people - fearful to say anything...........anything at all..........that may offend. That may cause someone to make the receiver of such loathsome words complain in a big way. That may cause someone to be reprimanded or lose their job because of one wayward word.

It stinks. Hundreds of thousands of our fellow citizens throughout history have lost their lives fighting for the ability of the rest of us to be able to speak freely and without fear of repercussion. And this is where we are at now.

I heard something about Schilling yesterday but don't even know what he said. Haven't even bothered to look it up because I just don't care enough to look it up. When the owner of a basketball team can be forced to sell off his team because of something he said privately we have a problem in this country. When delicate flowers need safe spaces, police investigations, university administration apology, and psychological counseling because somebody wrote Trump 2016 in chalk, we have a problem in this country. When dissenting voices can be shut down with cries of racist, narrow mindedness, xenophobia, homophobia, and more we have a problem in this country. When a guy behind the counter of a scrap yard in Idaho can be so visibly upset over the misuse of a single word, we have a problem in this country.

It needs to stop.

If anything sounds like the Thought Police, it is this comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies