Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2016, 02:33 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Young people get killed every day in random automobile accidents. Is that acceptable to you?

Stuff happens. Equal outcomes aren't guaranteed.
Equal outcomes aren't guaranteed, no. But we, as a society, wouldn't leave someone bleeding in the middle of a street because they were in a car accident. That's exactly what we do with people who develop acute or chronic conditions before they have the ability to pay for them (if they ever gain that ability).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 03:00 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Young people get killed every day in random automobile accidents. Is that acceptable to you?

Stuff happens. Equal outcomes aren't guaranteed.
Ouch. That's a cold heart.

Old 04-25-2016, 03:17 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"They pay lip service to small employers and individual buyers of health insurance."

Are you talking form experience or just what you have heard?

I have worked for large and small businesses, my experience counters what you are claiming.

"There are also restrictions that prevent health insurers from selling insurance across state lines."

Actually that is a myth.

To sell ANYTHING in a state you need license from that state.

Each state, as far as I know, has it's OWN insurance commissioner. The Insurance Commission sets basic requirements on what an insurance company has to offer in their state if they want to do business there.

ALL insurance companies are FREE to offer insurance in any state as long as they meet the requirements of the Insurance commission.

" What don't the other major health insurance companies want to do business in Western PA?"

You will have to ask them that, which I suggest you do some research and find out INSTEAD of speaking from ignorance.They CAN if they WANT to and meet the requirements.

"Who is going to get a better policy at a lower price, a person buying a policy for his family or an employer with 5,000 employees?"

Volume buying is ALWAYS cheaper. Which is one reason why Wa-lMart can sell the same products as other stores because of the bigger volume.

Is it cheaper per bottle for you to buy 1 Coke or a case?

The more you buy the cheaper the cost per item.

Basic economics.

Health insurance is a sold, service. The MORE you buy, the cheaper per unit.
First of all I'm speaking from experience as a hospital executive and healthcare consultant, but I will be the first to admit that hospital executives have little understanding of the big picture.

The health insurance market consists of three distinct segments: large group, small group and individual. Therefore the 50 state health insurance markets are fragmented into 150 different state markets due to state by state pricing regulation. This defeats the whole purpose of insurance. This was also the biggest accomplishment of Obamacare, the attempt to make insurance available and affordable to individual buyers. As many have realized, Obamacare doesn't go far enough to overcome the issues making health insurance so expensive.

I don't have to do research on why health insurers don't want to do business in Western Pennsylvania. The reason is because two hospital systems own most of the hospitals and each of them are affiliated with the two major health insurers.

You did an excellent job explaining why the health insurance market is not competitive. I'm sure glad other products and services are not sold the same way in this country.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:09 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,416,274 times

You still don't get it. It's not the rate.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ont-have-a-47/

Old 04-26-2016, 06:24 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
I am someone with very serious medical issues ....
Honest discussion?
Why should I be forced to pay for your healthcare?

Old 04-26-2016, 06:42 AM

1,559 posts, read 2,370,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
If Americans continue to be fat, health care costs will continue to skyrocket. You can't make a profit off chronically sick clients.
This is true. Don't forget the smokers. In the healthcare field, we call them "job security."

Old 04-26-2016, 06:54 AM

88,999 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Equal outcomes aren't guaranteed, no. But we, as a society, wouldn't leave someone bleeding in the middle of a street because they were in a car accident. That's exactly what we do with people who develop acute or chronic conditions before they have the ability to pay for them (if they ever gain that ability).
We also "let" millions of others die every year. Can't save everyone, even when the technology and medical treatments and equipment to do so is available.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Ouch. That's a cold heart.
No. It's realistic. We just don't have the resources to save everyone no matter what. Neither do national health care countries.

https://fee.org/articles/national-he...ical-disaster/

Old 04-26-2016, 06:59 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,898,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Why should I be forced to pay for your healthcare?
You won't be. I am on my wife's private plan and we have lots of money.

I am talking about less fortunate people.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
This is true. Don't forget the smokers. In the healthcare field, we call them "job security."
Well, then... You should be able to understand the following adult obesity-related health care disaster, created by the food stamp program:

Income-eligible adults who get food stamps: 44% obesity rate.
Income-eligible adults who do not get food stamps: 33% obesity rate.
Higher-income adults who of course don't even qualify for food stamps: 32% obesity rate.

Exhibit 5, here: http://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/defaul...-SNAP07-10.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies