Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 12:17 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,113,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That's because the government interferes and picks artificial winners and losers.
Usually picking one's citizens over a competing countries'.

You may find yourself unable to compete without Uncle Sam looking at for you because you aren't as special as you think when you are competing against the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Glad you recognize that. STOP giving them benefits. Let them suffer the same consequences as the rest of the worldwide over-breeding poor.
Cutting off ones nose to spite their face always seems to be the conservative solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 12:26 PM

30,987 posts, read 22,039,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Todays leaders on the left are ex-hippies (Hillary). Then there is Bernie, he didn't have a real job until he was in his "40's". They both want to relive their glory days. Those shrooms must have done some major brain damage.

People screaming, salivating over this is that celebrity is really pathetic.
They have definately consumed too many illicit drugs. Their Ideal is Cuba or Venezuela and their Heros are Castro, Sean Penn and Che.

Old 04-27-2016, 12:30 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,173,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Our government taxes us with a boot on our throats, just to give it away without accountability to the underachievers.

How much does the government spend on the overachievers? The people that are super smart? The people that will lead this nation into the future?

Is the intent to make the underachievers be achievers? When the actual results is, no one achieves anything.

How does a nation become an economic powerhouse, with a collective mindset? ANSWER? it has never been done and history has proven over and over, it is an utter failure every time it has been tried.
How did I happen to not see this
thread until today??
Just as I take off for work......
This is a compelling
thread that I need to check out later.....
Too much has been taken away from
people who aren't afraid to work.....
Too many lifelong welfare leeches are counting on us to be bled dry for their poor choices.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:47 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
thread until today??
This is a compelling
Too many lifelong welfare leeches are counting on us to be bled dry for their poor choices.
I work and I am pissed that a non completely corrupt financial system has been taken from us. Yes, there has always been an element of corruption all through history. Sometimes very corrupt, other times less. In my lifetime it has never been more corrupt.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:13 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,113,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
thread until today??
This is a compelling
Lol bled dry? I don't recall Medicaid or welfare taking up as much as Medicare, SSN, and defense in budget.

I'm not bled dry, I live comfortably after paying my taxes and my insurance as a 30 year old. It's my experience folks they feel bled dry have made poor choices on their own.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:26 PM

52,185 posts, read 52,623,070 times
Human nature is just human nature and we keep fighting it all the time, heck you see examples of it all around us, the war on drugs ,the war on prostitution, the war on fill in the blank. YOu see how all of that is turning out, some pople are going to be self destructive no matter what you do, note, I said some here.

People are flawed. I think at the core of it is that if people get things that they don't have to put some level of work into they just don't appreciate it. It's the same stuff we heard growing up from our parents, but there's an undeniable truth in it.

I believe in giving people a path to self sustainability, I really do, I think a certain level of government assistance should be available, but not this cradle to the grave entitlement mentality that some seem to have.

The help I'm talking about would be student loans at reduced rates, some assistance for basic living expenses while getting some kind of job skills, things that are timed and have end dates.

Old 04-27-2016, 05:23 PM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I work and I am pissed that a non completely corrupt financial system has been taken from us. Yes, there has always been an element of corruption all through history. Sometimes very corrupt, other times less. In my lifetime it has never been more corrupt.
When the financial system is compared to a fourth branch of government (with legitimate reasons) it's time to think twice.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:55 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,956,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
When the financial system is compared to a fourth branch of government (with legitimate reasons) it's time to think twice.
It is not called Government Wall Street for nothing.
A lot of the Major Banks would be in deep dodo if it were not for their hired politicians stealing from the average American via bail outs and criminal policies.

Old 05-01-2016, 11:16 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
It is not called Government Wall Street for nothing.
A lot of the Major Banks would be in deep dodo if it were not for their hired politicians stealing from the average American via bail outs and criminal policies.
Agreed. It's the ole 'Privatize Profits while Socializing Losses' sophistry. When government intervenes, lobbyists are paid to argue the libertarian case. Cui bono?

Old 05-01-2016, 02:04 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,717,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Our government taxes us with a boot on our throats
The United States has some of the lowest tax rates in the developed world.

Quote:
, just to give it away without accountability to the underachievers.

How much does the government spend on the overachievers? The people that are super smart? The people that will lead this nation into the future?
Overachievers don't need help from the government. That's kind of the point.

Dividing people into "overachievers" and "underachievers" masks the inherent fact that we don't all start out at the same point. As someone with a private school education, who is set to inherit a lot of land, whose parents were highly educated, I started out with a much higher set of resources than some kid from the ghetto. In that sense, I can be an underachiever and still outperform him.

It isn't the government's job to "fix this", but it is the government's job to make sure the poorest of the poor are capable of living without blatant suffering.

Quote:
Is the intent to make the underachievers be achievers?
No, the intent is to provide everyone with the basic bare minimums necessary to live a dignified life, even if they are lazy, retarded, or criminal.

Quote:
How does a nation become an economic powerhouse, with a collective mindset? ANSWER? it has never been done and history has proven over and over, it is an utter failure every time it has been tried.
Being an "economic powerhouse" is as much a function of a country's size and resources as anything else. The Roman Empire, the British empire, the Soviet Union, etc.

Each of these had a different ideology. Just because the US is individualist doesn't mean it is the most successful system.

If you look at per-capita wealth, the United States is beat out by small countries that are more able to strike a balance between individualist and collectivist ideology.

Last edited by le roi; 05-01-2016 at 02:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies