Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 01:49 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,137,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
I got financial aid at 22, I just had to have my own address and not live with my parents. After I was on my own, paying my own rent and bills they judged me independent. My parent's income never came into question.
I lived with roommates in underground inlaw units and wasn't even on the lease. Might be why I got denied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 03:53 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,326,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I think you have underachievers confused with impoverished. Wealth does not make one an overachiever. It can have quite the opposite effect.
That's the real meat of the issue right there.

The the a$$ part of the assumption is that if you don't have a new house and car its because you're lazy and not trying hard enough. But if all those "underachievers" went out and got a "real job" at a firm or in big business and finally "achieved" the country would be a wreck. Why? No cashiers to check your groceries, no laborers picking produce. All those lowley jobs are there because someone has to do it. And if society needs a job to be done, the person doing it deserves enough to live on. Paying a living wage would cure a lot of the problem and ease the need for assistance. The underachiever argument is little more than poor shaming.

Old 04-23-2016, 03:58 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,116,580 times
Quote:

The the a$$ part of the assumption is that if you don't have a new house and car its because you're lazy and not trying hard enough. But if all those "underachievers" went out and got a "real job" at a firm or in big business and finally "achieved" the country would be a wreck. Why? No cashiers to check your groceries, no laborers picking produce. All those lowley jobs are there because someone has to do it. And if society needs a job to be done, the person doing it deserves enough to live on. Paying a living wage would cure a lot of the problem and ease the need for assistance. The underachiever argument is little more than poor shaming.
The big problem is how quickly productivity has risen over two hundred years, making more and more humans idle. The OP and their ilk are only concerned about deadbeats and leeches and don't really care about the big picture.

Old 04-24-2016, 06:14 AM

89,002 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
I got financial aid at 22, I just had to have my own address and not live with my parents.
You DO understand that "financial aid" packages offered by colleges and universities include student loans, no?

Everyone: Please don't remain underinformed. Read the following:

https://fafsa.ed.gov/help/fftoc03d.htm

Old 04-24-2016, 07:08 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:

It starts in education at a young age... The overachievers are held back(no child left behind) They are leaps above those in their class. There is no money spent on them to accel.

The majority of the money is spent on those with no desire to achieve much, but a good time and having fun.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
The big problem is how quickly productivity has risen over two hundred years, making more and more humans idle. The OP and their ilk are only concerned about deadbeats and leeches and don't really care about the big picture.
You and your ilk are too ignorant to understand that the big picture is, collectivism has never worked. It has always led to economic ruin everytime.

Pouring taken resources with a boot on the throats of productive Americans, on those that have no desire or ability to be productive. What value is in that?

Old 04-24-2016, 07:32 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,197,833 times
Quote:
Our government taxes us with a boot on our throats, just to give it away without accountability to the underachievers.

How much does the government spend on the overachievers? The people that are super smart? The people that will lead this nation into the future?

Is the intent to make the underachievers be achievers? When the actual results is, no one achieves anything.

How does a nation become an economic powerhouse, with a collective mindset? ANSWER? it has never been done and history has proven over and over, it is an utter failure every time it has been tried.
So, in the name of making the US "an economic powerhouse", how do you propose to remedy this? March all the underachievers into ovens and turn on the gas?

BTW, what, exactly, is your definition of an "underachiever"?

Old 04-24-2016, 07:33 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
You and your ilk are too ignorant to understand that the big picture is, collectivism has never worked. It has always led to economic ruin everytime.
Collectively we have been bailing out Wall Street the last 8 years.

Quote:
Pouring taken resources with a boot on the throats of productive Americans, on those that have no desire or ability to be productive. What value is in that?
Much of the assistance programs go to those who are working but not making much. They are doing jobs that have to be performed by someone but are falling further and further behind because of our insistence on continued welfare programs for Wall Street.

It all starts at the top. Quit the welfare programs at the top and those on the bottom quit falling so far behind and then require less from others.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
So, in the name of making the US "an economic powerhouse", how do you propose to remedy this?
Eliminate the welfare state. And become a true free market society.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:48 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,922,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
If by 'big picture' you are including long term versus short term, I agree wholeheartedly. The 'short attention span' seems to be a root or underlying problem, & making matters worse, it's often incentivized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies