Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 02:03 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
People have often made this prediction, but so far it is not coming true. There is no general shortage of workers in Japan now. And with the rise of robotics it's hard to imagine there will be in the future. As for supporting programs, I think this is more a question of how prosperous a country is than of how many young workers it has. If the robots can help generate wealth that would solve the problem.
Robotics can only do so much right now. It would take the menial jobs but the jobs that require qualitative analysis, with maybe a combination of quantitative analysis (psychiatry is one I could think of, another could be something like sales that requires reading your client and persuading them with the use of numbers) would take a very long time if ever to be replaced by robots. Lots of people are skilled in working with other people and that will probably be the favored way of doing professional business instead of a robot, but who knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 02:04 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
The Demographic issue is temporary.

Why overpopulate a country via immigration to solve a temporary problem?
That's why I proposed my expat policy. It would be temporary influx of workers from other countries to help support the government programs. Citizenship is permanent, expats are not.

Old 04-26-2016, 04:35 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,434,654 times
Too many old people and not enough young people?

Not judging from the young people I see nowadays.

Is there a "reset" button we can push?

Old 04-26-2016, 07:07 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,756,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Aha! One of these people who thinks, in some of these 3rd world countries, these people are going to reach the ripe old age of 30-40-50-60-70-80!

After all, there's no law against sticking your head in the sand!
You claim to be worried that the global population is shrinking. I google it for you, find the correct information and provide a link. You refuse to believe it and I'm the one putting my head in the sand?

It doesn't matter how long people live. The only relevant numbers here are total births and deaths. The former is currently 228,000 more than the latter each day and there is no end to this trend in sight. So relax. Humanity is not shrinking. If that's your concern then a great weight has now been lifted off your shoulders.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:27 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,756,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Please explain the purpose of this policy.
The purpose of encouraging smart people to have babies? Have you seen the movie, Idiocracy? It could happen. The civilization we have built over the last few thousand years, especially the last couple hundred, could easily go away if the percentage of smart people in the population drops too low. And it won't be as funny as in the movie with people electing pro wrestlers president and trying to grow crops with Brawndo energy drink. It will be living in sh*t 24/7 with nothing but a smokey fire for heat and light after sunset, worrying about food, and about being hacked to death in a raid or eaten by wild animals. It will be a return to the short, brutal lives of our ancestors.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:48 AM

23,221 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Quote:
You claim to be worried that the global population is shrinking. I google it for you, find the correct information and provide a link. You refuse to believe it and I'm the one putting my head in the sand?

It doesn't matter how long people live. The only relevant numbers here are total births and deaths. The former is currently 228,000 more than the latter each day and there is no end to this trend in sight. So relax. Humanity is not shrinking. If that's your concern then a great weight has now been lifted off your shoulders.
Are living corpses factored in as well, a population that also keeps growing every day?

Come to where I work sometime, particularly the Vent/Trac unit, and you'll know what I'm talking about!

Old 04-26-2016, 11:00 AM

35,691 posts, read 21,045,148 times
Quote:
The goal should not be general population growth but to specifically encourage smart people to reproduce. Without some kind of positive eugenics policy we may be headed for a global dark age.
Give people who have themselves reached a certain level of education and/or test at a certain IQ level incentives to have more children. Promising that their children would get free tuition would be one way to do it among many.

mixing the two?? IQ is born- poor people are born with high IQ- yet have NO education- or options

-- some are well off and need no babies they in life for the money power and fun times-

this incentive cannot apply as they already can afford it-- but truth be told- cannot make a high IQ nation--

Old 04-26-2016, 11:36 AM

4,794 posts, read 2,799,413 times
Default In the West, public education is a given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
There is no problem and anyone who wants a college education can pay for it themselves.
In the US? Here it would be more to the point - encouraging population growth - to provide more & better health care for pregnant women & young children - up to say age 5 or so. As well as funding Kindergarten fully, so that all children whose parents want to send them can do so.

The college education part - colleges, universities, technical & vocational schools are mostly sustained by government - the tuition & room & board barely break even. K-12 & college & etc. are investments in future growth that the state as a whole makes. Granted that state priorities have to align with future workforce needs to a large extent - or the states' investment may not pay off soon or - worst case - @ all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies