Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 07:33 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The opinion, by Judge Thomas D. Schroeder of Federal District Court in Winston-Salem, upheld the repeal of a provision that allowed people to register and vote on the same day. It also upheld a seven-day reduction in the early-voting period; the end of preregistration, which allowed some people to sign up before their 18th birthdays; and the repeal of a provision that allowed for the counting of ballots cast outside voters’ home precinct.

Please tell me how the things listed in that quote prevent voter fraud? That's the problem with these 'voter ID' laws, they don't stop at ID's they do everything they can to discourage EVERYTHING except absentee voting which are the biggest source of voter fraud, and that's because reliable republican voters use absentee ballots more than any other group
Why don't you just come out and say exactly how you feel about our military members?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 07:38 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,724,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Have a national ID card, and when a person turns 18 that is used to vote.
End of story.
We have that. It is called a US Passport.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:52 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"that's because reliable republican voters use absentee ballots more than any other group" Since you "know" this, I would like to the data you have to support it.
IF it is true, I wouldn't be surprised to find that most of the repub absentee ballots are form the military voters stationed all over the world.
Here you go:

"Absentee voters tend to be older and whiter than in-person voters. In 2012, nearly half, or 46 percent, of mail-in voters were aged 60 and older, and more than 75 percent were white, according to an analysis by Michael McDonald, a political science professor at the University of Florida who tracks demographic trends in voting. Older white Americans generally are more likely to vote Republican"

Republicans are in fact more likely than Democrats to vote absentee. In the 2008 general election in Florida, 47 percent of absentee voters were Republicans and 36 percent were Democrats.

No, most absentee ballots are NOT from military members. I'm not going to waste a lot of time on this, you can do your own research but here is one example: In 2012 37,955 military members requested absentee ballots in Florida, the total number of absentee ballots cast in Florida in 2012 was 2,358,638

Old 04-27-2016, 07:55 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,842,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
I will never understand the rationale that requiring an ID to vote is somehow suppressing minorities.

How anyone can get through life without a gov't issued ID is probably a bigger concern. Why don't these people have ID? what are they hiding, or are they truly "off the grid" and live like people did in the 1800's?
Perhaps you could read some of the testimony in the court cases where some of the people affected by these laws explained their circumstances.

Currently Government IDs are not required. I guess if the law was changed to everyone most have a government ID and that the government must guarantee that everyone has it then it wouldn't be as big of an issue.

Many people without ID who are not doing anything nefarious.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
We have that. It is called a US Passport.
If the Federal government started issuing free passports to everyone born in the US then this would be less of an issue.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:43 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,729,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
If the Federal government started issuing free passports to everyone born in the US then this would be less of an issue.
Hey, maybe they should.

Trouble is, a US Passport wouldn't make sense. I live in Illinois, so I should need to reasonably demonstrate that I am indeed a resident of Illinois in order to vote here. What's to stop a person from voting in multiple states? But whatever ID is acceptable, it must be free and the state making the voter ID law must foot the bill if and when complications arise. That's only fair.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:51 AM

35,681 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Have a national ID card, and when a person turns 18 that is used to vote.
End of story.

Maybe the SScard should have a picture --again expensive! and a picture of a baby? when they turn 18?
maybe we could have SS buses with cameras etc-- to go through out rural America and ID people- the census go out--why not the SSI--- willing to pay?

Old 04-27-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Hey, maybe they should.

Trouble is, a US Passport wouldn't make sense. I live in Illinois, so I should need to reasonably demonstrate that I am indeed a resident of Illinois in order to vote here. What's to stop a person from voting in multiple states? But whatever ID is acceptable, it must be free and the state making the voter ID law must foot the bill if and when complications arise. That's only fair.
I think if a state is going to make it a requirement to have a particular ID to vote then they should assume the responsibility to make sure everyone who wants one gets one. The responsibility should go beyond cost.

I won't attempt to design the system in this post, however perhaps whenever or wherever you register to vote your picture can be taken. For people doing door to door registrations they could be supplied with State supplied cameras or other means to submit photos with the registration.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:24 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,724,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Hey, maybe they should.

You would show up with your passport AND a something with your address on it.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:42 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
I have no idea how adults function without an ID.

I am more concerned about a state that significantly reduces the number of polling places , making voting a challenge and/or a time consuming event for voters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies