Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 12:05 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
No one will ever know what's really wrong with Hillary because like most pols she is a habitual liar and us little folk don't get to question her.
If only their ilk could be sued for fraud
I would feel like that too knowing that you are going to be stuck with Trump or Cruz as your candidate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 12:47 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I would feel like that too knowing that you are going to be stuck with Trump or Cruz as your candidate.
I'm not a Republican lol but it's cute you think Hillary is any different than they are

Old 04-27-2016, 04:54 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,925,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
They are the problem however, what people fail to see, is that they (the government) depend on uninformed voters.

Uninformed people, allow government to cheat and lie, and rob us.

for instance, here are a few examples....

any employee that thinks and believes, it's ok to spend money, go out for elaborate lunches, on the boss's money, there is something wrong.

any employee, who feels it's ok to take elaborate vacations, charging it up on the boss's credit card, is wrong.

I've seen this happening my entire life? Talk about entitlements? I've seen Presidents, use Air Force One for Personal flights

And how bout the Presidential parties, who pays for that? How bout the Inaugural Ball?

This has got to stop....! We are their boss, we pay for all that extravagance, and America is broke.

The same with Wall street, talk about extravagance, and all their strip club parties....

This has got to stop...period.....

Stop giving our money away to people who leach off American Taxpayers money

I watched a video yesterday, of a Run. At different points of that run, they had stocked cases of water, for the runners....do you know people came in and started stealing all that water....pathetic....this is exactly what our leaders have caused.

It is time, each and ever person who wants to live in America, do their fair share of working and giving back, paying taxes, etc.

We are not setting good examples for our children....and we need to.
Thanks & respect for replying to my post, I hear what you're saying here however I think it's possible you may have meant to reply to a different comment?

Old 04-27-2016, 08:12 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I'm not a Republican lol but it's cute you think Hillary is any different than they are
I know. That's funny. My mom is for Hillary and hates Trump. I said Mom, they are like twins. They think alike, they have the same ideas, the same friends, they ARE friends. They both lie like a rug. She just does not get it.

Personally, no way am I voting for any of the final four. They are all too far off for me. I'll be writing in or going alternate party.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger Fan View Post
There are a lot of things that Democrats would rather fix about the economy/taxation/social situation in the country that they've been quite vocal about for a long time.

But to your claims, you have to understand how congress works. All legislation and budgeting has to go through congress before being signed by the President. The President is actually VERY limited in what he/she can do if congress decides they do not want to cooperate. How "in control" of congress have democrats been? Well, let's look.

Democrats won the house and the presidency in 2008. These people took office in January of 2009. The senate however was still in the hands of republicans. even with independents, Democrats didn't have 60 votes. Keep in mind that while the house requires a simple majority, the senate requires a 60 vote margin (out of 100) to prevent a filibuster by the opposing party. this is a procedural move that will stop legislation stone dead. It used to be that to filibuster a senator would have to literally speak on the floor of the senate for as long as they wanted to stop a bill- current rules simplify this so it's no longer necessary. One just needs to express the desire to filibuster a bill and there it is.

Why didn't the democrats have 60 votes? Two reasons:

1.)Senator Arlen Specter was a republican Senator from Pennsylvania, but a moderate one. He had increasingly been fending off Primary challenges and it appeared that he would be losing the republican primary to (current senator) Pat Toomey. Specter made a deal with the democrats to switch parties, going from R to D in April of 2009.

Even with that, Democrats were still short the 60 vote margin. Why is this?

2.) Norm Coleman and Al Franken had an incredibly close election in Minnesota. This went to recount, then to the courts over a period of several months. Franken was certified the winner on June 30th, 2009.by a margin of a few hundred votes.

THAT gave democrats control of the house and a supermajority in the Senate as of July 2009. (meaning republicans could not block legislation with a filibuster). Unfortunately for Democrats, Ted Kennedy dies in August, leaving them one vote short in the senate. Paul Kirk was appointed interim Senator in September 2009, and a special election was set to take place for a permanent replacement in January. Tons of money poured into that race on both sides, with Republican Senator scott brown defeating Democratic candidate Martha Coakley. Democrats lost their supermajority in January 2010 when Brown was seated.

Total that up, Democrats had "control" of the senate for a whopping 5 months before republicans gained the ability to simply block everything coming out of the democratic controlled house. Making things worse, democrats took a serious beating in the 2010 races and lost the house as of January 2011. Since the budget has to originate in the house, Republicans have controlled the federal budget process since 2011, meaning a lot of democratic priorities were simply dead in the water, even with the presidency.

Generally, democrats point to republican obstructionism as the thing that has prevented them from obtaining their policy goals (improving infrastructure, education, tax policy overhauls, etc) with the exception of Obamacare, which is all they had time to push through the house and senate during the period where they controlled both.

Clear?
Yeah, so like I said, they had the head guy for 7.5 years, house and senate for a couple years and a super majority with the (I's) for a while and with everything they said they were ready to do, Hillary says it still all stinks.

Got it. Thanks.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:30 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Got it.
uh...

Not so much.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:48 AM

633 posts, read 640,445 times
Quote:
Yeah, so like I said, they had the head guy for 7.5 years, house and senate for a couple years and a super majority with the (I's) for a while and with everything they said they were ready to do, Hillary says it still all stinks.

Got it. Thanks.
I don't think you do. The filibuster means that no one "controls" the senate unless they have 60 votes. Otherwise the opposing party can block legislation. Democrats had 60 votes for a total of 5 months, not two years.

If you asked me whether republicans "control" the senate right now I'd say no they don't- since they do not have the ability to pass anything unless they can convince democrats to compromise. They have a majority (over 50 votes) they do not have control (over 60). Most of the bills the republican house has passed (say, the several dozen attempts to repeal obamacare) dies a miserable death in the senate because no one has the ability to just push legislation though with single party participation.

The OP pretends that frustration with republican obstructionism is something totally new that Hillary has invented when many democrats including Obama himself have been VERY vocal that republican refusal to compromise has prevented him from enacting most of his policy goals. He has no control over the budget, since the republicans have been responsible for crafting that for the past 6 years.(2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016) Without the ability to control the budget, nothing gets funded. You can't fund it? you can't do it. And to make matters worse we've been in a state of "sequester" that pares down the budget to critical levels because republicans can't agree on a budget either. Democrats have been "ready" to do things for a long time- but without republican cooperation, it's been impossible.

Hillary (unlike sanders) has spent a lot of time and money raising funds and stumping for congressional democrats, because she's aware that the only way she gets anything done is if democrats build a supermajority in the senate again, and a majority in the house. "Everything stinks" because its no longer the 1980s, and republicans see no benefit to any kind of compromise with democrats.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:09 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,627,476 times
People seem to hear what they want. I wouldn't vote for any of these Republicans. I heard Cruz say he wants to get government out of our lives. Really? I think that is a prescription for disaster. Think about it. No Medicare, no Social security, flat tax? No EPA, no government regulation? What about the corporate welfare? The money and benefits some of these businesses get is ridiculous.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:32 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:

Got it. Thanks.
No, you don't 'got it'. I posted a link to a video of her speech along with a written transcription. There is nothing in it consistent with your claim that "she made it sound like everything in this country is god awful" But you continue to say repeat the same line, that "Hillary says it all stinks". If you were referring to another speech, then please post a link to it because that is NOT what she said in the speech you referenced.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:52 PM

They passed things in the senate with a simple majority, claiming special budgetary rules....which they find a way to apply to everything.

Tired of excuses from politicians on both sides and can't believe how their flocks defend them, but attack the other side for the exact same things........LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies