Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 02:05 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,371,441 times

Advertisements

I was in the supermarket this afternoon and I overheard a conversation between a vendor who was stocking the shelves and a store employee. The vendor was black.

The store employee asked how the vendor's day was going and he said that he got accused of stealing by some elderly person who reported him to store security. I guess he saw a black man in a non-store uniform handling lots of merchandise (he was stocking shelves) and assumed he was stealing or something.

I can't explain the "logic" behind that one, it boggles the mind how someone is stocking shelves could look like they were stealing. So the store security brushed the guy off but I guess still told the vendor about it.

So, I was thinking.. I would never be in a situation like that. Where people assume the worst about me based on how I look and I thought of how many other times he likely witnessed casual racism like that in his life.

So, I can see the argument where I have a privilege or an advantage to move about in life without people assuming the worst about me based on how I look.

Although, I don't really see it so much as a privilege since I see privileges as something above and beyond what most people have or should have. I don't see how being treated with simple respect should be a privilege. It's more of a burden when you are not.

I also think many white liberals and black lives matter folks take this notion to some ridiculous extremes but I can see where the basic idea has merit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 02:10 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times
You actually do not know what happen in entirety becaue you used "guess" to explain an action which is part of the story but unknown to you.

You are guessing and inputing your own biases.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:31 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
I had the cops called on me once because I was standing outside of a watch repair store and someone, do not know who, thought I was going to break in to it. I am white, so I guess I am not a card carrying member of this supposed white privilege club.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:35 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,909,526 times
A delusional and racist elderly person reporting a vendor as a shoplifter is not a representation of what is or could be 'white privilege' based on an assumption that it would not happen to a white person.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:41 PM

23,541 posts, read 17,219,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
I was in the supermarket this afternoon and I overheard a conversation between a vendor who was stocking the shelves and a store employee. The vendor was black.

The store employee asked how the vendor's day was going and he said that he got accused of stealing by some elderly person who reported him to store security. I guess he saw a black man in a non-store uniform handling lots of merchandise (he was stocking shelves) and assumed he was stealing or something.

I can't explain the "logic" behind that one, it boggles the mind how someone is stocking shelves could look like they were stealing. So the store security brushed the guy off but I guess still told the vendor about it.

So, I was thinking.. I would never be in a situation like that. Where people assume the worst about me based on how I look and I thought of how many other times he likely witnessed casual racism like that in his life.

So, I can see the argument where I have a privilege or an advantage to move about in life without people assuming the worst about me based on how I look.

Although, I don't really see it so much as a privilege since I see privileges as something above and beyond what most people have or should have. I don't see how being treated with simple respect should be a privilege. It's more of a burden when you are not.

I also think many white liberals and black lives matter folks take this notion to some ridiculous extremes but I can see where the basic idea has merit.
Common to have old folks suffering from the strain of dementia accuse pretty much anyone around them of stealing. I have seen this happen before. At some point you can no longer help because they truly believe you are stealing their money, cups and dishes and anyhting else.

White privelege is the latest social justice excuse used to further divide the nation.
Behavior, appearance and comportment are useful for anyone to consider. Beyond that there are plenty of prejudiced people who use far more variables than race to prejudge a situation.

You happen to look like your boss or coworkers ex and she treats you like dirt. you look like someone's drunk uncle Vince and you get treated like a pariaha.

Prejudgement transcends race. To believe in white privelege is to forever hold a grudge and feel oppressed and divert your energy into the ground. there is no solution when you think that white privlege is real except to supress or eliminate that natural born deficit of being white. That is to create eternal enemies not supporters....just like the middle east cultures who kill, because someone's granfather many times removed stole some other guys goat long before Christ walked the earth.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:44 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post

That whole post means nothing. My husband repaired business equipment. He is white. I cannot tell you how many times his being in a store has confused store patrons. One lady in a department store got really huffy with him because he would not help her select a new bedspread. He explained to her that he did not work for that store. Her reply was, "If you don't work here, what are you doing behind that cash register?" It has nothing to do with color. It has to do with being at a place and doing what is not usual for someone who is not an employee of said store.

Privilege is getting benefits because of race, gender, etc. The only privileged classes in America are minorities and women. What men are not in a minority class. If they can be sued if they don't hire or work with you, that is a privileged class. I would say white men are the least privileged in America today.

Last edited by NCN; 04-27-2016 at 02:56 PM..

Old 04-27-2016, 02:54 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,118,499 times
There is no white privelege. There is only black privelege. If you are black, you can put in dramitcally less effort and they will still find a sport for you in universites and places of business. If you are black, anything you say, regardless of how terrible, will be defended or at least immediately forgotten because no one will have the dsire to hold you accountable. Anything you do, including crime, will be defended as a legacy of your faux oppression.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:00 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
You didn't witness anything. You over heard something.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:33 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,388,956 times
everything in life follows a pattern, if you look long enough, anything can be figured out with minimum effect because it will follow a pattern. So is one is accused of something, nine out of ten times, there a pattern

Old 04-27-2016, 03:34 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
I am not racially biased. I do not like or trust any strangers. I am suspicious of everyone.

Agent Orange and PTSD. The gifts that keep on giving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies