Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 07:42 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,898,341 times

Advertisements

For the life of me, I cannot understand why politicians keep saying they will "repeal" Obamacare. IMO, that is a bad statement to make. I have yet to hear a viable plan from any of them to replace it. If they actually had a better plan, I can see them saying something like "We will replace the ACA with a new & improved plan that will do blah, blah, blah". However, there are people who are currently using Obamacare, for better or worse, and just to say they are going to repeal it and leave it at that, it's like "yeah, and then what? Then what am I going to do?"

Besides being a horrible political move, I think it is just downright disingenuous. You can't just yank away health insurance coverage from people and a system years in the making and leave it at that.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:46 PM

45,221 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Well it's a terrible law that is going to reduce overall longevity and health of Americans.But repealing it only to replace with some other govt managed fiasco is a terrible idea.
Repeal and get govt out of our health care all together.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:56 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,442,995 times
The GOP never has any ideas for nothing. I mean seriously...they've consistently been a thorn in the side of any progress and generally never pass anything out of Congress unless its tax cuts for the wealthy that dont work or rubber stamping any war anywhere at anytime

GOP=always useless

Old 04-27-2016, 08:01 PM

4,606 posts, read 3,298,895 times
Obamacare has been a clarion call for Republicans to rally around ever since it was passed. The law as finally passed was so emasculated by Republicans that it is now nothing like the plan that Obama envisaged when he first announced his plan. However, despite the fact nearly every presidential candidate has stated he will get rid of Obamacare, not a single one of them has anything to replace it.

The people would not stand for an action like this.

The poster above would "get the govt. out of our health care," but he would just drop us back into the hands of non-competitive insurance companies, who will charge the heck out of us on premiums until no one but big companies can afford to insure their employees - again. The rest of everyone else would just be uninsured - again, going to the emergency room for everything, which just gets passed on to general hospital costs, which just raises our insurance premiums.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:03 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,442,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
The poster above would "get the govt. out of our health care," but he would just drop us back into the hands of non-competitive insurance companies, who will charge the heck out of us on premiums until no one but big companies can afford to insure their employees - again. The rest of everyone else would just be uninsured - again, going to the emergency room for everything, which just gets passed on to general hospital costs, which just raises our insurance premiums.
The whole irony about Obamacare is that it was a Republican idea and proposal straight out of the Heritage foundation

That's how dumb the Republicans are

Old 04-27-2016, 08:17 PM

21,096 posts, read 19,703,590 times
https://www.donaldjtrump.com/positio...lthcare-reform

Old 04-27-2016, 08:18 PM

23,546 posts, read 17,219,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
For the life of me, I cannot understand why politicians keep saying they will "repeal" Obamacare. IMO, that is a bad statement to make. I have yet to hear a viable plan from any of them to replace it. If they actually had a better plan, I can see them saying something like "We will replace the ACA with a new & improved plan that will do blah, blah, blah". However, there are people who are currently using Obamacare, for better or worse, and just to say they are going to repeal it and leave it at that, it's like "yeah, and then what? Then what am I going to do?"

Besides being a horrible political move, I think it is just downright disingenuous. You can't just yank away health insurance coverage from people and a system years in the making and leave it at that.
I rarely ever use the term 'stupid', but it does apply to the legislators who passed obamacare without reading or understandiing the legislation they passed. If that didn't cause anyone to complain why ask for a detailed plan now?

If 'you' were comfortable with 'we have to pass it to se what is in it, the collective'you' has no right to expect an answer to what happens when..... just shut up and wait until new laws are passed....you'll save 2,500 $$ and you can keep your doctor if you like your doctor. there! that's the details you were fed. how'd that work out?

If a politician tells you what he will do, he is lying or exaggerating because such a large issue cannot be decided by one person and must go through several iterations tempered by argument and challenge from all sides.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:28 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,898,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
I rarely ever use the term 'stupid', but it does apply to the legislators who passed obamacare without reading or understandiing the legislation they passed. If that didn't cause anyone to complain why ask for a detailed plan now?

If 'you' were comfortable with 'we have to pass it to se what is in it, the collective'you' has no right to expect an answer to what happens when..... just shut up and wait until new laws are passed....you'll save 2,500 $$ and you can keep your doctor if you like your doctor. there! that's the details you were fed. how'd that work out?

If a politician tells you what he will do, he is lying or exaggerating because such a large issue cannot be decided by one person and must go through several iterations tempered by argument and challenge from all sides.
Oh, I understand it is severely flawed and should not have passed until they got it right and covered everyone properly, took care of the lawsuit issue, the state line issue and on and on. But so much has gone into it, systems have been set up in so many states and many people have gone through a lot to get on it. A politician really is not smart to just say they are going to throw it away, without first having a replacement plan ready to go.

FIRST figure out how the plan should have been done in the first place, get everything ready to go, explain how it will work, THEN make the change, Don't scare the crap out of people on it.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:35 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
The ACA turned 6 years old this month. Since then, not a single alternative has gained traction in Congress.

Not to worry. Trump says he will " replace it with something wonderful that will take care of everybody and the government will pay for it".

And the massive crowds roar with their approval.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:38 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,116,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The ACA turned 6 years old this month. Since then, not a single alternative has gained traction in Congress.

Not to worry. Trump says he will " replace it with something wonderful that will take care of everybody and the government will pay for it".

And the massive crowds roar with their approval.
They believe in the republican version of hope and change!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies