Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 12:48 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
All you have done is state your opinion that coal is superior to wind and solar, but I guess if you want to pretend that to be factual information, that is fine too, I am just stating that you shouldn't expect someone to believe you when you have the word "coal" in your name....
It is superior to wind or solar.

What irritates you is that statement is correct. Wind and solar are too fickle a source.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 06:39 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Funny, I already Googled that, I guess you didn't read any of those links. Here is a fun one for you to read over.

Top 10 Solar Myths - Pure Energies
This is a "solar for dummies" page. For example:

Quote:
In fact, solar panels are actually more efficient at cooler temperatures than hot ones.
True however this is negligible compared to how much less sun you get in a colder climate. Firstly that sunlight has to travel through a great deal more of the atmosphere when the sun is low on the horizon. Secondly if the panels are in a static position year round they will be tilted and pointed in a direction that is best for the year round average. Last but not least the days are short.

Have you looked at the actual data for how much energy is collected sunny vs. cloudy days or are you simply relying on bland websites making generalized statements?

Solar Nemesis: Rain

Old 05-04-2016, 06:50 AM

2,464 posts, read 1,286,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
This is a "solar for dummies" page. For example:

True however this is negligible compared to how much less sun you get in a colder climate. Firstly that sunlight has to travel through a great deal more of the atmosphere when the sun is low on the horizon. Secondly if the panels are in a static position year round they will be tilted and pointed in a direction that is best for the year round average. Last but not least the days are short.

Have you looked at the actual data for how much energy is collected sunny vs. cloudy days or are you simply relying on bland websites making generalized statements?

Solar Nemesis: Rain
Well you did Google that "solar for dummies" page, so I figured you read it. I also know the actual data to solar, but I also realize it would be a waste of my time to argue it to someone who literally has the word "coal" in their name because you will never consider yourself wrong about coal, nor will you accept the benefits of solar, you will just continue to look for false flaws about it to justify why you think coal is superior.

You do realize your data is from an amateur solar panelist, and it is just his personal home data. This would be useful information if you plan to put solar panels on your house, but not the same as if solar panels were to be built as a power station.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Well you did Google that "solar for dummies" page, so I figured you read it. I also know the actual data to solar, but I also realize it would be a waste of my time to argue it to someone who literally has the word "coal" in their name because you will never consider yourself wrong about coal,
That page is what you linked to, not me. I'm not offering you opinions, I'm making knowledgeable statements of facts.

Quote:
The total capacity in the US is about 1000 gigawatts, this is determined by what will be peak demand. This is the threshold you need to meet to prevent blackouts during high demand periods. Setting aside the cost compared to fossil fuels suppose you replace that with 1000 gigawatts of solar capacity. Now suppose you can meet demand for about 8 hours as long as the weather is cooperating..... what are you going to do for the next 16 hours?

You capacity requirements just tripled to 3000 gigawatts and you need the means to store 16 hours of production during that 8 hours you can generate electric.

When the sun doesn't shine the next day? Your capacity requirements are now at 6000 gigawatts and you need the means to store 40 hours of production.

When the sun doesn't shine for the next week? When you are in the Northern part of the US and you are only getting 4 hours of good sun assuming the weather is cooperating?

Do you see where this is going? This is and always will be the Achilles heal of solar and wind. Your capacity and storage needs increase exponentially.
If you wish to comment of the specifics of what I outlined then please elaborate.
Quote:

You do realize your data is from an amateur solar panelist, and it is just his personal home data. This would be useful information if you plan to put solar panels on your house, but not the same as if solar panels were to be built as a power station.
<sigh> It's not my data and you can find numerous other examples. Power From The Sun :: Chapter 2

Old 05-04-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
but I also realize it would be a waste of my time to argue it to someone who literally has the word "coal" in their name because you will never consider yourself wrong about coal,.
One other thing the only argument you have produced is my username. Just an FYI, my username has to do with the anthracite home heating industry. This is something I have never hidden from anyone, any increases in the cost of energy whether it's electric or whatever will line my pockets further. My wallet thanks you for your ignorance.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:41 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Attack the message and not the source, or you lose the battle immediately.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:12 AM

2,464 posts, read 1,286,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
One other thing the only argument you have produced is my username. Just an FYI, my username has to do with the anthracite home heating industry. This is something I have never hidden from anyone, any increases in the cost of energy whether it's electric or whatever will line my pockets further. My wallet thanks you for your ignorance.
Oh I am sure you enjoy charging more for your product, what business person wouldn't, but I can also imagine that you would be nervous that solar and wind could easily make your industry obsolete, which is bad for your wallet.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:49 AM

59,022 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowtreatments View Post
Sadly we've come to point that we can no longer trust any federal agency.

Icegate: Now NSIDC Caught Tampering With Climate Records
"Sadly we've come to point that we can no longer trust any federal agency."

Where have you been for the past decades?

Old 05-04-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
but I can also imagine that you would be nervous that solar and wind could easily make your industry obsolete, which is bad for your wallet.
LOL.... now you are just making a fool of yourself.

Quote:
..it's Jan 1st in the northeast US. The temperature is minus 10, it's snowing blocking what little sun there is, very little wind and as 7 PM approaches electric is now hitting a peak demand record.
That's your threshold, outline how you are going to meet this demand with solar and solar wind. Keep in mind a house heated with electric has about 4 to 6 times the demand for electric as household being heated by other fuel. When you have come up with calculations let's see them.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:31 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
I am heartened by the observation that the globe will do whatever physical law dictates regardless of what humanity believes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies