Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 10:51 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,617,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Did they go to public school?
I asked the question first. What is the secret US government plan that pays for all the babies?

Next question I asked first and you didn't answer: how are taxpayers paying for maternity leave?

Old 05-05-2016, 10:59 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,509,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
Oh geez, this is ridiculous

Do you drive on roads? Interstates? Ever use a library? Call the fire department? Police?
HUGE difference. Everybody uses roads, library and fire department... not everybody goes to public schools - only those who have children do.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:01 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,631,601 times
Quote:
HUGE difference. Everybody uses roads, library and fire department... not everybody goes to public schools - only those who have children do.
Nope, they are all public services. You can use them but aren't forced to. No one forces you to use roads, libraries, or fire department. It's a choice for you.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
People who smoke and drink pay more insurance. People who do other dangerous activities pay more insurance or flat-out are denied for any insurance.

Medicaid and Medicare are government sponsored, I mean taxpayer sponsored.

Again, pregnancy is not "insurable." People don't insure to avoid pregnancy. All the insurers are required to pay more so that the insurance company can cover those who choose to get pregnant because the insurance companies believe having higher premium to cover pregnancy would get them more business - the consumers are footing the bill anyway.
So insurance is bad?

Lord, you don't even know how insurance works, do you?

Old 05-05-2016, 11:06 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,610,676 times
Quote:
We all use public schools indirectly, though, even the childless.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
We all use public schools indirectly, though, even the childless.
My youngest is 30 years old. She's been out of the school system for a long time. I live in a high-tax township and most of the money goes to the schools. They are excellent schools and many people move here BECAUSE of the schools.

After my daughter graduated, I briefly resented having to pay such high taxes until I realized that the schools make this a desirable area, and that tremendously increases the value of my real estate.

So, I don't complain!

Old 05-05-2016, 11:16 AM

36,160 posts, read 30,636,498 times
[quote=lifeexplorer;43950861]
Quote:
Employers don't have to anything but when they offer one benefit to one group of people specifically, that's discrimination.
Not necessarily. Many benefits are offered to only full time employees, bonuses only to those with so many years at the company, etc. FMLA is available to anyone who meets the criteria. You seem to on the same thought wave as the woman in the article in that you think you are discriminated against if you don't receive everything anyone else does even thought it doesn't apply to you. There is this thing called a guideline, qualifications, etc. It is not discrimination if you don't fall within those guidelines.

This all reminds me of the days when I worked for government handout programs and we distributed commodities (government cheese). We use to joke that if we were giving out bags of dog poop there would be people standing in that line demanding a bag just because they felt they were entitled to it if someone else was getting a bag.

Quote:
I have to remind you once again, for the millionth time, pregnancy is not sickness! You can't compare pregnancy with a heart disease. Not the same thing. This discussion is going nowhere if you continue to compare pregnancy with sickness. We need to agree at least that pregnancy is not sickness, not comparable with other diseases.
It does not matter if it is a sickness. FMLA covers family situations and having a baby falls within that. It also covers deployment and other military situations, caring for a sick family member is also covered. And just FYI there are legitimate sicknesses and conditions related to pregnancy and childbirth. FMLA also has those pesky guidelines so certain people are not eligible for it. Most employers grant extended unpaid leave regardless of FMLA requirements.

Quote:
We can compare pregnancy with climbing Mount Everest though since both are by choice and both can be exhausting. Should I, who wish to climb Mount Everest, be able to take time off afterwards just like maternity leave?
Yes, if you employer agrees but it is not covered under FMLA.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:29 AM

1,259 posts, read 2,253,580 times
Quote:
People who smoke and drink pay more insurance. People who do other dangerous activities pay more insurance or flat-out are denied for any insurance.

Medicaid and Medicare are government sponsored, I mean taxpayer sponsored.

Again, pregnancy is not "insurable." People don't insure to avoid pregnancy. All the insurers are required to pay more so that the insurance company can cover those who choose to get pregnant because the insurance companies believe having higher premium to cover pregnancy would get them more business - the consumers are footing the bill anyway.

Eligibility

Directly from their website.

You need to pay EI premiums on all your earnings up to a maximum amount. In 2016, for every $100 you earn, your employer will deduct $1.88, until your annual earnings reach the maximum yearly insurable amount of $50,800. The maximum amount of premiums to be paid in 2016 is therefore $955.04.

Anything is insurable. If J.Lo can insure her butt then why can't pregnancy be insured?

Old 05-05-2016, 11:31 AM

28,883 posts, read 30,164,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
My youngest is 30 years old. She's been out of the school system for a long time. I live in a high-tax township and most of the money goes to the schools. They are excellent schools and many people move here BECAUSE of the schools.

After my daughter graduated, I briefly resented having to pay such high taxes until I realized that the schools make this a desirable area, and that tremendously increases the value of my real estate.

So, I don't complain!
hey, I heard a while back, that people are moving out of NJ due to high tax costs, and other prices. is that true?

Old 05-05-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
hey, I heard a while back, that people are moving out of NJ due to high tax costs, and other prices. is that true?
People are always moving out of one state or another. Taxes are generally high here, but the availability of jobs and the high salaries make up for them.

Retired people (of which I am one) are probably the largest demographic to move out of state. However, lots of younger people are moving IN for the jobs and pay.

Actually, I rarely go on the New Jersey forum because 90% of the threads are from people wanting to move into the state!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies